Can I turn this to chrome?

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
Is it possible in photoshop (or lightroom) to turn this black plastic oil cooler cover (arrowed) into chrome to match the rest of the chrome of the bike, and if so how please?

A9_01503-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

Just some thinking out loud.

Any colour should be selectable using the 'colour picker' and if you can do so using an area of the chrome it logically can be done. The oil cooler looks like it has various 'areas' of colour......so some creative use the tool(s) to change colours :thinking:

Just some thinking out loud.

Any colour should be selectable using the 'colour picker' and if you can do so using an area of the chrome it logically can be done. The oil cooler looks like it has various 'areas' of colour......so some creative use the tool(s) to change colours :thinking:
Thanks, I’ll look into colour picker (y)

You could try this, just a thought.

Colour picker is the exact tool for the job :)
Thanks. I really need to watch some videos on this as I've just tried and all I get it a 'block colour' rather than getting the mirror finish.

Last edited:
If you look at the (?)screen hardware(?) at the top of the forks (the only flat piece of chrome I can see on the bike and it's at the same angle as the oil cooler shell), you can see what sort of colour it's giving you. The front of the right hand fork shroud will give you a colour for the front face of the cooler and the edge will be a (probably close to blown) highlight.

Don’t forget that part of getting it to look like chrome will be the reflections and not just colour - so may need a bit of clever cloning work from areas like the exhaust or mudguard - allowing for the shape difference to keep it consistent.
Good luck :)

Don’t forget that part of getting it to look like chrome will be the reflections and not just colour - so may need a bit of clever cloning work from areas like the exhaust or mudguard - allowing for the shape difference to keep it consistent.
Good luck :)
Thanks, I was thinking I might try cloning instead (y)

Easy enough with exposure/curves adjustments... need some blown highlights, sky blue, and maybe ground reflection.
I'd show a quick edit, but you have no selected.
Thanks, feel free. Here's a link to the original file

My attempts so far look like a two year old's coloured them in :LOL:

Slabby bits of chrome reflecting the sky sometimes do!

So I've had another go, looks better this time (still room for improvement obviously). Cloning worked better for me than the colour picker tbh.

Been a good exercise as it's save me wasting £150 on a chrome oil cooler cover :LOL:

A9_01503-Edit copy by TDG-77, on Flickr

I had to give it a go too

My effort
yVpeVcU.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
FWIW, I think Steven's edit is the best (so far!) and that if it was my bike, I'd go for the chrome cover.

Having said that, I try to dechrome as far as possible, it's only because there's so much shiny on that barge that it needs a bit more low down!

FWIW, I think Steven's edit is the best (so far!) and that if it was my bike, I'd go for the chrome cover.

Having said that, I try to dechrome as far as possible, it's only because there's so much shiny on that barge that it needs a bit more low down!
I'd definitely go chrome IF you could get a chrome cover for the regulator above it to look like this, but you can't (unless you go for the full Kuryakyn that's far too pimp for me ;)) and so I'm not sure it looks a bit strange. If it was £30 or so I'd take a punt, but it's £150 :facepalm:

A9_01503-Edit copy chrome 2 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Just oil cooler looks better to me - IMO it brings the shiny line up from the bottom of the front fender (my Triumphs have mudguards!!!) to the crash bars in a smoother way than the big step that the rectilator does.

That's a great job, thanks. I have no idea what vectors (in photoshop) are :facepalm:
I did that with Inkscape. I guess it's possible if Photoshop has vector curves. But there is no reason why you can't use another program. Drawing with curves doesn't rely on a steady brush hand. You can keep making edits to the shapes and gradients until you are satisfied.

I did that with Inkscape. I guess it's possible if Photoshop has vector curves. But there is no reason why you can't use another program. Drawing with curves doesn't rely on a steady brush hand. You can keep making edits to the shapes and gradients until you are satisfied.
Thanks, I'll probably look into that at some point.

Back