Can not work Canon camera

Edit My Images
No
Hello

I was recently given a Canon AE-1 and I just can't seem to get it to work.

I'm a complete novice, so my questions might be simple or it might just mean this old camera isn't gonna work.

I've checked the battery and the meter and that seems fine. Should I replace the battery anyway?

Basically the problem is, is that I've loaded new film and it's all done correctly (as far as I can tell) once I close the back of the camera I can take pictures, or so I presume. Once i wind back the roll the film is completely blank, it looks untouched. Can anybody identify what the problem is here? Do you need any more information?

Many thanks.

What film is it ?
Who develops it ?
What do you mean by blank, are the negs completely clear

to load the film you have to tuck the leader into the tap, turn it until it engages, close the back and fire a couple of frames off. Check the exposure counter moves on.

The film, once used and wound back into the can looks the same until its been through the developing process, its only then the pictures can be seen.

This does sound like the film wasn't loaded properly. The exposure counter will move on even if the film hasn't engaged on the take-up spool properly. The best way to check that the film is loaded is to see whether the film rewind knob rotates when you try winding the film on.

The film is Boots own-brand 35mm film, bought in the last year so it should be ok.

Ah ok, well i had taken a few frames after loading the film for the first time. I don't what you should expect, and as it was a 'practice-run' I opened the back again to see whether the film had wound correctly etc, and i thought you would be able to see some sort of image on the film of the picture you'd just taken.

Ah, I see. The image won't show until the film is developed. Before this you have what is known as a latent image which can't be seen but by exposing to light again when you opened the camera would destroy this image.

Lovely camera by the way, it was my first slr when I was 14!

I bought a second with my grant cheque when I went to college and lived on toast for a term.

now thats dedication richard, normally you're supposed to spend your grant on beer aren't you? :D

to the original poster, you've been given a splendid camera! i hope you get it working, i have one myself and i love the thing. i can't get enough of it (as you may be able to see in the "show us yer film shots" thread :LOL: )

I suggest that you download the manual for the AE-1 from here and read it thoroughly... (or Here if it's actually a AE-1 Program) which will give you full instructions on loading the film properly.

Back