Can photoshop Elements 11 read raw files?

Name
Aura
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm doing an experiement with my Nikon D500, have switched from fine to where it shoots jpeg and raw. I am going to try and upload the images to elements 11.

Can you good people tell me if it will read raw, or just be a boring black square?

Many thanks.

Yes it will Read RAW files, just depends if your camera is supported with that version of the Software.

No idea but with such a simple process just have a try and see whether it 'sees' them.

Having said that I would think just make sure that PE11 is up to date before you try it ;)

I have updated PS11 and added a few things. I got a firmware that needs putting on my Nikon?

As it's an older version I would doubt it will read Raw files from a D500, Adobe are very good at stopping support for older
versions of prgrammes so have to buy or upgrade to get full support

If elements 11 won't read the files, will the latest version of elements do this?

You can always convert your D500 files using the Adobe DNG converter (which is free). They will still be raw and Elements 11 will read them.

Alternatively grab the latest release of Elements.

Or, you could buy the Metaraw plugin which allows you to open modern camera RAW files on older Adobe products (using the DNG converter on the fly).

Where would I find the the Adobe DNG converter? Also the Metaraw plugin? I also use fast Stone, does that read raw? (Would prefere Elements).

Where do I need to click on, on the plug in site please?

Or download Nikon nx-d for free and convert through that.

I have PSE 11 and the software can be updated to Camera RAW version 7.4 but no further. The Nikon D500 needs a minimum of Camera RAW version 9.5 so at least PSE 15 is required which ships with Camera Raw version 9.6. Two of my cameras produce RAW files which cannot be opened in PSE 11 but can be opened in LR5. Eventually I will have to resort to the DNG converter, I would have updated LR5, but not now, as its gone down the rental software route.

Double checked - Actually PSE 14 can be updated to Camera Raw 9.5

Last edited:
Actually, with a tiny bit of fiddling, any version of PSE can be updated to the latest CameraRAW.
You need to download and install the current CameraRAW from Adobe.
Then copy 'Camera Raw.8bi'
from 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats'
to 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements xx\File Formats' where xx is your version of PSE, over-writing the existing file. (Okay, if you're sensible, you'll rename the old file first.)
(if you have PSE 12 or earlier, substitute 'Program Files (x86)' for 'Program Files' in both locations.)
Convert your RAW files from within PSE. :D

I've just updated my PSE14 to Camera Raw 10 to check the process still works. Sorry, can't help if you have a Mac but I expect the relative locations are similar.

I have a PC and that looks very complicated to someone who isn't technically minded :)

DNG converter

Can you send me a link to this please?

I have a PC and that looks very complicated to someone who isn't technically minded :)
Really? Isn't worth trying one download and one file copy to save yourself £80? I can provide the download link for you.

If it's a laptop rather than desktop, you could bring it up to the other end of the A360 and I'll help you through it.

Last edited:
Faststone will read and show the RAW files but the editing is a bit basic IMHO

Or download Nikon nx-d for free and convert through that.

That's what I did for a few years but it's very time consuming opening up different programmes - and Capture NX-D and NX-I are both dreadfully slow.
I recommend getting MetaRaw from the Plugin site,
It cost me £49.95 a couple of months ago and there have been two updates since (all updates are free).

I might upgrade Elements, can I do that through the programme I'm using now?

Think it's about 70 quid to upgrade from any previous version to the latest one

Yup, it's £70.91 from both Adobe and Amazon although it's much easier to find on Amazon.

A couple of places selling the box/CD for around £72. (Elements 18)

Last edited:
Back