Can Photoshop work with only 8GB and a M1 Processor

Name
Neil Williams
Edit My Images
No
Ive decided to buy a new Apple MacBook Air on a tight budget. The computer will be used 95% of the time while traveling to save my Nikon Z9 images to a SSD external hard drive using a CF Express card reader..........thats it
The other 5% might involve doing some quick picture edits in a hotel room using Photoshop 23. My home Mac Studio also has a M1 Max chip but also 32GB of RAM
What do you guys think?

I would wait with the editing until got home and be able to edit copies not the original.

Our of interest why wouldn't you edit in the field? Assuming the laptop is calibrated.

I don't use a MAC but if it's any help my HP laptop with an i5 processor 8gb RAM and a 500g NVME and win 11 runs PS 25.1 OK albeit a bit slower than my desktop with 32gb ram

Yes M1 Mac with 8Gb will run PS just fine.

But, the Mac may run out of ram and start using swap. Now in terms of speed that's not so much of an issue as the storage in these macs is very fast but it will shorten the life of the storage. Personally I'd be looking at a minimum 16Gb

Ive decided to buy a new Apple MacBook Air on a tight budget. The computer will be used 95% of the time while traveling to save my Nikon Z9 images to a SSD external hard drive using a CF Express card reader..........thats it
The other 5% might involve doing some quick picture edits in a hotel room using Photoshop 23. My home Mac Studio also has a M1 Max chip but also 32GB of RAM
What do you guys think?
For a few extra quid I went for the new MBA with M2 chip and 16GB RAM............should be delivered next week

Back