Can someone advise me about viewing photos on a dvd player?

Name
Aura
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi i have burned some photos onto a dvd-R disc using Ashampoo, then I tried to view them on my dad's DVD player. It starts off as loading, then comes up with the screens as shown below. Wen we try to view the photo's a message come up saying data error. This is frustrating because the photo's show, but won't play. I never had this problem while using Google Picassa. can someone explain clearly what i could be doing wrong please?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Sony1.jpg
    Sony1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Sony2.jpg
    Sony2.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 59
This will just be something to do with the way DVDs are formatted with known standards etc, things like DVD players have to adhere to standards such as Red Book for CDs.
The software simply hasn't layed it down correctly for the DVD players simple brain to follow.

Some years ago, Kodak introduced Photo CD players. Mine is/was a PCD865, and operated as a normal cd player too. I paid to have images put on to the appropriate pcd format and it worked brilliantly. When I got my own computer I expected to be able to make the discs myself, - but couldn't find he appropriate software. That was a while back, and someone may have since cracked it. If so, these players are great, and are still around at very low prices.

I recently burned photos onto a disc using my macbook, and the DVD player wouldn't play them.
I then used a programme called Toast to burn them and it worked fine.

Last edited:
I recently burned photos onto a disc using my macbook, and the DVD player wouldn't play them.

yeah it is a bit try it and see with this kind of old school, there used to be a program called FAB platinum as well I think for stuff like this.
to be honest it is really old school, lots of newer stuff like TVs have a USB socket which will just take a stick full of pics

yeah it is a bit try it and see with this kind of old school, there used to be a program called FAB platinum as well I think for stuff like this.
to be honest it is really old school, lots of newer stuff like TVs have a USB socket which will just take a stick full of pics
Well it’s not even clear that the OP has access to a TV where the DVD player is situated, I read it as one of those all in one things. It not clear exactly what the OP is attempting and with what kit — usb stick was my thought too.

@Acorn , PhotoCD was a failed proprietary format that was abandoned 15 years ago. The specifications have never been released.
It's been reverse engineered to allow people to read the old disks, but AFAIK, no one has written a PCD creator, because the compression/colour space of the format is inferior to current jpeg standards.

Tori_T - Thanks, and yes, you've confirmed and added to what I suspected. It would have been more than 15 years ago that I became involved in sourcing and setting one of these up for a static display, and subsequently bought a couple for myself, when the (previously) £300 players dropped to £99. It looked OK on a small TV, but as you say, couldn't match what can be done now with jpegs on a usb stick. It was ideal at the time because TVs didn't have USB sockets, and without a computer setup, it was a very convenient way of displaying pictures. The PCD865 lives on in my house because it was also a fully-featured and good-sounding audio CD player.

I'm trying to play them on a Sony Bravia TV on a Sony DVD player, I have Aspbergers so I'm often misunderstood.

Never heard of toast, except what I eat for breakfast. What's the link please?

Louise, I'm trying to think of the easiest way in which you can show your photos on your Dad's TV. I guess that you have a PC and which might be Windows. Is your Dad's TV reasonably recent, which might mean it has a USB socket. If it has, then instead of putting your pictures on DVD, write them in .jpg format to a USB stick, and plug it into the TV. You might need to investigate how to switch the TV into that mode but it will be easy once you've found it.
If the TV doesn't have a USB socket there are various devices to add one, - but I have had first hand experience of the Sony SMP-N100 and N200, available secondhand for less than £10 on eBay. These have many connection options, but use HDMI if the TV will take it. This method will also give you better control of your picture sequence. I am sure that there are many devices which will perform similarly, but can speak only for the ones I have used. Don't hesitate to ask if you think I can help further, perhaps in a 'conversation' (click on my green A icon to start one). Hope this helps.

Louise, I'm trying to think of the easiest way in which you can show your photos on your Dad's TV. I guess that you have a PC and which might be Windows. Is your Dad's TV reasonably recent, which might mean it has a USB socket. If it has, then instead of putting your pictures on DVD, write them in .jpg format to a USB stick, and plug it into the TV. You might need to investigate how to switch the TV into that mode but it will be easy once you've found it.
If the TV doesn't have a USB socket there are various devices to add one, - but I have had first hand experience of the Sony SMP-N100 and N200, available secondhand for less than £10 on eBay. These have many connection options, but use HDMI if the TV will take it. This method will also give you better control of your picture sequence. I am sure that there are many devices which will perform similarly, but can speak only for the ones I have used. Don't hesitate to ask if you think I can help further, perhaps in a 'conversation' (click on my green A icon to start one). Hope this helps.

This sounds like a good idea, possibly depending on as you say the model number/type

I did find this Sony online manuals page but is may or may not be 100% right for her dad's TV
http://docs.esupport.sony.com/imanual/NA/EN/hx850/usb_uc_la_ar_br.html

In regard to issues of pictures not showing properly when burned to a DVD, I found this request for help on a Sony forum, though unanswered the poster says the same files burned to a CD-R will show fine but not when burned to a DVD-R

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/hom...-dvd-player-to-show-picture-files/td-p/184873

Now, this makes me think as follows:-
All CD-R disks will be seen as data in one form or another
But a DVD even DVD-R is expected to be a video even if used as data disk

Therefore, apart form trying the USB method above maybe try to burn a CD-R and see is that works???

Louise,
Then I suspect that it will have a usb input socket somewhere. If you send me the make and model of the Tv (on the back) then I'll try to find more information and get back to you with the next stage. Are you familiar with using a usb stick, and writing to it from your computer?

Are you familiar with using a usb stick, and writing to it from your computer?

Thanks for your answer. You might have to tell me, I'll find out the model on Sunday, hope that's OK? :)

Louise,
Then I suspect that it will have a usb input socket somewhere. If you send me the make and model of the Tv (on the back) then I'll try to find more information and get back to you with the next stage. Are you familiar with using a usb stick, and writing to it from your computer?

The link in my post #12 re USB socket on Sony Bravia TV's might help?

Box Brownie - Can you tell me where the OP indicated that it was a Sony Bravia TV that they had ? I can't find it, but I do miss things these days !

I'm trying to play them on a Sony Bravia TV on a Sony DVD player, I have Aspbergers so I'm often misunderstood.

Never heard of toast, except what I eat for breakfast. What's the link please?

Louise, I'm happy to help if I can, one step at a time. Sunday, or whenever is fine. Forgive me if I tell you something you know already. Regards.

Thanks, Nod !
Now, can you help me find my white stick ?
I'd like to check the model number, though.
Thanks and regards.

Put the photos on a USB memory stick, it sounds like you are visiting on Sunday? If so, if the TV has a USB slot on the back or side, just put the Memory stick in and see what happens, chances are it will just show the photos.

Louise,
A further thought ........... modern DVD players often have a USB socket, and can be set up to play pictures. My DVD recorder also does this. So, can you take a peek at Dad's DVD player, and perhaps note the model of that too. If the DVD player will play your pics from USB, then that's going to be a lot easier than any other way.
Regards

Thanks for your replie's. I'll look at the model number and also for a usb slot. What size usb stick do i need to stick photo's on please?

Tried both discs even after finalizing (on Ashampoo) on my dads DVD player, still says photo error. i tried another disc which I had ran through google Picasso through Ashampoo and that worked fine. I can't use Piccassa anymore as that doesn't exist, is there a similar programme to picassa I could use before running through Ashampoo. This is really frustrating me as i want to be able to play my photo's on a TV, just just my PC.

My dads DVD player is a DVP-SRZ60H

I suspect that may be a Sony DVP-SR760H [ie 7 not Z].

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/dvd-players/dvp-sr760h
the manual is available to download there and it has a USB socket so no need to burn photos to dvd!
It has hdmi so depending on your other devices (computers/phone/tablets/) there are a variety of other ways to play photos on it I would think.

Last edited:
Louise. - If it's a model 760 player, the usb socket is at the right of the front panel. I really think that this is a better option for you than discs, where you are running into file compatibility issues. If you've got the usb stick that you were talking about, why not copy a few of your pictures on to it in .jpg format, and insert the usb sick into the dvd player. The above links that sphexx came up with are to the manual, but I don't think that they are the clearest instructions I've ever seen. But basically, if you select the usb as the source, it should be pretty intuitive after that. Do let us know how you get on, and don't hesitate to let me help you work through it.

On the front of the DVD player? can you please recommend a USB please?
You just need a USB stick, any will do. You’ll know the size you need by comparing with your SD cards since you’ll know how many files those hold. I usually buy from 7dayshop but supermarkets etc sell them. You could use a usb hard drive no doubt if you’ve got one but that’s overkill.

Hello Louise,
Firstly, just make sure that it's a DVP-SR760H player.
Have a look at the screenshot attached which suggests that the socket is on the front.
There are loads of USB drive brands, and in the end it's more or less a matter of personal choice over shape, colour, whether it has a cap or is retractible, etc. Personally, I always buy the
Kingston Technology DTSE9G2/32GB Data Traveler SE9 G2. I tend not to buy the larger capacities on the basis that if the drive should fail or is lost, I want to limit my losses in terms of what is on it. (Don't put all your eggs in one basket, sort of idea.) So I mostly use the 16GB myself which unless you have a really large collection of photos, will most likely suffice, at least to start with. Other sources and brands are available, but this is a link to the ones that I choose, for their metal case and business-like appearance. It doesn't cost much more to go larger if you'd prefer.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-T...G6VHEHB6K2SS&refRID=B6NQVSZCG6VHEHB6K2SS&th=1
Hope this helps, and I'm happy to help some more if I can.

Attachments

• usb socket.JPG
    usb socket.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 5
Hello Louise, I've never bought a usb stick from 7dayshop, but all other purchases have gone smoothly. Sandisk is a respected brand for usb and camera memory. But seriously, as long as you get one of the known brands from a reputable source, you are very unlikely to get any problems. Your choice is more a matter of whether you like the appearance, as the chips inside will be pretty similar. Don't worry too much about this, - just go with what looks good to you, but do compare prices. Even allowing for postage, mail order can work out cheaper than some local shops including supermarkets. It'll only be £5 - £10, maybe less, so just get one and see how you get on with it. Usb sticks are also pretty handy for keeping a backup of any files which are important to you. Good luck.

Last edited:
Are they very good?
?
well nobody’s perfect but I’ve been using 7dayshop since they started and never had a problem. Mostly batteries but also SD cards, USB sticks and various. Their own brands are good. Postage is included generally so easy to see what you are paying and delivery fairly quick. But like @Acorn says, don’t overthink it!

Are they very good?

As long as you're not in a hurry! Prices are very good (and the SanDisk cards/sticks have all been genuine) but delivery can take... 7 days or so from ordering.

Back