Can these be saved?

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

At my nieces wedding this weekend and took my camera. Its the first time really that i have ventured away from Auto settings and, on the whole, i am quite pleased with the outcome but a couple of them have come out extremely 'blown' (at least thats what i think it is called).

I have Photoshop Elements (Mac version) that i am teaching myself to use and would like to try and save the pictures below. I suppose the first question is, can they be saved? If they can how would i go about it please? I have tried in PSE but have reached the limits of my knowledge and skills.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated and welcomed. I have the RAW files if it helps.

[URL="

Last edited:
Not sure you can bring them back as they're jpeg, I'm sure a more experienced togger will be along soon to give you some advice on them (y)
P>S it looks like your ISO speed was too high also for what looks a bright day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah having the RAW file helps.
You should be able to bring the exposure back a bit and use the recovery slider to rescue some of the detail in the white, they don't look too far gone.

If your not too sure on settings, take a shot in auto and check the info for an idea, that's what i used to do.

It looks like you may be able to get some of the blown whites back but not all.

As said before ... (In raw) Drag the exposure slider back slightly (Making the shot look darker) until you can see a bit more detail. You can use the recovery slider (Underneath the exposure slider) to fine tune it a bit.

Play around with those two sliders until you get as much as you can out of it.

You could alter the curves in elements or create a new layer and change the mode to multiply which will increase the saturation. Just reduce it until you are happy.
As has been said though, the raw file should recover quite a lot but the fully blown whites are virtually impossible to alter.

I find in my version (Mac Photoshop) the Brightness slider is always set high by default, reduce the amount until it looks natural. Use the recovery slider to get more detail back in the whites. Drop the Exposure down slightly.
The great thing with RAW is you can keep trying different settings.

If you bring the exposure down they look fine. I've copied your picture and reduced the exposure and all the details are in the dress again.

Thats the beauty of RAW - all things are possible :D

Back