Can vibration harm DSLRs and VR lenses? (Peli wheely case related)

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks

I've just bought a Peli 1510 camera case - is solid with a pull up handle and wheels - this one http://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/peli_1510_case-p-26_106.html

I used it for the first time yesterday and I'm a bit concerned. Traversing city streets is a bit of a pain, and there are an amazing amount of uneven surfaces that really make the whole case vibrate and jig up and down a lot as you pull. Lots of 'block paving' paths etc, not quite as bad as cobbled streets, but not far off.

Is this going to have an adverse affect on the guts of a D3? Also, what about VR lenses, they must have quite delicate innards?

Inside the case I've got the padded dividers set and it's foam lined, and everything is packed in fairly tight, but I'm still a bit worried. Do I need to be?

From a racecar engineer's point of view, Yes, prolonged or excessive vibration will harm most things, especially electronics. Maybe it's better to carry over the really bumpy stuff if it's not too heavy.

Does it have decent shock-absorbent foam/material packing the inside of the case, tight around the equipment?

The Peli and Think Tanks are the bags of choice for us folk at Getty and we certainly haven't seen any massive failure rates of equipment.

Hi folks

I've just bought a Peli 1510 camera case - is solid with a pull up handle and wheels - this one http://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/peli_1510_case-p-26_106.html

I used it for the first time yesterday and I'm a bit concerned. Traversing city streets is a bit of a pain, and there are an amazing amount of uneven surfaces that really make the whole case vibrate and jig up and down a lot as you pull. Lots of 'block paving' paths etc, not quite as bad as cobbled streets, but not far off.

Is this going to have an adverse affect on the guts of a D3? Also, what about VR lenses, they must have quite delicate innards?

Inside the case I've got the padded dividers set and it's foam lined, and everything is packed in fairly tight, but I'm still a bit worried. Do I need to be?
I have been using one for quite a while now and I too am concerned about long term use, I really think they should have some sort of shock absorbers fitted or even softer rubber tyres?
So far no problems but I have my gear well insured so not too worried.

Thanks for the replies. I know Peli is something of an industry standard as they say, which is mainly why I bought it.

Also, Jammy, as said - Inside the case I've got the padded dividers set and it's foam lined, and everything is packed in fairly tight.

If you look at the second image down on this page http://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/peli_1510_case-p-26_106.html that's what it's like inside, though in the lid I just have extra foam at the moment, but am thinking of getting the organiser attachment shown on that...

Claymore- you're right about the wheels. Why don't they use softer rubber?? I presume it's a longer lasting hard compound they use, as apparently these cases have a lifetime guarantee I think.

So far no problems but I have my gear well insured so not too worried.

So do I, but would camera insurance cover 'damage due to excessive vibration' or whatever, and how could you prove it was the cause? You know what insurance companies are like, they will wriggle out of any possible loop they can. *****.

if it's insured for accidental damage then drop it on the floor from a great height. :LOL:

I think they'd have a hard time proving that transporting your camera kit in a protective case doesn't fall under reasonable use :p

on that site there's a "foam-insert set" for the 1510. that would make a massive difference to the vibration seen by the equipment inside the case compared to the thin standard stuff.

on that site there's a "foam-insert set" for the 1510. that would make a massive difference to the vibration seen by the equipment inside the case compared to the thin standard stuff.

Aye - there's 1 strip of that in the lid at the mo pressing down on top when closed. The guy in Calumet Manchester though (where I bought it, and they are brilliant in there) said the 'dividers set' was much much much better from a getting all your gear in and arranging it point of view. At the time as I hadn't pulled it around on rough surfaces (only on a lovely calumet carpet), vibration issues didn't enter my head.

Aye - there's 1 strip of that in the lid at the mo pressing down on top when closed. The guy in Calumet Manchester though (where I bought it, and they are brilliant in there) said the 'dividers set' was much much much better from a getting all your gear in and arranging it point of view. At the time as I hadn't pulled it around on rough surfaces, vibration issues didn't enter my head.

Yeah, good point.
i'd imagine the dividers definitely better for organising. it looks an awesome case by any means, but maybe an extra layer of foam where you can get it will help.

are you dividers the same as on this page?

Yeah, good point.
i'd imagine the dividers definitely better for organising. it looks an awesome case by any means, but maybe an extra layer of foam where you can get it will help.

are you dividers the same as on this page?

That's them yes. Came as part of the deal too. £170 all in for case with divider set at calumet at the mo, they have a semi offer on them.

I have a Peli 1560 and not had any problems. Some sports pro's do have concerns regarding the vibration issue and prefer something a bit more springy. So far I dont recall anyone telling me of any problems related to this.

That's them yes. Came as part of the deal too. £170 all in for case with divider set at calumet at the mo, they have a semi offer on them.
sounds like a good deal (y)

As a thought, why not try some really thick foam, but just at the end with the wheels? should act like a shock absorber cushion somewhat. I dunno, just an idea :shrug:

As an aside...

Anyone know cheapest source for 1510 providors and/or anyone selling them that accepts paypal ... theres nowt on ebay

As an aside...

Anyone know cheapest source for 1510 providors and/or anyone selling them that accepts paypal ... theres nowt on ebay

Pelicase 1510 £125.77 or best offer !!!
On Ebay 11-28 today !

I have the 1510 peli case... I was asking about dividers but me being me put providors.. sigh:( sorry... same question but looking for peli 1510 dividors by paypal :)

As an aside...

I tried a 1510 before I bought the 1560. 1510 would accept (just) 2 bodies, 300f2.8 and 70-200f2.8. Would struggle to fit much else in and fitting the lid organiser was abit tight. Most of the guys I know who use 1510 carry their 300/400 seperately. My 1560 accepts 3 bodies, 400f2.8, 70-200f2.8 either 16-35 or 28-70f2.8, 1.4 TC and waterproof trousers all in the bottom. In the lid I have memory cards, spare batteries and rain covers. Laptop is in a shoulder bag which doubles up as a rain/sun shade and I carry my monopod to ward of any potential muggers!

When I bought mine I searched the net to find the cheapest (careful as some are the same companies) inc ebay and even phoned Peli direct.Big difference between them. In the end I phoned the cheapest and made them an offer which they accepted. Think I paid about £180 inc lid organiser and del.

Pelicase 1510 £125.77 or best offer !!!
On Ebay 11-28 today !

Forgot to mention have bought a few Pelicases from this place before not neccessarily cheapest but good service and quick delivery.
C

snapzz see above.. i ahve the 1510 and your right its a tight fit. I did get a 16** and was like a massive suitecase. fit all my stuff but too heavy

1510 I am using the insides of camera bags because at the time i couldnt afford the dividers.. now i can :)

Prob could do with next size up peli though.. hmmm

Quite a few replies to this thread now, but I'm still not feeling totally confident with my new Peli 1510 :shrug:

I guess I'll use it and see how it goes. If something weird starts happening with my camera or lenses, I'll have a suspect cause...

Well I just used the link in post #1 to order a 1550 case with inserts and the TSA locks. From my parents :). Just hope it doesn't get damaged in the post !

Back