Can you claim to be a great photographer when using modern high tech gear ?

as if only certain people are able to determine what is art and what is not.
It has been my experience that many people can't 'see' art - they don't get it. Their view seems limited to its decorative qualities. This is from direct observation over an extended period, and has included relatives of mine that I'm fond of. So I'm not being elitist - I'm trying to be as accurate as possible.

I'm a firm believer that certain people have an 'arty' brain and others have a 'scientific brain' with an overlap in the middle
Yes we all have different aptitudes, and the rest is down to education (which needn't be formal, it can be 'self-education' and that's fine). I believe that a balance of emotion and intellect is best (not in a particular occupation, but in life).

And this is why discussion on art almost always fail on here, because the people who want to discuss it aren't allowed to do so without others coming on and dismissing the whole thing as crap. The reverse rarely, if ever happens. It is very unusual for those who would be interested in art discussions telling those who produce decorative work that it is pointless, while the opposite happens virtually every time.

And at this point I'm out of the thread. The exact opposite of this has been happening, where those who are on the inside of the artworld are rating stuff on the outside as having less value, with little significant protest from the 'non-arties'. We've wandered away from the original topic, and I don't want to be involved in another bash the artist/craftsman session.

See, to me it was at this point the thread became a complete 'turn off'. In no way is this a criticism of the post/poster as I can clearly see why to others, who are interested in photography, would find it very interesting but I really just don't 'get it'.

Likewise your posts, again I am not being in anyway critical of them and anyone who spends the time to reply in such a thoughtful way should be applauded for their contributions but I really just can't make sense of what you are trying to say/convey - it is, as you say; 'gobbledegook'.

I'm a firm believer that certain people have an 'arty' brain and others have a 'scientific brain' with an overlap in the middle. I remember I was s*** at English Literature at school and hated it; in my 'O Level' exam I distinctly remember a question 'What thoughts do you think the author was trying to convey in this passage and what do you think he was thinking about in writing it?' My reaction was 'what a f*****g stupid question - I don't know, I wasn't there; he could have been thinking about shagging his wife for all I know!' (.........and wrote those exact words on the exam paper - I got an F in that subject).

I don't know......in my brain 2+2 = 4; it either has to be right or wrong. I hate objective answers that are neither right or wrong but the 'feelings' of a person.

If you don't get something then I guess you just don't get it. I remember wanting to throttle someone who I was trying to explain algebra to. What's so difficult about a + b = c? :D

But then I don't get how some people can enjoy taking photographs yet have no interest in exploring the history of the medium and the uses it can be put to, the thinking behind a photographers approach, the way photographs work as pictures. I find all that sort of stuff fascinating.

If that one was aimed at me. What definitions of art has been discussed here?
It was not aimed at anyone specifically, and most certainly not you :)

the Raymond Moore shots remind me of a Les Dawson piano part
That is very unkind to the poor dead man. Yes he was a kind of minimalist, but had a considerable provenance including doing workshops with Paul Hill - not a seminal figure? And many of his images were made (on film, please note) in West Cumbria where he was living - have you ever been there? It's an out on a limb sort of place mostly, an edge-land. There's Barrow, Sellafield, and Whitehaven for instance, but in the spaces between, not much happens, there's not much to be seen. Yet part of the context is that the Lakes hills are a stone's throw away to the east.

There are some youtube videos on his work via links here - http://the-golden-fleece.co.uk/wp/every-so-often-raymond-moore-on-tv/ and on the same page Justin Jones gets a mention, so the tune circles back on itself, oddly.

Faye Godwin gets a pass, possibly because she shot in a different age and produced work characteristic of that time.
Surely she is (was) of our cultural age, the one that's still current? That's how I think of her, anyway. Another filmie - is that what you meant - pre-digital? I hardly see that as a marker - it doesn't define the image content, only the equipment used.

I wonder what you think of (the work of) John Blakemore, or Tom Wood?

Last edited:
And at this point I'm out of the thread. The exact opposite of this has been happening, where those who are on the inside of the artworld are rating stuff on the outside as having less value, with little significant protest from the 'non-arties'. We've wandered away from the original topic, and I don't want to be involved in another bash the artist/craftsman session.

I think a couple of things happen in discussion about art

1. People over think stuff
2. People assume their opinion is the correct one and spend large amount of time telling other people their wrong

Seriously?

My cameras have been left alone all week, and they haven’t managed to take a crap photo, let alone a great one.

The ‘quality’ of a photograph is dictated by the subject, light and composition. And the best cameras in the world can’t choose any of that.

I’m struggling not to say it’s a stupid question if I’m honest.

Technology makes taking great photos easier (allegedly), but taking great photos still takes planning and work. And I speak as the owner of 5 modern dslr’s, and several other ‘auto’ cameras, and I don’t think I’ve ever taken a ‘great’ photo, is it because I’m completely useless?

Well said

It has been my experience that many people can't 'see' art - they don't get it. Their view seems limited to its decorative qualities. This is from direct observation over an extended period, and has included relatives of mine that I'm fond of. So I'm not being elitist - I'm trying to be as accurate as possible.

Yes we all have different aptitudes, and the rest is down to education (which needn't be formal, it can be 'self-education' and that's fine). I believe that a balance of emotion and intellect is best (not in a particular occupation, but in life).

The question is one of the superficial, how much someone wishes to educate themselves on a particular subject and what they choose to read into it, that is partly governed by peer approval and partly by ones own perception of the world and that is true of any subjectivity.

So for instance some people see a church as a great piece of architecture and in some cases art, whilst others see it as nothing more than a disgusting power symbol that no amount of prettying could ever disguise. Just as some read Animal Farm and never understand its message but think it is a good story!

In some cases education is nothing more than indoctrination, and that can often lead to elitism and closed minds. To dismiss pictures of landscapes as purely decorative is as closed minded as dismissing Dada as cartoonists!

To dismiss pictures of landscapes as purely decorative...
Not all but a great many - the genre is so prone to repetition - photographically, look at all the big bales, milky waterfalls, milky seas, sunsets, piers and jetties ... and tell me what they mean. How do they inform us? Likewise with the interminable samey watercolours.

Things are what they are, and are subject to analysis.

Not all but a great many - the genre is so prone to repetition - photographically, look at all the big bales, milky waterfalls, milky seas, sunsets, piers and jetties ... and tell me what they mean. How do they inform us? Likewise with the interminable samey watercolours.

What they mean is that someone, indeed many people were inspired by a photograph to get off their ass and go find the beauty that is out there, that they then try to create their own version is great. Just count yourself lucky you have the wealth and time to of got bored with those interminable samey watercolours. Remember most of the world will never get the opportunity and wealth to even see a milky waterfall or watercolour, let alone try and visit and recreate their own version. But of course your education and indoctrination is different to mine, I was inspired by boring landscapes to get off my ass and go see the world, learn about the different cultures and meet some pretty fascinating people, all by my fathers boring old slide shows!

I think a couple of things happen in discussion about art

1. People over think stuff
2. People assume their opinion is the correct one and spend large amount of time telling other people their wrong
I don't assume :LOL:

The weird thing about discussions about art is how annoyed some people get that other people want to discuss things they're not interested in. I personally have no interest in photographing star trails or milky waterfalls, and simply ignore the detailed discussions of technique that the enthusiasts get involved with. I'm fascinated however by the interactions between optical image making and painting as they've swung back and forth, partly competitively, between photo-realism and abstraction, impressionism, surrealism, etc.. I suspect one of the reasons why there are so few discussions about that kind of thing here is because lots of people pile into the discussion shouting that it's all rubbish and what kind of person are you to be interested in such nonsense?

Where does all that hostility come from?

What do you mean by "many people can't 'see' art"? That they don't recognise something that you consider art as art, or that they consider something that you don't as art? Or something else?

What they mean is relevant only in your personal definition of art. I prefer to define art as something that elicits an emotional response in the viewer. Even if it's just wanderlust inspiring them to go visit those places and take a photo of their own, that's an emotional response which qualifies it as art, by my definition. .Who's to say which definition is correct?

I agree, there is a lot of repetition in landscape photography, and many other genres too, but as many people in many threads here have mentioned, what is being photographed is light reflecting off those subjects, the hay bails, the jetties and piers, and the light in each situation is unique. l'm bored of milky waterfall's too, but that's just my personal preference, I'd not dismiss those pictures as having no artistic merit when it's clear some thought has gone into making that picture and it will elicit an emotional response in at least one person.

Where does all that hostility come from?
Fear, possibly?
What do you mean by "many people can't 'see' art"?
I mean that they can't access the content (assuming that there is some) - they can only see the surface.

In decorative work, the surface is all there is. But there all sorts of gradations between work that has meaningful content and work that doesn't.

Fear, possibly?

I mean that they can't access the content (assuming that there is some) - they can only see the surface.

In decorative work, the surface is all there is. But there all sorts of gradations between work that has meaningful content and work that doesn't.

In other words, they don't recognise something that you consider art as art?

In decorative work, as you put it, is it not possible that you simply aren't accessing the content, that you're only seeing the surface and that's why you dismiss it in this way and don't see any artistic merit in it? Others may well see something in it that you're just missing, they may have an emotional response to what you consider only decorative that to them qualifies the work as art.

In decorative work, as you put it, is it not possible that you simply aren't accessing the content, that you're only seeing the surface and that's why you dismiss it in this way and don't see any artistic merit in it? Others may well see something in it that you're just missing, they may have an emotional response to what you consider only decorative that to them qualifies the work as art.
I think this touches on the heart of the argument. When you view a painting, say, don't you try to read it's nature? Much of the mechanism by which we do that is intuitive. Intuition isn't the same as whimsy, it can penetrate things and reveal a truth, which might be a purely visual / emotional one. It's not about pleasure, it's about recognition. With experience, you learn to trust your own intuition and this is certainly true of how we fully access art. There's a test, also, which is that others might share your perception of a given work, and this can be touched on verbally as a reinforcement. Note that I said perception, which isn't the same as opinion - opinions are out of this argument, and are pretty pointless.

Does art have to have a specific meaning or can it mean different things to different people ? One of the things I think of is music ( thought to be a form of Art by Many !) tracks such as stairway to Heaven or Hotel California strike a cord in many peoples heads as meaning one thing to them and a different thing to the next person and because of this are probably the best known/most loved tracks by each group. To add to this photographs do not in my mind need to be art although some may be meant that way, after all most photos taken I would guess are just to record a memory maybe of a holiday or special occasion ( a marriage as many make there living out of on here). I am certainly no artist but can appreciated certain types of art, I have many original paintings of places around Britain (Landscapes) I love which in the same way as taking a photo as a memory give me memories of that place. Other types of Art I cannot see as art ,chopping a cow in half or a pile of tyres to me just looks like half a cow or a pile of tires and I see when out and about many piles of tyres we generally call them fly tipping ! This type of art just confuses me !

Theres my two pence worth anyway.

One of my favourite photographers/artists is Beksinkski, in general he scorned those who tried to write about what his art meant, most of his work went untitled and he is quoted as saying that even he
did not no what his work meant! "I wish to paint as if I am photographing my dreams"

I think this touches on the heart of the argument. When you view a painting, say, don't you try to read it's nature? Much of the mechanism by which we do that is intuitive. Intuition isn't the same as whimsy, it can penetrate things and reveal a truth, which might be a purely visual / emotional one. It's not about pleasure, it's about recognition. With experience, you learn to trust your own intuition and this is certainly true of how we fully access art. There's a test, also, which is that others might share your perception of a given work, and this can be touched on verbally as a reinforcement. Note that I said perception, which isn't the same as opinion - opinions are out of this argument, and are pretty pointless.

Yes, I try to read a picture's nature, but I also recognise, or at least look for, some emotional reaction to the piece, how does it make me feel, rather than just what is the meaning of the picture or what truth is it revealing. That emotional reaction, intuitive as it is, and I'd say more intuitive than looking for a meaning or truth, is more of a factor in what will make me consider a piece art. There's a flip side to your test though. Going back to the watercolours in the galleries you dismissed as comfort food. Others obviously don't share your perception - the art gallery owners who exhibit and sell the pieces, the creators of those pieces who then take them to an art gallery to exhibit and sell, the people who enter the art galleries and buy those pieces, etc. I'm not saying that just because something is in a gallery it automatically qualifies as art, but it's an illustration of other's not sharing your perception, that can be touched on verbally as reinforcement. Does the existence of others who share an opposite perception to yours mean that you are wrong to not recognise those paintings as art? Or does it just mean that it's all entirely personal and subjective and if someone perceives something as art, then to them it's art and any dismissal of that then becomes nothing more than opinion, which as you've said, is pointless.

Does art have to have a specific meaning or can it mean different things to different people ? One of the things I think of is music ( thought to be a form of Art by Many !) tracks such as stairway to Heaven or Hotel California strike a cord in many peoples heads as meaning one thing to them and a different thing to the next person and because of this are probably the best known/most loved tracks by each group. To add to this photographs do not in my mind need to be art although some may be meant that way, after all most photos taken I would guess are just to record a memory maybe of a holiday or special occasion ( a marriage as many make there living out of on here). I am certainly no artist but can appreciated certain types of art, I have many original paintings of places around Britain (Landscapes) I love which in the same way as taking a photo as a memory give me memories of that place. Other types of Art I cannot see as art ,chopping a cow in half or a pile of tyres to me just looks like half a cow or a pile of tires and I see when out and about many piles of tyres we generally call them fly tipping ! This type of art just confuses me !

Theres my two pence worth anyway.

I personally don't think it's even possible for a piece of art to have exactly the same meaning to everyone. That meaning, if perceived at all, is a result of each person's own personality and history, their cultural baggage. Yes, they can read the little card with the artists explanation of the meaning if one is provided, but unless they've had an identical life to the artist, what it means will be processed intuitively through their own experiences, much like each listener's unique interpretation and response to Hotel California. There'll be certain lines, or even chords or melodies in the song that resonate, trigger memories and feelings that are unique to them. For me, I'd say that art doesn't even have to have a meaning, an emotional response to a piece is enough to qualify it as art for me. As for works such as Damien Hirst's Mother And Child Divided, the cow and calf cut in half, whether that is art will again depend on the viewer. To you, it's obviously not, and that is fine, but to others it may evoke a range of feelings and to them it is art. I don't think it requires universal consensus for a piece to be considered art as it's entirely a personal thing.

That meaning, if perceived at all, is a result of each person's own personality and history, their cultural baggage.
Yes indeed.
art doesn't even have to have a meaning, an emotional response
Then the visceral response is the meaning .... meaning isn't restricted to the intellectual faculties.
consensus
Consensus helps as a check to your personal take on something, is reinforcing and, actually, social :).

Last edited:
Yes indeed.

Then the visceral response is the meaning .... meaning isn't restricted to the intellectual faculties.

Consensus helps as a check to your personal take on something, is reinforcing and, actually, social.

So a visceral response to a watercolour or photo landscape gives the piece meaning and qualifies it as art then.

And if the consensus is in contrast to your own perception of a photo, does that mean you are wrong about something being art or not, or is it still art to you despite the consensus saying otherwise?

So a visceral response to a watercolour or photo landscape gives the piece meaning and qualifies it as art then.
It can do. But I'd want to discuss the exact nature of the response. If it was mere pleasure, as with a sunset, say, then no.
And if the consensus is in contrast to your own perception of a photo, does that mean you are wrong about something being art or not, or is it still art to you despite the consensus saying otherwise?
If the consensus was contrary to my perception then it wouldn't be a consensus with me, would it? As said, I trust my own perception.

All art is subjective and pointless arguing over.

No one's right & no one's wrong.

Most of life is like that, politics (brexit anyone?), religion, economics, family relationships. There is a difference between debate and argument and for all those subjective issues education and debate is what we have.

All art is subjective and pointless arguing over.
It's well worth discussing, though ... you know, sometimes people can be taught to 'see', although they must bring their own aptitudes to the table. Painting and music are like the stuff of life to me, and I'm a practitioner of neither so don't understand the techniques used. But I can still access them intuitively. And as with all art forms, some work is deeper than other work, in which case I would like to imbibe that work as deeply as it can provide. If it has depth, I don't want to just skate across its surface, I want to go down and in ...

Take classical music if you like - it can be held to be a genre. But some of it is rather lightweight - there's a spectrum of posssibilties.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

The joy of art [in whatever form] is that it has no boundaries. It defies definition. It can be about absolutely anything; it means different things to different people. You may appreciate it or not; you may like it or not; you may see something in it that nobody else sees; you may dismiss it, others might not.

Why on earth do people get so annoyed about art?

I'm a full time artist and make a living as a painter and whilst my work is somewhat abstract and probably not to everyone's taste and whilst I take enormous care to make the paintings, I don't really have a lofty opinion about my work. In fact, I know a lot of artists and other creative people and I would say that is largely the case with them too. Discussions about art always seem to mention terms such as 'Emperor's new clothes', 'Gobbledigook', 'pretentious' etc. but the vast majority of artists are just doing a job. I also find it quite odd how people feel justified in being so vitriolic. It's absolutely fine to dislike a piece of work or even all work by an artist, it's a very subjective thing after all but the scale of negative language used is often unacceptable. If you don't like it, just move on.

As for the Artist's Statement (or arty b******s' if you are so inclined), it is largely a requirement of galleries to include as a profile or to be used as a press release. It is only a passage composed with words. If you don't like the words, it is simple enough to not read them.

It can do. But I'd want to discuss the exact nature of the response. If it was mere pleasure, as with a sunset, say, then no.

If the consensus was contrary to my perception then it wouldn't be a consensus with me, would it? As said, I trust my own perception.

Fair enough, but then the perception that something is or isn't art is then personal to you and you only. And why single out pleasure, it's as valid an emotional response as any other in determining whether something has artistic merit to those who derive pleasure from a painting or photograph..

I think the photo confirms that you are into the technology of photography, but have little interest in the art.

Steve; can I ask why the photo confirms I like the technology of Photography but have little interest in the Art?

I entitled the the Photo 'A refreshing tipple' as i was hoping to convey the fact that I find JD a refreshing drink and the 'shower of water' was hopefully to give the impression of refreshment. I have obviously 'missed this' completely?

Thanks

(Apologies - I realise this is not a critique area but it may help me understand where I am going wrong.)

Anybody; please feel free to comment.

but then the perception that something is or isn't art is then personal to you and you only.
No - I usually can find consensus! Not obviously with everyone, but with other people who are interested in art (or music) and have a depth of engagement with it.
And why single out pleasure, it's as valid an emotional response as any other in determining whether something has artistic merit
Depends how you define pleasure ... you might get pleasure from something that is mere decoration or entertainment and not necessarily art. So pleasure isn't a defining principle.

I was a great photographer before Digital, but now I'm just like everyone else.

What a load of crap! :)

Whenever I see your photos I am gob smacked by the quality!

If I could take pics like that I would be VERY happy.

Why on earth do people get so annoyed about art?

I'm a full time artist and make a living as a painter and whilst my work is somewhat abstract and probably not to everyone's taste and whilst I take enormous care to make the paintings, I don't really have a lofty opinion about my work. In fact, I know a lot of artists and other creative people and I would say that is largely the case with them too. Discussions about art always seem to mention terms such as 'Emperor's new clothes', 'Gobbledigook', 'pretentious' etc. but the vast majority of artists are just doing a job. I also find it quite odd how people feel justified in being so vitriolic. It's absolutely fine to dislike a piece of work or even all work by an artist, it's a very subjective thing after all but the scale of negative language used is often unacceptable. If you don't like it, just move on.

As for the Artist's Statement (or arty b******s' if you are so inclined), it is largely a requirement of galleries to include as a profile or to be used as a press release. It is only a passage composed with words. If you don't like the words, it is simple enough to not read them.
For me its not about the art itself that gets people annoyed but the critique of art and the patronising approach that can be portrayed to those who are accused of not being able to understand art as they've not studied it, or the exponents of the art being discussed.
It seems some have to shout that they understand art and can see it where others cant and gain a level of self-importance doing so and following that comes the psychophant agreeing with them. That I believe is what riles so many as if one disagrees then one is just uneducated and in a lot of cases "wrong". Similar to religion in a lot of ways but perhaps not as harmful on a global scale!

Steve; can I ask why the photo confirms I like the technology of Photography but have little interest in the Art?

I entitled the the Photo 'A refreshing tipple' as i was hoping to convey the fact that I find JD a refreshing drink and the 'shower of water' was hopefully to give the impression of refreshment. I have obviously 'missed this' completely?

Thanks

(Apologies - I realise this is not a critique area but it may help me understand where I am going wrong.)

Anybody; please feel free to comment.

Why do you think you are going wrong? - I think it's an excellent photograph.

You have conveyed exactly what you intended to - and it has excellent quality too.

I entitled the the Photo 'A refreshing tipple'
Well it works - it doesn't need the title to convey the message. It does come over like an advertising shot though, what with the full-frontal label.

I've just looked at your Flickr and what puzzles me is that most of your pics look like snapshots of 'things', then you come up with something like this (am I allowed a link?)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/147585014@N03/42056509490/in/album-72157691443148950/
or this
https://www.flickr.com/photos/147585014@N03/29605972658/in/album-72157691443148950/
Well done!

Last edited:
Regarding the mention of watercolour paintings. Watercolour is by far the most difficult medium to master and it always surprises me that novice painters are drawn to it. For a watercolour painting to be a successful work, quite apart from composition and pallette choice, it needs a combination of economy of brushstroke, exceptional technique and total confidence - it is quite a rarity. You really don't get a second chance with it, which is why galleries up and down the country are filled with mediocre work. The moment a painter resorts to fussing with the paint, the quality and life has gone. I think to an extent, this is the same with photography. There is far more to it than just aperture, shutter and and ISO. A good photographer or artist doesn't need the best equipment or the most expensive materials to make consistently good work. Good gear / materials obviously help but they are definitely not the most important element, the fleshy bit behind it is.

What is great photography - to me it is the image that remains with you long after you looked at the photo.

I saw this photo years ago and yet it remains with me not because of its technical quality, which is at best reasonable, but because of the subject:

https://www.lomography.com/magazine...d-grenade-in-central-park-1962-by-diane-arbus

and this one:

https://huxleyparlour.com/the-afghan-girl/

and this:

http://100photos.time.com/photos/kevin-carter-starving-child-vulture

and many others where the technical quality is irrelevant but the images remain burnt into our memory.

THAT is truly great photography.

What is great photography - to me it is the image that remains with you long after you looked at the photo.

I saw this photo years ago and yet it remains with me not because of its technical quality, which is at best reasonable, but because of the subject:

https://www.lomography.com/magazine...d-grenade-in-central-park-1962-by-diane-arbus

and this one:

https://huxleyparlour.com/the-afghan-girl/

and this:

http://100photos.time.com/photos/kevin-carter-starving-child-vulture

and many others where the technical quality is irrelevant but the images remain burnt into our memory.

THAT is truly great photography.

Here's another one for you.

http://100photos.time.com/photos/eddie-adams-saigon-execution

Back