Can you help me decide please

Name
CAROL
Edit My Images
Yes
Im off on a safari in March (y)

I have a canon 40d with a good selection of good lens. My old 300d has had it! My daughter seems to have adopted my little ixus 950is!

this leaves me with a choice do i get a g10 bridge to replace the ixus or a second back to replace the 300d costs would restrict me to a 50d or another 40d.

Im not sure if I could raise the money for a full frame before march:bang:

any advice would be great my fingers are aching googling just now

thanks
carol

I would suggest another DSLR for a safari for backup, may be a used one like a 20d / 30d. You can then have your 100 -400 on 1 and something wider on the other.

You'll see a huge improvement in fine detail for static bird shots with a 50D, even over the 40D which is excellent, so that would be my vote, unless you want the full frame for other things?

Also if you get another body, if you have a wide angle lens you could switch very quickly to get a spur of the moment close encounter while using the telephoto on your main body. Hope you enjoy really want to do that myself at some point.

Safari - 40D & rent a 100-400L from Stewart

thanks. Im lucky, I have one (y)

I would suggest another DSLR for a safari for backup, may be a used one like a 20d / 30d. You can then have your 100 -400 on 1 and something wider on the other.

thanks, this is what i was thinking and no dust keep changing lens.

You'll see a huge improvement in fine detail for static bird shots with a 50D, even over the 40D which is excellent, so that would be my vote, unless you want the full frame for other things?

Thanks CT. You know what I like taking shots of :LOL: its very tempting, I dont think the full frame set up would be of any benifit with the birding. Im going to email Kerso to see what he can do for me before the pound drops any further.

Also if you get another body, if you have a wide angle lens you could switch very quickly to get a spur of the moment close encounter while using the telephoto on your main body. Hope you enjoy really want to do that myself at some point.

thanks, Its fantastic, we went on one a couple of years back, but I wasnt hooked on photography like I am now. I cant wait

For the cost of a 50D you could get a decent used 5D.Your 28-70 would sit very sweetly on that for the landscape/wide angle shots.I would mount the 100-400 on the 40D.Just a thought----Have a great trip.
Pete.

For the cost of a 50D you could get a decent used 5D.Your 28-70 would sit very sweetly on that for the landscape/wide angle shots.I would mount the 100-400 on the 40D.Just a thought----Have a great trip.
Pete.

thanks Pete, Im still pondering.

Back