Can you ID this Fella/Lass for me please

cosmix3

David Sullivan
Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Took these back in march, didnt get much of a chane to get better shots it wasent hanging around, have no idea what it is and my books not helping me, so was hopping you kind peps could help.

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Could be completely wrong but the nearest I can find is a juvenile blue tit.

Scrap the blue tit then, wood warbler? Although the beak looks too short

Looks more like a Willow Warbler to me but is is a bit green for this early in the season. Did you hear its song? That would identify it.

Songs are:
Willow warbler: musical cascade down scale
Wood warbler: repeated single notes on one pitch accellerating into a dry trill
Chiffchaff: chif chaff

Last edited:
It looks very much like a Willow Warbler, its a nice shot what ever it is:clap:

Its either a Chiffchaff, or Willow Warbler, if you heard it Donnas description is very good. Dark legs would point to a Chiffchaff, but can be variable. Another id feature is wing legnth, shorter in Chiffchaff than Willow Warbler. (Called primary projection). If you have any other photos you may be able to check these features. Good luck.

Thanks all, didnt here the song, wasent around for log enough, was a case of I spotted it, got these 2 shots and it was gone and not seen again. had a look in my book with the sugested and still cant make my own mind up, do agree though looks like a Chiffchaff or willow warbler.

Looks more like a Willow Warbler to me but is is a bit green for this early in the season. Did you hear its song? That would identify it.

Songs are:
Willow warbler: musical cascade down scale
Wood warbler: repeated single notes on one pitch accellerating into a dry trill
Chiffchaff: chif chaff
:thinking::thinking:

I think it could be more likely a Chiffchaff, as I 'think' the Willow Warblers would have a more yellowy appearance around that time (last month right?).

dfrear ~ I'm intrigued to know how you came up with juvenile Blue tit :shrug:

I think it could be more likely a Chiffchaff, as I 'think' the Willow Warblers would have a more yellowy appearance around that time (last month right?).

dfrear ~ I'm intrigued to know how you came up with juvenile Blue tit :shrug:

Thanks, was taken around 18th March.

Or try this recording on the RSPB site ~ CHIFFCHAFF

I didn't believe it when I read the description of a Chiffchaffs call, but it really does sound like it reads! Once you know what to listen for you hear them everywhere this time of year.

Frankly this specimen could be either CC or WW... :shrug: ... there are not enough clues from those two images to make even a reasonable stab either way... :cautious: ... and without hearing the song this one will have to go into the either/or folder imhgo... :D

:p

Back