Can you recommend a camera for me please

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I have a budget of up to £300 and am looking for a compact or a bridge camera.

My last camera a few years ago was a Nikon D7500 but sadly due to the weight, and remembering all the settings was getting more difficult for me with various medical disabilities.

Subjects I photograph are:
Birds In my garden
My Lego builds
Trains (sometimes at speed)

I would like a camera where I could continue with my hobbies.

I've looked online but there are so many I easily get overwhelmed with it all.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

I think you will find your budget very limiting if looking for new. you also have to posibly include memory cards and spare battery. Same as you I consider weight now an issue so I went for a four thirds camera ,but with a larger budget to spend. Maybe doing a P/X with a camera company would increase your spending limit, I am doing a P/X with Wex at this very minute on a lens for a camera
T
there is one other option you many not have considered within your price range and that is a camcorder that also taken photographs, your options open up a bit. I wont say which ones as that is a personal choice
Just an idea you may not have thought of

Last edited:
Sounds like a bridge type camera with a large zoom range might be suitable. Maybe something like:

Have not owned one of these but i should give the flexiblility to photograph birds, small stuff and have a nice easy to use set of controls.

A Panasonic FZ-82 may well suit you, large zoom range, cheap non-oem batteries, standard SD cards,

Nearly all cameras have PASM modes, which can make it as easy or creative as you like.

I would go for a Panasonic fz1000, try to find the mk2 version around that price if you can but l feel they might be slightly over your budget.

If your coming from a D7500 I suspect you might find a fixed lens camera a bit restrictive. In which case can I suggest you consider micro four thirds?
Used systems can be within your budget & still allow you to change lenses depending on subject. This option should be significantly smaller/lighter than your Nikon.

I have only played with bridge/compact cameras for fairly brief periods, but have always found they don't let ME get involved enough. The bridge cameras are often capable enough, but they don't like letting the photographer use settings they don't think are right.

A Panasonic FZ-82 may well suit you, large zoom range, cheap non-oem batteries, standard SD cards,
I'll second that recommendation.

It gives you super wide (20mm full frame equivalent)...

Tree and flooded Meadow Clyst St Mary FZ82 P1010419.jpeg

... to super long (1300mm equivalent)...

Busker Sidmouth FZ82 P1000715.JPG

They can be found for £200 second hand - excellent value in my opinion.

Last edited:
I have just put up for sale my nikon camera + lens and battery grip if interested (see for sale section)

I have just put up for sale my nikon camera + lens and battery grip if interested (see for sale section)

The op will probably not be able to view the for sale areas due to only just joining and only posting twice.

Thank you so much everyone for your recommendations, I will have a browse over the weekend, sorry for the late reply but have been in hospital.

Back