Can you see what's wrong with this country?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
'er indoors was late for work this morning due to an 'incident' that caused traffic chaos.

Theft suspect in roof-top siege

Police are at the scene of a roof-top siege which has closed part of Gloucester city centre.
Trained negotiators are attempting to bring the man down from the top of a house in Midland Road.

He is believed to have been involved in a police pursuit of a suspected stolen car in the early hours. Two other men have already been arrested.

Midland Road remains closed while officers deal with the incident. Nearby Trier Way has reopened.

Trained negotiators!!! Excuse me. What's wrong with Trained Marksmen? :bang:

It will all be different when I'm pressie.

Oooh lemme join!!!!

I could run this country on just two policies.

Involuntary Sterilisation. Prove that you're fit to bring kids up and teach them manners and respect for their fellow man

and

a Stupidity Tax (I can just see the TV advert now...)
...."Fallen over in Tescos Car Park?....Are you entitled to compensation? NO!!! You're NOT!!!....Please send £40 fine for not looking where you were going"

It really is crap innit, especially when you consider the trained negotiator will be a senior officer, probably with a degree in basket weaving, so he's got there via an accelerated promotion scheme and doesn't really know his arse from his elbow anyway :cautious:

CT said:
It really is crap innit, especially when you consider the trained negotiator will be a senior officer, probably with a degree in basket weaving, so he's got there via an accelerated promotion scheme and doesn't really know his arse from his elbow anyway :cautious:

LOL i would just go to sainsbury and buy about 100 cans of beans or something equally heavy and give them to the neighbours to hurl at him ! lol

Oh you lot! Always looking at it from the victims side! Never thinking about the poor criminal that gets branded as a criminal, think of the stress that causes them. Probably due some compo for that.

;)

Marcel said:
Oooh lemme join!!!!

I could run this country on just two policies.

Involuntary Sterilisation. Prove that you're fit to bring kids up and teach them manners and respect for their fellow man

and

...."Fallen over in Tescos Car Park?....Are you entitled to compensation? NO!!! You're NOT!!!....Please send £40 fine for not looking where you were going"

It's scarey just how much sense that makes. (y)

Marcel said:
I'm all in favour of compensation where someone has genuinely been disadvantaged or deprived in some way.

It's things like prisoners being entitled to compo for slopping out or little Johnny didn't do well in his exams because he was a disruptive little **** and deserves to be compensated for it that really annoy me.

Oh, and with any luck that guy will end up in Inverness on the 26th :D

got to agree with 2blue, this country is being over-run by handwringing liberals!

2blue4u said:
Trained negotiators!!! Excuse me. What's wrong with Trained Marksmen? :bang:

Errr...you do realise that when we said "Shoot a stranger" there WAS a clarification bit about using a camera, don't you?!!! :eek:

Yes, I have no idea what this country is coming to. The law seems to be on the side of the criminals these days. Bring back the death sentence I say - if someone is proven without a shadow of a doubt to have comitted a serious crime (I'm talking paedophiles, murderers etc), then why should the taxpayers fund their holiday, erm, I mean prison sentence?
Ooh, I could go on for hours on this subject ;)

Could change the title and start a new thread ... :thinking:

Can you see what's RIGHT with this country ? :razz:

Hrrmmphh ... can't even win the sodding World Cup ... !?! :naughty: :help:

I still feel there is a need for (is it corporal or capital) punishment again. If some 'Thug' has gone and done whatever ie the people caught on CCTV stabbing someone else, as well as banging them up, give 50 lashes in the middle of their city centre to show that if you break the law you will get ***ked. Or if they've stolen something chop their chuffing hands off, that'll stop the *%$££rds doing it again!!!!

All of which is fine once we have a 100% reliable faultless justice system. One which has no openness to corruption etc. Until then, I would feel that the risk of hanging someone who was later shown by new evidence to be innocent, is too great.

Thank Do Gooders and PC idiots for this countries demise....

I'm only here cos my dear ol dad is still alive - if I was on my own, I'd sell up and leave this land for good...

Carl.

The country is indeed screwed. Compensation culture is unfortunately not a product of those who claim, but the idiots who allowed the law to be changed and the theiving, money grabbing, ambulance chasing solicitors to get in there.

Really, if somebody offered you 5k for falling over in the street, would you not take it? Or if you were in a serious car accident and your insurance company said 'we've got your compensation here, it's 10k' you'd give it to charity or something?

And as for corporal punishment.........

Smacking somebody around the head for smacking somebody arond the head is just a trifle hypocritical, n'est pas?

I think that 'life imprisonment' should mean exactly that, your freedom removed for the rest of your life. Far more punishment than the quick escape of death.

We also need to look at why these people behave in this way in the first place. **** education and the massive divide of quality of life between the rich and poor are what cause crime. It's all very well sitting in your nice plush 2up 2 downs with good jobs, good education, nice family, plenty of cash etc.

Maybe you should try being a single mum on a inner-city council estate for a while!

Bloody bunch of Facsists, if you lot ever get into power I'm moving to sweden or switzerland or holland or somewhere!

Gandhi said:
Really, if somebody offered you 5k for falling over in the street, would you not take it?
i hold my head high knowing that i was in a crash a year ago, nothing too serious but i got some good quality whiplash. thought nothing of it really, just wanted my car fixed but the insurace company offered me a solicitor with an expected outcome of around 3 grand to sue the chap who hit me. i didnt like the sound of this and dont like the compensation cluture one bit, so i declined. i think they thought i was mad.

it does seem to go around tho, luck that is. this guy crashed into me because his kid was fiddling with his gear stick and he turned to stop him and hit me while he wasnt looking. as a child i did the same to my mother and she ended up in a ditch!

Religion and politics.
Never fails to bring out strong emotions!

All that was required was to bring in the police helicopter to blast him with Barry Manilow records.

2 minutes of 'Bermuda Triangle' and he would have been down.

It's been used elsewhere to stop bikers congregating in a popular layby.

Gandhi said:
We also need to look at why these people behave in this way in the first place. **** education and the massive divide of quality of life between the rich and poor are what cause crime. It's all very well sitting in your nice plush 2up 2 downs with good jobs, good education, nice family, plenty of cash etc.
Perlease leave it out, you'll have me crying all over me keyboard. I come from as humble a beginning as you get- eldest of 4 brothers in a mining family, father crippled in the pits when I was about ten. I left school at 15 and went down the mines as the family desperately needed my income, despite being offered a full time place at art college which I simply couldn't afford to take. Money was a complete stranger to me for years.

I never got involved in crime or needed to nick someone else's motor and end up in a roof top siege - neither did my three brothers. No bugger ever gave me anything I didn't work for, and I didn't expect them to.

What causes crime is gene pool rejects rearing gene pool rejects with no sense of morality, right or wrong, cos thay have none to pass on in the first place, that, and the mentality that thinks the good things in life are a right - not something to be earned... or nicked.

:agree: and just to add to CT's comments, I was brought up on a council estate by a single mother with 3 of us to look after. We scraped by on benefits and hand-me-downs. I went to school, got an education, went to uni, got a job and made a good life for myself.

I also suffered severe whiplash (and still have problems now) following a car accident where someone ran up the back of me. I didn't go down the compensation route as I don't believe in the system.

CT has it spot on..It's nothing to do with wealth....

admittedly where you find lack of wealth and prosperity, you'll also find lack of morality and decency...Sure they go hand in hand most of the time, but one does not cause the other.

I too add my name to the poor child list, yet I would never ever consider robbing an old lady or acting with wanton disregard of other peoples thoughts and feelings. I may be a bit of a keyboard warrior, but Im one of the most compassionate and thoughtful people you'll ever come across....Why? Because my mother taught me how to be a decent human being, and how to think of others.

She didn't pay for such tuition, she did it herself. That was her job as a parent. Everything she taught me, cost nothing. So money doesn't come into it.

CT has hit the nail on the head, it's because now we're seeing a generation of those who couldn't give two shiney ****s about anyone else but themselves, dragging up second third and even fourth generations, and passing on this thug mentality. Who's to blame? Well that's a different argument altogether, but it certainly is definately down to parents and their lack of moral upbringing...money or not.

Now I would suggest everyone move their cars, cos I'm gonna have the wheels off :D

Just to take it one step further...I had a ***p childhood and still bear the mental scars.
Mental cruelty from my father and a mother that seemed to back him up in everything he did.

He died 4 years ago and we made our peace near the end and he admitted his mistakes.
I fell out with my mother big time a couple of years back and spilled it all out to her in a letter.
We've now made our peace but she still refuses to see the truth.

The point is I made my own standards.
I've always treated people with respect instead of being bitter and going off the rails. I always put my own needs last and have never nicked so much as a slice of bread and never been in a fight in my life.

I've tried to instill my values into my kids instead of them having to fend for themselves and tried to change the mindset of 'what is the punishment if I get caught?' to 'how will my actions affect other people and would I like it if someone did it to me?'

I have two very difficult teenage stepsons here who regularly bring the Police to the door and I find their thought patterns very disturbing.
I've discussed it at length with Police Officers and they are all in agreement that it is down to values instilled by parents.

The 'values' instilled by and example set by their father left my wife with an impossible job in the 3 years she raised them alone and the damage seems irrepairable.

Difficult role you've taken on there then Bachs. :( All you can do is try to set an example and hope some of it rubs off.

Witch said:
All of which is fine once we have a 100% reliable faultless justice system. One which has no openness to corruption etc. Until then, I would feel that the risk of hanging someone who was later shown by new evidence to be innocent, is too great.

Quite.

Stop moaning you lot. This country is bloody brilliant compared to some I've had to visit recently.
You want to see corruption on an epic scale? Go to Africa (Botswana being one exception to the rule that all our former colonies have gone t1ts up).
Want to see political correctness gone mad? Go to Canada.

Just what are you all comparing our country to? Some mytholigised notion that things were 'better in the Good Old Days'? It never existed.

So we get to work a little late sometimes.. so what? No-one tried to car-jack me at the traffic lights (South Africa); no-one tried to stop and search my car without any justification (Israel) and no-one tried to shoot me for no reason whatsoever (anywhere the US Military are operating).

I love my country and am quite pleased at the way it's turning out, thanks very much.

what is this? a monty python sketch?

it's irrelevant holding yourselves up as single examples of bad come good.

You need numbers to make sweeping statements. And the numbers point to a fact, throughout the world, that crime and poverty go hand in hand. Just because you got out of it doesn't nullify the basic premise.

Eh? What's world poverty got to do with people thinking this country's gone to the dogs?

I agree with the last couple of sentiments.
It's not the country at fault, it's some of it's citizens.

We can't blame everything on the government of the day.
We all have a responsibility to behave responsibly and to instill those values in our offspring.

I'm not as well travelled as Mandy but living here is a doddle compared to some countries.

Arkady said:
Eh? What's world poverty got to do with people thinking this country's gone to the dogs?

err. i'd re-read the thread if you're lost. I never mentioned "world poverty", I mentioned "poverty throughout the world". There is a difference ;)

My comment wasn't even directed at you, hence I didn't quote you. It was a general statement with regards the direction of this thread... Others said wealth had nothing to do with crime and showed themselves as example. I simply stated that individual cases are statisticly irrelevant.

orangepeel said:
err. i'd re-read the thread if you're lost. I never mentioned "world poverty", I mentioned "poverty throughout the world". There is a difference ;)

My comment wasn't even directed at you, hence I didn't quote you. It was a general statement with regards the direction of this thread... Others said wealth had nothing to do with crime and showed themselves as example. I simply stated that individual cases are statisticly irrelevant.

Picky, Picky. And just because you didn't direct it at me, that doesn't mean I can't respond, does it?

Poverty and crime are not directly linked. Poor people still know the difference between right and wrong. It's simply facile to suggest otherwise.
Statistics can be massaged to portray anything you want. The source of the statistics must also be questioned. Without resorting to independant verification, most people here only have recourse to use themselves or friends and aquaintances as examples - so to do so is as relevant as anything else.

lol @ mini...funneh

just a reminder ladies and gents, no point falling out over the interweb, its not real for a start...

random pic to make you smile(unless your a scouser)

calm.jpg

Arkady said:
Poverty and crime are not directly linked. Poor people still know the difference between right and wrong. It's simply facile to suggest otherwise.
I never mentioned right and wrong... we're talking about crime here... I'm sure most criminals know what they are doing is wrong, they probably just don't care.

Arkady said:
Statistics can be massaged to portray anything you want. The source of the statistics must also be questioned.
true, however what I said, I thought was pretty common knowledge. In fact a quick google seems to confirm it too.

Arkady said:
Without resorting to independant verification, most people here only have recourse to use themselves or friends and aquaintances as examples - so to do so is as relevant as anything else.
but that's competely daft. surely shirly. Basing a whole ideology on "what your mates are like" is as much a logical fallacy as: -
"All fish swim, therefor everything that swims is a fish."

However I will acknowledge that "poverty" was completely the wrong word to use as I was lazy choosing it. I should have used "inequality".

While I absolutely agree that the criminal mentality doesn't respect wealth indexes (Enron for example), can you explain to me why the local council estate is a mess with graffiti, burnt out cars and bars over shops that a prison would be proud of, yet the middle class suburb 1 mile away displays little of these aspects?

Not all people who perceive wage inequality resort to crime. Some become entrepreneurs, others get involved in political action, and still others direct the feelings of anger and frustration toward themselves. The type of crime traditionally associated with economic inequality is property crime, but this may be simply an "opportunity" explanation (since when poor people live side by side with rich people, there's more opportunity). In recent years, however, the "deep anger" explanation has become more popular, and many criminologists now associate economic inequality with violent crime. Perhaps the most common association is with "conventional" or street crime. For example, when unemployment goes up 1%, there's a 4% increase in homicides, a 6% increase in robberies, a 2% increase in burglaries, and measurable effects on rape and other crimes.

taken from http://faculty.ncwc.edu/toconnor/301/301lect07.htm

I'm sure we could google up plenty other examples espousing both sides of the argument...

ANYway, back to the original post, Was that the guy who got a KFC fags and some drink sent up to him whilst he was up there?
Id have put some pickleaxe in the kfc and seen how many seconds it was before he really had to run down and go to the loo:)

Pickleaxe...is that like a really sharp onion? :D

Marcel said:
Pickleaxe...is that like a really sharp onion? :D

Ahahaha, nah nurses you it if you have a blockage, takes a minute or 2 and then you really have to go and "download" or "drop the kids off at the pool":LOL:

Gary Bagshawe said:
ANYway, back to the original post, Was that the guy who got a KFC fags and some drink sent up to him whilst he was up there?
Id have put some pickleaxe in the kfc and seen how many seconds it was before he really had to run down and go to the loo:)
yep. That's him. Apparently he's done this before - more than once.

A Police Spokesperson, commenting upon the supply of a KFC sick bucket, said something along the lines of 'we remain responsible for his welfare whilst he's up there..' :shake:

NO YOU ARE NOT :bang: He put himself up there. If he picked a rooftop devoid of a well stocked fridge then that's his ******* problem. :bang:

Back