Can you spec me a computer?

Well said Neil... Vista is okay now it used to be pants but it is much better now... For improved stability go with the 64-Bit version. CS4 loves it! Except for early plugins :(

DELL's support is okay too - better than HP - Dell have a large slice of the IT pie now... why because they have pulled their socks up and improved their service all around... and no I do not work for them BUT I use and recommend them for work and home use!

better than HP

oh good god yes. even their business support sucks. we went to the bristol HP tech center place before spending about £70k on SAN kit and all the sales guys were saying "yeah the kit is fantastic, great prices.. shame the support sucks".

and theyre right. ive ended up banging my work phone repeatedly on my desk trying to get "steve" to stop reading his script and to listen to me.. lol

and theyre right. ive ended up banging my work phone repeatedly on my desk trying to get "steve" to stop reading his script and to listen to me.. lol[/QUOTE]

Oh yes Happy days lol! I remember them well :)

KIPAX, whatever you do totally avoId the quad core and the new i7's as you will never use them to their potential.

Depends on what you are doing ... many of the newer photo editing programs and pano stitchers can make good use of quad cores, and dramatically speed up the processing.

If all you do is surf the web and download a few pictures almost anything would do.

Personally I would get at least the fasted Core 2 Duo.
The more RAM you have the faster PS will run, so again the most memory you can afford. This obviously depends on your mobo capabilities.

As big as a hard drive as you think you will need (10,000 rpm) and then add another of the same size for back ups (External or NAS)

I ahve no set budget.. hence the long explanation of what I need.. Whatever the spec that i require to run photoshop and the like as good as possible..then thats the budget i need.. if theers a choice then cheapest :)

I built a system a little while back, this was the thread I posted at the time, parts listed:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=124424

Since then I have added another HD which is a back up drive for the Raid 5 which it is using, a 1.5 TB WD drive. Another item I have added, a 4 GB SanDisk USB stick for ready boost, it has not made a huge difference to the speed of the computer as the Windows Experience index is at the max of 5.9 across the board, but what it has done is all but stopped any hard faults in the memory / page file access, this can slow the system down a little as the info has to be pulled from a HD instead of the RAM.

Now the important part, Photoshop is almost instant in opening, it takes about 1-2 seconds from point of clicking the icon to open Photoshop which is ready to use.
Bridge brings up thumbnails in the viewer (light table) in next to no time and when working on photos there is no waiting for any filters to be applied, I used to always find when working on, "for instance", a mono image and I wanted to dodge and burn a photo I would always have an egg timer when working on large photo, not any more, to say I am ecstatic would be an understatement!
As for the OS, well I have to say with the release of the SP2 for vista it is as good as XP IMHO. very stable and fast!
The other benefit of this home built PC, I can now sit next to the "box" and there is only the lightest of hums as it is so quite compared to the old pc which sounded like a jet running up, while the new one sounds like a hover fly!

Personally I would get at least the fasted Core 2 Duo.
The more RAM you have the faster PS will run, so again the most memory you can afford.

Many companies charge way too much for RAM. I prefer to check out how much it would cost to get an upgrade from Crucial, then get the minimum RAM in the machine and upgrade it myself.

Many companies charge way too much for RAM. I prefer to check out how much it would cost to get an upgrade from Crucial, then get the minimum RAM in the machine and upgrade it myself.

Definitely, considering 4GB of decent DDR2 RAM can be had for £35-£40, the prices some pre build places charge for moving from 2GB to 4GB is obscene.

Definitely, considering 4GB of decent DDR2 RAM can be had for £35-£40, the prices some pre build places charge for moving from 2GB to 4GB is obscene.

Wow! I wish I'd checked on Crucial's price for DDR3 stuff first -

2GB = £30
4GB = £47
8GB = £627

WTF!!!!!!! Looks like I'll be waiting a while before I upgrade to 8GB!

Back