Can you take pictures of people and put in social media

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Someone has taken a pic of a girl, probably under 16 but not really identifiable (to anyone other than close family) after they let they dog poo in the vial age and leave it there. He is getting grief for that and people saying legally he can’t do that. Pretty sure he can as not on private property. Who is right?

If the photo was taken on public property and the girl was decent then yes you can. She does not have a right to privacy in a public space. Obviously the mumsnet brigade out in force on farcebook

Legally she shouldn't let her dog s*** in the street without picking it up, but she did.

Last edited:
If the photo was taken on public property and the girl was decent then yes you can. She does not have a right to privacy in a public space. Obviously the mumsnet brigade out in force on farcebook

Legally she shouldn't let her dog s*** in the street without picking it up, but she did.

This exactly ^^^

Pretty sure Crimewatch make their programme out of shots of people doing things they shouldn't out & about - someone will have read on some 'NEWS' that photographing anyone anywhere ever is illegal, including selfies without prior written permission, and shared it to all the other morons out there - so of course its TRUE - grrrr

Dave

Thanks, was sure that was the case but just wanted to get confirmation of that.

As long as the photo depicts the facts of the matter and in a public space there should be no issue.
If however, it paints a false picture of events (like suggesting she left the dog poo, but did in fact pick it up moments later), then the law would not be on your side.

Could she be unaware of the 'accident'? etc.
What if she says she did pick it up, and he is accused of portraying a fictional and damaging set of events? Can he back up the claim?

It shouldn't be this way, but that's one aspect to be conscious of. Sadly it's not just a case of being in the right any more :-(

The Defamation Act 2013 completely changed the rules and sets the bar much higher for plaintiffs. The key point is in the act's introductory text which states...
(1)A statement is not defamatory unless its publication has caused or is likely to cause serious harm to the reputation of the claimant.
The 2013 law also does away with jury trials so you don't get to put on crocodile tears and say how your life is now a misery because your friends on Farcebook saw the picture of you kicking a kitten.

As stated by ecoleman and others the ruling law has not changed despite several misguided attempts by the hard of thinking: "In public your face is public".

Last edited:
Interesting topic as I was watching a travel video on YT of a trip round a Norwegian cruise port and it's surroundings posted by a German chap and noticed that a good few of the faces of bystanders (not children) had been blurred out but not all of them and was wondering why he had done that.

Interesting topic as I was watching a travel video on YT of a trip round a Norwegian cruise port and it's surroundings posted by a German chap and noticed that a good few of the faces of bystanders (not children) had been blurred out but not all of them and was wondering why he had done that.

The law may be different on Norway, I don’t know. Maybe the YouTuber was just being courteous and asked the bystanders permission.

The law may be different on Norway, I don’t know. Maybe the YouTuber was just being courteous and asked the bystanders permission.

Probably the latter as son lives in Norway and is not aware of any legal restraints in that respect.

Long answer = see all the above
Short answer = yes

Next? :)

Long answer = see all the above
Short answer = yes

Next? :)
Alternative question...

Did he do the ‘right thing’?

Whilst he was legally right to do what he did, I personally think it makes him a bit of a t***. But we’re all different. :)

I think people that own dogs and let them poo in public places, then don't pick the poo up are t***s.

So do I.

I also think that busybodies who post photos of teenagers online are t***s too. No one comes out of this looking good.

Alternative question...

Haa a question that wasn't asked and an answer as well :) You know it wasn't the OP that posted the pic and the person who did post the pic isn't readinf this thread ? :)

Haa a question that wasn't asked and an answer as well :) You know it wasn't the OP that posted the pic and the person who did post the pic isn't readinf this thread ? :)
Yes I’m well aware.

I just thought that in the clamour to give the legally correct answer we’d papered over the fact that this grown up bloke is bullying a teenager.

Certainly it would have been better to report her to the local council so she could have been fined (£50-80, I think)

Yes I’m well aware.

I just thought that in the clamour to give the legally correct answer we’d papered over the fact that this grown up bloke is bullying a teenager.

Perhaps the best course of action would have been to politely point it out to her at the time.

It's what I do, but then again, just because you're polite about it doesn't mean you don't get abused in return :) That said, there's quite a gap between 'turning a blind eye' and 'bullying'. Some action is warranted - just keep it appropriate and proportionate.

Personally, I think a permanent and lasting post on the internet is OTT if it's the first course of action. Speak to her, and see what happens.

Paranoia. They do that here on TV too. Also, car number plates. I often wonder why they blur out something which can clearly be seen in public.

Certainly it would have been better to report her to the local council so she could have been fined (£50-80, I think)

You would need to know her name and address to do that.

Steve.

Perhaps the best course of action would have been to politely point it out to her at the time.

It's what I do, but then again, just because you're polite about it doesn't mean you don't get abused in return :) That said, there's quite a gap between 'turning a blind eye' and 'bullying'. Some action is warranted - just keep it appropriate and proportionate.

Personally, I think a permanent and lasting post on the internet is OTT if it's the first course of action. Speak to her, and see what happens.

A couple of people said that on the post, but then had he done that I can see reports of "older man bullies teenage girl".

Alternative question...

Did he do the ‘right thing’?

Whilst he was legally right to do what he did, I personally think it makes him a bit of a t***. But we’re all different. :)

Somebody is allowing their dog to defecate along the road at the end of our close on a regular basis, dogs like to do it in the same place, probably instinct as it was safe before so it's safe now.

I have 2 dogs and regularly pick it up as people will assume it's our dogs

However walking back from the pub at midnight I saw a woman about 40 with a yellow labrador , said hello, got to *the spot* about 100m away and there it was still steaming so it's definitely her but she'd disappeared by then and I was too worse for wear to chase after her.

I do however plan to park my car with the dashcam pointing at the spot , if it's clear enough to identify her I'll be posting it everywhere I can , it's disgusting , all the council do is put a few stickers on lamp posts about £1000 fines, start making headline news with actually issuing £1000 fines and it'll stop.

A couple of people said that on the post, but then had he done that I can see reports of "older man bullies teenage girl".

I'm pretty sure when I was a teenager, I did stupid stuff. I also probably got called out for it.

In the intervening 30+ years I've learnt some lessons, and now act differently.

Looking back I'd hate to think that someone took it upon themselves to document and publish my misdemeanours for the world to see in perpetuity, so I'd hope others would take the time to politely admonish my kids if they saw them doing the same, without the need to make it a matter of public record - at least for a one-off offence! I would not consider it bullying - but that's a whole other debate!

Which is exactly what he’s done anyway. And with thousands of witnesses.

Which is exactly what he’s done anyway. And with thousands of witnesses.

Personally I don’t see it as bullying, she was probably only identifiable to someone close due to the quality of picture, and it’s not like he was threatening. His comment was something like would the parents of this girl please do something about leaving dog poo and to clear it up.

I think the word bullies I used is wrong but could a man in his 50s going face to face with a young girl not be seen as even more intimidating? In this day and age it could open up so much more in terms of a accusations and while things should be pretty safe in a village such as ours you do hear of instances where people have confronted wrong doers and got injured or killed doing it.

In fact most of the grief he got was about this very subject, should he been taking a picture and more than one person telling him it was illegal!!!!

I guess what he did is open to interpretation, there has been an issue with people leaving dog mess on pavements and grass areas and maybe this will be the only way people will change behaviour. As father to a girl who a few times has had dog poo on her while playing out, you can guess where i stand!

I'm pretty sure when I was a teenager, I did stupid stuff. I also probably got called out for it.

In the intervening 30+ years I've learnt some lessons, and now act differently.

Looking back I'd hate to think that someone took it upon themselves to document and publish my misdemeanours for the world to see in perpetuity, so I'd hope others would take the time to politely admonish my kids if they saw them doing the same, without the need to make it a matter of public record - at least for a one-off offence! I would not consider it bullying - but that's a whole other debate!

I think there is a big difference between when we were teenagers and teenagers of today. I the old days we had respect for somebody older than us or the law, now you'll just get told to f*** off and be accused of harassment, bullying, racism, sexism or peadophilia.

Last edited:
Personally I don’t see it as bullying

Personally I don’t care whether you do. An older person posting images of a child online to ‘make an example of them’ Is cyber bullying in the eyes of most people.

I think there is a big difference between when we were teenagers and teenagers of today. I the old days we had respect for somebody older than us or the law, now you'll just get told to f*** off and be accused of harassment, bullying, racism, sexism or peadophilia.
I’m really glad I don’t live in the same world as you.

In my world the vast majority of teenagers are as well behaved as me and my peers were, they work harder at school and are polite and courteous.

I don’t see it that way personally. The vast majority of teenagers I know are no more or less behaved than I remember from my own peer group - that’s why I advocated talking to her.

They do have the added pressure of being ‘on 24/7’ which must be difficult - the lack of privacy in which to make and learn from mistakes is hard.

For sure there are some bad apples today, just as there were bad apples back then, they are just more visible because of the above.

Back