Can you use a TV monitor to edit photos and videos with desktop plugged in?

Edit My Images
Yes
If I plugged desktop into TV would it work for photo and video editing or is it a bad idea because the colours would not be accurate?

The best thing to do is edit a photo on the tv, transfer it to another device like an ipad and see for yourself how accurate it is..

If I plugged desktop into TV would it work for photo and video editing or is it a bad idea because the colours would not be accurate?

Well I do on my 40 inch Samsung HD set.

Of course if you are planning to print pics which require a greater degree of accuracy or are going professional then you would need a professional monitor at a commensurate price.

And a 40in PC monitor rocks!:banana:

Last edited:
You can but I wouldn't recommend it.

As Peter said you'll want an IPS monitor and you'all want to calibrate it.

Doesn't it really depend on what the eventual output is going to be?

If the OP is using it for his own personal use to edit on the TV & view on the TV then why not? I still view some pretty crappy low-def family videos from 30 years ago on my 5K iMac screen, but they're just for me to reminisce.

But, why not get a dell UHD screen for £150-ish - maybe less second hand!

You can, but personally I wouldn't want to, if it isn't the accuracy, it would be the refresh rate, the size, how far away you are from it, general input/outputs. There is a reason there are monitors ;)

Over the last 3 years all the photos I have posted on here have been edited on my 40 inch Samsung TV and I haven't had anyone say that they were wrong in their rendering or badly out in any way so I'll just go on using it.

But, having said that I am not a professional and do not need to meet the more exacting standards needed if printing.

yeah its a great idea to be honest makes for a nice big screen :)

Over the last 3 years all the photos I have posted on here have been edited on my 40 inch Samsung TV and I haven't had anyone say that they were wrong in their rendering or badly out in any way so I'll just go on using it.

But, having said that I am not a professional and do not need to meet the more exacting standards needed if printing.
I could not sit at desk distance from a 40" screen and view the whole screen in one go. Heck it took some training when I got my 30" monitor. To me that would be the biggest objection against it, that and that each individual pixel is so much bigger as well. Therefore in order to use comfortably you have to sit further away. If needs must then sure it can be done, to me it is just such a compromise.

I could not sit at desk distance from a 40" screen and view the whole screen in one go. Heck it took some training when I got my 30" monitor. To me that would be the biggest objection against it, that and that each individual pixel is so much bigger as well. Therefore in order to use comfortably you have to sit further away. If needs must then sure it can be done, to me it is just such a compromise.

All of my work, whether surfing or editing is done in VMs which can be re-sized as needed, and I don't look at all the screen in one go.

But once set up I find it works perfectly for me, and since I am slightly short sighted it makes it even better:)

All of my work, whether surfing or editing is done in VMs which can be re-sized as needed, and I don't look at all the screen in one go.

But once set up I find it works perfectly for me, and since I am slightly short sighted it makes it even better:)
40" screen TV. Full HD? That would be some massive pixels but limited to 1920x1080. To me that would be so be way to big. How far away are you sitting? Short sighted wouldn't matter it is the field of view. I mean ultimate it doesn't matter as long as it works for you. But I couldn't work comfortably like that. Just like undoubtedly your couldn't work on my 4K 24" monitor I guess.
IMG_0245.JPG

40" screen TV. Full HD? That would be some massive pixels but limited to 1920x1080. To me that would be so be way to big. How far away are you sitting? Short sighted wouldn't matter it is the field of view. I mean ultimate it doesn't matter as long as it works for you. But I couldn't work comfortably like that. Just like undoubtedly your couldn't work on my 4K 24" monitor I guess.
View attachment 91263

I could easily work on your monitor - as long as I can keep the fairy lights and the snowmen :LOL:

In fact the pixels are barely noticeable even as close as 12-18 ins.

Back