Canada day 2 - Hoodoos,Castle Mountain and Moraine Lake, Banf NP

RobertP

TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Hoodoos sound good but are just rock formations left when the surroundings eroded. In this picture they are on the left lower third.
They are in the Bow river valley and getting any nearer looked a bit steep.

hd01.jpg

and this is the view to the right. It was spitting rain at the time and i couldn't do much about the bright sky.
hd02.jpg

The weather is changeable around mountains and walking back the sun was coming out on this mountain which was to the right of the shot above.
hd03.jpg

The dominant feature of the area is Castle mountain. Took quite a while to drive past. Capturing the scale of it is impossible.
cm01.jpg

Having settled into our accommodation at Lake Louise we went to Moraine lake late in the day. thought about staying for sunset but we were tired and getting hungry!
ml01.jpg

ml03.jpg

Coming away from it I could see some colour coming into the clouds so took a couple looking back from the road.
ml02.jpg

ml04.jpg

so that is day 2 finished...only 14 more to go.

*must

restrain

urge

to

convert

to

mono!

Another lovely set of images Robert, I think you've dealt with the high contrast vewry well!

Fantastic scenery, very well captured. (y) No 6 is my personal fav. Enjoy the rest of the holiday, looking forward to seeing more.:)

What an amazing place (y)

Really like No.6 too, beautiful photograph (y)

Nice images Rob, I have been to Banff 4 times, but have never seen any of the lakes un-frozen. I have just come back from Switzerland and will post some of my shots when I get time. Ian:)

PS. My favourite Lake name is Minniwanka

Nice shots - great to see Banff again, just spent part of my honeymoon there. We did the "hoodoo trial" & encountered a rather aggresive Elk in the forest, SCARY experience !!

Never made it to Moraine, we visited Lake Louise instead although I believe Moraine is even more spectacular ?

simon

We did the "hoodoo trial" & encountered a rather aggresive Elk

Guess it would be with an aggressive Elk ;)

Hoodoos don't look much from the top of the valley so we didn't do the trail... and it was spitting of rain.

Not a lot to choose between the Lakes. Moraine has less tourists... but still quite a lot. The drive to it is nice as well as the lake itself. Seems a long way with the slow speed limit. We stayed near Lake Louise in cabin type accommodation. Woke up one morning to see Elk just outside the window.

Bryce Cayon, can't beat a bit of 'Hoodoo Hugging' :)

CNV00029.jpg

On a serious point, great pictures, I've just got back from the East coast of Canada, and now I've got to add this part of Canada to my wish list, what a superb place. I've got to agree capturing the scale of it is almost impossible, sometimes pictures just don't do it justice.

Back