Canary Wharf

Edit My Images
No
CanaryWharfnightTPF.jpg

Canary Wharf tonight.

Two images merged to eliminate some blowout at the top of the buildings.

Fantastic image m8, and well worthy of going on the wall.

:)

If i was to offer a critisism, the verticals are converging on the edges, a quick play in PS will sort it.

:)

it is a lovely shot, really well done m8

Here is another from the same shoot. slightly earlier. Clouds were moving at a fair rate of knots. Hence the motion blur of the clouds. Really adds to the atmostphere of the picture....

CanaryWharfSkycopyTPF.jpg

Very worthy of hanging on the wall and a superb picture :D

Both photos are excellent and testament to your dedication to going out in the cold and working to get a result. I am sure that you are pleased with the results and think that the effort was worthwhile.

I noticed that you said you have combined two different exposures to create the perfectly exposed final first picture. I don’t know exactly which method you chose as in two completely different shutter actuations or the same image processed differently twice and then combined. The second method is best done if you shoot raw, as the files can be processed with a +/- 2 stop range without loosing detail if the original picture was correctly exposed. This very useful technique is often overlooked but it lends its self very well to this style of photography.

After looking at both shots (which I like very much) the foreground lighting on the first is better than that on the second, but the sky on the second is better than that on the first. I wonder if the position of the camera was the same for both shots and so each shot may have exactly the same framing? If this is the case, you have an opportunity to combine the best areas from both to make a different, but possibly better, third photo. The effort may return a worthwhile and interesting result.

The pictures were taken at slightly different locations. There was a downpour between the shots and i had to run for cover. I had considered that option. Plus i dont think the lighting would have worked. It would have looked too faked.

When taking the shots I could see that the lit tops of the HBSC and Barclays buiding were blowing out in the long exposure needed for the shot. So I took one at the right exposure and another at a much faster exposure, as normal. But there were only small areas that need changing. So when i got back home, stuck the lighter image over the darker one and used the eraser tool to rub out the blown out area exposing the correctly exposed building tops underneath. Flattened and done ready for all the other tweaks needed.

P.s Updated my gallery with other shots from the day. Included corrected versions of the above.

Back