Candid walk through the bluebells

drodd

Also loves to mass debate
Name
Dawn
Edit My Images
No
Hiya

Some photos from last weekend at Spring Woods. I tried to take some candid shots whilst hiding behind the bluebells :LOL:

5670422807_bd8eb5f4c5_b.jpg

[/url] IMG_5352 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

5670990772_9ef6f456ec_b.jpg

[/url] IMG_5351 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

5670422031_4866f51b1d_b.jpg

[/url] IMG_5344 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

5670989836_24c9847a6f_b.jpg

[/url] IMG_5304 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

5670421341_f53319c50c_b.jpg

[/url] IMG_5330 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

5670989180_38cc605d54_b.jpg

[/url] IMG_5362 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Any c&c would be greatly appreciated, as taking photos of people is something I would like to learn more about and improve on.

Cheers

Dawn :)

For me it's #5 that stands out as it's sharp & clear, but more importantly, tells a story. A couple walking through the woods. Perhaps lost?

I'm not getting a clear picture of what you are trying to achieve with these shots, and most of them are quite obscured by undergrowth.

If you want to be good at candid photography, it's moving from that "snap 'em when you can" moment, to watching and waiting for the right moment to come along. It's really hard to describe, but worth just thinking about what it is you're trying to do with your photography.

Not everyone likes him, but Joel Meyerowitz has a great little video on Street Photography on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRTf_-ezAes

I would also recommend Street Photography Now as a great book for some inspiration.

You have the Chutzpah to get out there and take the shots, they just need a sense of purpose.

Hope that helps and doesn't offend!

Ian.

these seem very voyeuristic, slightly unnerving images.

it's unusual to catch an emotion in this way, very impresed.

For me it's #5 that stands out as it's sharp & clear, but more importantly, tells a story. A couple walking through the woods. Perhaps lost?

I'm not getting a clear picture of what you are trying to achieve with these shots, and most of them are quite obscured by undergrowth.

If you want to be good at candid photography, it's moving from that "snap 'em when you can" moment, to watching and waiting for the right moment to come along. It's really hard to describe, but worth just thinking about what it is you're trying to do with your photography.

Not everyone likes him, but Joel Meyerowitz has a great little video on Street Photography on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRTf_-ezAes

I would also recommend Street Photography Now as a great book for some inspiration.

You have the Chutzpah to get out there and take the shots, they just need a sense of purpose.

Hope that helps and doesn't offend!

Ian.

Hiya Ian,

Thanks for the feedback, and I have to say #5 was my favourite as the people looked so engrossed in the book.

I am not at all offended by your feedback, it is constructive and a great help.

What I was trying to achieve with these photos was to capture people walking through the woods enjoying the time out and beauty around them, almost a sense of relaxation. Obviously I haven't achieved that here.

I still don't have the full confidence to just take photos of people without them knowing, and have only tried a few times. I think with more practice will build my confidence.

Thanks for the link to the video, I'll have a look at that later and will also see if I can find the recommended book.

I know what you mean about the 'snap shot' to just sitting and waiting .... which is what I actually did with these photos, but like you say I have to wait for that moment that has meaning.

Hmmm lots for me to think about .... and put into practice.

Cheers

these seem very voyeuristic, slightly unnerving images.

it's unusual to catch an emotion in this way, very impresed.

Hiya Andrew,

Thanks for the feedback and the compliment about catching the emotion.

To be honest, I didn't know the definition of voyeuristic and had to google the word. :LOL: not sure how that exactly applies to these photos ... but I suppose I get the idea of what you were implying.

Cheers

Hiya Andrew,

Thanks for the feedback and the compliment about catching the emotion.

To be honest, I didn't know the definition of voyeuristic and had to google the word. :LOL: not sure how that exactly applies to these photos ... but I suppose I get the idea of what you were implying.

Cheers

your welcome, it sort of reminds me of some older style horror movies where the creature is stalking its prey, ready to pounce at any time.

regardless of your intent I find it fascinating how photos can create a story.

And I'm just jealous!

If a bloke (i.e. me) was caught taking shot #1, I think I'd be in serious trouble. Such is the nature of candid photography today sadly.

Ian.

also known as stalking,, hehehe - not sure how I would have reacted, had I caught you photographing me and my family !!!!

Very funny Ian .... NOT! I could turn the tables and say that I had set up this shot but the people walked into the frame. Anyway if you look carefully you will notice that I have not posted any photos that would easily recognise people because they are all either side profiles or have dark glasses on.

Please ..... explain how this could be 'stalking' ..... I was having a great day out, taking in the beauty of the surroundings and wanted to capture folk enjoying the same. Your comment has just thrown the whole experience out of context and to be honest has brought down the whole experience of 'candid photography'

Believe me .... I am fully aware of the risks and connotations of taking photos in public .... I have a 6 year old child .... hence why I was considerate whilst taking these photos.

Get a life!

Or should that be .... get out with your camera and try see if you can do something better!

Sorry if that sounds forward, but really you have taken the 'P' here.

I posted these photos as a learning experience .... not as a debate about what is right or wrong regards photography (that is a whole different debate) which I don't want this thread to turn into, and I hope people will appreciate this.

Cheers

Dawn

jesus,, calm down,, did you not see the 'hehehe' comment,, it was meant as a joke,, lighten up for gods sake.. and by the way,, had i caught you photographing me with my kids, i would not have been impressed,,, but I would have understood once you explained.

grow up for gods sake...

And I'm just jealous!

If a bloke (i.e. me) was caught taking shot #1, I think I'd be in serious trouble. Such is the nature of candid photography today sadly.

Ian.

Hiya Ian

I can't believe this ....
's
Why should it make a difference whether one is male or female ... but that is beside the point.

Why is it so wrong to take 'candid' photos?

As I have stated above .... if someone gets in the way of the pic ..... who's fault is that???? ;)

Not that the latter is open for debate .... rather just to make people think.

Cheers

P.S. I feel like I have 2 Ian's to contend with ....one in the red corner and one in the blue lol

Last edited:
jesus,, calm down,, did you not see the 'hehehe' comment,, it was meant as a joke,, lighten up for gods sake.. and by the way,, had i caught you photographing me with my kids, i would not have been impressed,,, but I would have understood once you explained.

grow up for gods sake...

Well please be a bit more diplomatic with your comments, thank you.

'hehehe' doesn't fit the bill.

Last edited:
nothing to think about if you ask me,, I would say that in a situation such as this, its just not appropriate. I accept that candid photos are sometimes very good,, but from a position of concealment in a wood, to take pictures of adults and children is just morally wrong, whilst I accept that was never your intent. If, as you say above, they just walked into shot, you have a duty to dispose of that shot.

This is only my opinion, that's all.. I do not want to get into a debate over it, and will not post again in this thread.

nothing to think about if you ask me,, I would say that in a situation such as this, its just not appropriate. I accept that candid photos are sometimes very good,, but from a position of concealment in a wood, to take pictures of adults and children is just morally wrong, whilst I accept that was never your intent. If, as you say above, they just walked into shot, you have a duty to dispose of that shot.

This is only my opinion, that's all.. I do not want to get into a debate over it, and will not post again in this thread.

Thank you, goodbye!

I was going to comment on the pics, but after the previous rants I think I shall withhold my comments.

Hiya Lee,

That is a pity, but can appreciate your thoughts .... after all this is not how I intended this to turn out and now wish I had not posted this thread.

So much for learning about 'candid' photography .... I think I will give this subject a miss!!!!

Cheers

Dawn

Last edited:
Please ..... explain how this could be 'stalking' ..... I was having a great day out, taking in the beauty of the surroundings and wanted to capture folk enjoying the same. Your comment has just thrown the whole experience out of context and to be honest has brought down the whole experience of 'candid photography'

I was nearly the first to post on this thread, and decided not too. However, under the circumstances..

It could be considered stalking because it gave the impression you were sitting in a bush snapping away at people.

It's the same as street photography, however, it is purely the setting that makes it feel a little seedy.

The difference between 'candid' and the feeling these give you is that in normal candid photos you get the feeling that the tog could be seen at any point because you are also out in the open not hidden away :)

Last edited:
gosh this discussion seems to have taken a wrong turn.

I can however see both sides, I have a young family and would have asked what you where upto had you been taking pics of them. After that I'd be more interested in you sending me copies.

It is however a sad indictment of our society that such things are so quickly thought.

Personally I think it's society that needs to lighten up before are kids are so cosseted that they grow up not knowing how to function in the real world.

Can't we all just assume positive intent in the first instance...

back to the pics, I like them...for what they are and the story they tell... :p

thats all I was trying to say, it was never meant as an attack on you.. I look forward to seeing more of your images. Just because this did not work, dont give it up. I wish you the very best

I was nearly the first to post on this thread, and decided not too. However, under the circumstances..

It could be considered stalking because it gave the impression you were sitting in a bush snapping away at people.

It's the same as street photography, however, it is purely the setting that makes it feel a little seedy.

The difference between 'candid' and the feeling these give you is that in normal candid photos you get the feeling that the tog could be seen at any point because you are also out in the open not hidden away :)

gosh this discussion seems to have taken a wrong turn.

I can however see both sides, I have a young family and would have asked what you where upto had you been taking pics of them. After that I'd be more interested in you sending me copies.

It is however a sad indictment of our society that such things are so quickly thought.

Personally I think it's society that needs to lighten up before are kids are so cosseted that they grow up not knowing how to function in the real world.

Can't we all just assume positive intent in the first instance...

back to the pics, I like them...for what they are and the story they tell... :p

OMG I can't believe the discussion that has ensued from such an innocent take and post.

I had never even considered these facts when I was taking the photos, I was merely sitting amongst the bluebells taking photos of people walking by and enjoying and appreciating the beauty of them.

How these photos has conjured up other emotions is beyond me .... and actually breaks my heart to think that people have such opinions as have been expressed.

I thank you both for your feedback and thoughts on same,

Perhaps, even as a female tog (not that that is under debate here, although has been mentioned in previous posts, i.e., male togs feeling they would have been ousted for same) who is to question?

Like I have said .... who can help it if one walks into the frame .... my question then is .... why should I 'bin' a photo because it has people in it?????

If the photo has meaning and expression .... in my eyes that is a keeper!

Cheers

thats all I was trying to say, it was never meant as an attack on you.. I look forward to seeing more of your images. Just because this did not work, dont give it up. I wish you the very best

Thank you Ian, that is very kind and appreciate your words.

I look forward to seeing your comments on my future posts.

Believe me, I haven't given up on 'candid's :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Have the photos been taken down, or is it just me and my iPad that can't see them?! Or if so, why?

Have the photos been taken down, or is it just me and my iPad that can't see them?! Or if so, why?

Hiya Babs,

Nope all the photos are still there, it must be your iPad playing up!

Cheers

Hiya Lee,

That is a pity, but can appreciate your thoughts .... after all this is not how I intended this to turn out and now wish I had not posted this thread.

So much for learning about 'candid' photography .... I think I will give this subject a miss!!!!

Cheers

Dawn

OK, but 1st I'd like to ask what were you trying to capture/communicate with the shots?

drodd said:
Hiya Babs,

Nope all the photos are still there, it must be your iPad playing up!

Cheers

Ah. Ok. Have opened it in the safari browser instead of the app and could see the shots :)

I don't like number 1. But purely for the composition rather than the subject if that makes sense. I don't think that either the man, nor the two children, are connected with the bluebells in any way. I like the others though.

I also don't think there's much I'd a difference between these shots and street candids FWIW and I don't think the gender of the photographer makes any difference either! Just my 2p worth.

Gosh!

I am sorry if I offended you. To be honest it wasn't meant that I was seriously jealous. However I can see that it could be construed as a serious dig, so I do apologise.

Ian.

Hi..i'm new to this debate/discussion and having read through i can see it from both sides...

yet i scratch my chin..these aren't back yard photos...they aren't skinny dipping in a swimming pool somewhere well off the beaten track.. they are in a public place..

we walk down the street and the government take out photos from miles above the earth with lens that are far superior to our own... voyeurism can be bad... BUT it can be innocent.. and these shots are daring to take *** at ease... street photography as mentioned but in woods.. PUBLIC woods...

our kids take 'innocent' pics of them and their friends..stick them on facebook for the world to see as they don't lock their accounts down etc... website forums etc... why has anybody blown this subject out of proportion...

i could understand if Dawn said she was in camo gear, in the undergrowth with a long lens and concealed..we'd all shun and jump up and down...

now.. as some1 said..lets relax on this subject..and enjoy photography like the good old days... (y) to you dawn...

ps..i do like number 6 for the compsure of the people in the centre, the trees framing and the bluebells in the foreground... and totally oblivious to the fact that the women are naked and carrying bags advertising TK Maxx...

OK, but 1st I'd like to ask what were you trying to capture/communicate with the shots?

OMG I'm in a tizz with this thread now .... all I was trying to capture was folk walking around, like I was, enjoying the beauty of the bluebells ..... which don't stay around for too long .... hence why there is a lot of bluebell colour in the foreground.

Ah. Ok. Have opened it in the safari browser instead of the app and could see the shots :)

I don't like number 1. But purely for the composition rather than the subject if that makes sense. I don't think that either the man, nor the two children, are connected with the bluebells in any way. I like the others though.

I also don't think there's much I'd a difference between these shots and street candids FWIW and I don't think the gender of the photographer makes any difference either! Just my 2p worth.

Thanks Babs for making the effort to see the photos, much appreciated.

What I liked about 1 and why I took the shot was that the kids were in camouflage yet stood out like a sore thumb ..... so much for camouflage..... they were spotted by the tog :D The dad was just ambling behind the young duo which I also thought was quite appropriate ..... how often do we have to humble ourselves to the demands of our youngsters :LOL: (believe me I know all about that after having to climb monkey bars today to show my child how to maneuverer them :help:)

As for the latter comment, I certainly hope there wouldn't be a gender differentiation, that would be bias and something I am totally against!

Cheers

Gosh!

I am sorry if I offended you. To be honest it wasn't meant that I was seriously jealous. However I can see that it could be construed as a serious dig, so I do apologise.

Ian.

Hiya Ian

No probs, fortunately I have a thick skin :D

D :)

Hi..i'm new to this debate/discussion and having read through i can see it from both sides...

yet i scratch my chin..these aren't back yard photos...they aren't skinny dipping in a swimming pool somewhere well off the beaten track.. they are in a public place..

we walk down the street and the government take out photos from miles above the earth with lens that are far superior to our own... voyeurism can be bad... BUT it can be innocent.. and these shots are daring to take *** at ease... street photography as mentioned but in woods.. PUBLIC woods...

our kids take 'innocent' pics of them and their friends..stick them on facebook for the world to see as they don't lock their accounts down etc... website forums etc... why has anybody blown this subject out of proportion...

i could understand if Dawn said she was in camo gear, in the undergrowth with a long lens and concealed..we'd all shun and jump up and down...

now.. as some1 said..lets relax on this subject..and enjoy photography like the good old days... (y) to you dawn...

ps..i do like number 6 for the compsure of the people in the centre, the trees framing and the bluebells in the foreground... and totally oblivious to the fact that the women are naked and carrying bags advertising TK Maxx...

OMG Kev, you really know how to put a subject into perspective, and I thank you for that .... you are a true gent,

As for TK???? I do all my shopping at thee local charity shops :LOL:

Cheers

OMG I can't believe the discussion that has ensued from such an innocent take and post.

I had never even considered these facts when I was taking the photos, I was merely sitting amongst the bluebells taking photos of people walking by and enjoying and appreciating the beauty of them.

How these photos has conjured up other emotions is beyond me .... and actually breaks my heart to think that people have such opinions as have been expressed.

Ermmm, it breaks your heart because people have simply pointed something out?

A) Don't take it personally, what we pointed out was just something we noticed regarding the style of the shots. The only reason you could get upset would actually be if you were stalking them, which you have said you weren't. So why not instead, just laugh at it and move on. There is no allegations being made, just a casual comment and a funny one :)

B) Photos can create different ideas and thoughts for different people, if we all thought the same and saw everything the same way photography, and the world overall would be a dull place! :LOL:

Like I have said .... who can help it if one walks into the frame .... my question then is .... why should I 'bin' a photo because it has people in it?????

If the photo has meaning and expression .... in my eyes that is a keeper!

Haven't seen anyone say anything about binning any photos, and surely, as these photos have created a very interesting topic of conversation that they are worthy of keeping :)

Ermmm, it breaks your heart because people have simply pointed something out?

A) Don't take it personally, what we pointed out was just something we noticed regarding the style of the shots. The only reason you could get upset would actually be if you were stalking them, which you have said you weren't. So why not instead, just laugh at it and move on. There is no allegations being made, just a casual comment and a funny one :)

B) Photos can create different ideas and thoughts for different people, if we all thought the same and saw everything the same way photography, and the world overall would be a dull place! :LOL:

Haven't seen anyo'ne say anything about binning any photos, and surely, as these photos have created a very interesting topic of conversation that they are worthy of keeping :)

Thanks for your in depth critique .... gives me and I am sure, others, something to think about.

Perhaps from now on folk will be more 'cautious' about 'candid' photography!

Not that that was the intention of this thread, and I wish I could have learned more about the actual photography style without all the 'politics' associated with same.

I think I am going to stay away from this in future ....

Cheers

Dawn

Today I was all set to take more 'candid' shots ....

but having read many of the posts I decided to down tools for the day and didn't take any photos. (spirits too low!)

But ..... that will not stop me from taking photos in the future.

I just need to find the right moment (which in my eyes seems too staged) ... but if that is what the viewer wants ..... so be it!a

This has been quite a learning experience ..... and not one I will repeat too soon.

Maybe it is a subject where I need to trust my instinct and enjoy what I do ;)

Cheers

Dawn

Hey Dawn,
don't worry too much about what the viewer wants. Remember all the feedback given here and in other forums is opinion, not fact.
To keep it fun you need to shoot for yourself. Of course having feedback is great and it's good of people to take the time, but it's best to pick up on bits you'd like to try, not make yourself do things that "aren't you".

I would like to add one last thought for the day as it were... things were said about the first image especially..the kids..a photographer secreted in the woods..raised eyebrows..

and my reason for not moving on quite just yet...

I sat at an outdoor festival held at a small venue and took shots of the bands that came on.. i was raised above the crowd so i got a clear view of the stage...and with a long lens and bright day..i could chill wwith the family and still get some decent shots... BUT..and my point.. between acts i would scan round and snapa few happy people enjoying the afternoon... candid shots.. but as i scanned round.. i noticed one chap taking offense to me.. he was clearly irrate..his wife was stopping him getting up and ith the aid of my camera i could almost lip read certain words.. he had by this time dragged his daughter out of sight...

From that moment on i put my camera away..i felt guilty for doing nothing yet i put it away... and i loathed that man for it... to the point an act came on that we'd been waiting for and my wife asked me to switch lenses so we coukd get some close up, her with the male singer especially... and that meant going near Mr angry.. but by then i'd reasoned..he had the problem..and if he was so adamant that i was an issue, he could mention.. he didn't he fumed away to the side...why i ask myself.. i hadn't taken one of his child.. but they too were helpless photos.. i wasn't dragging kids off into side streets..

this was a black day for my photography... but one i did recover from... but not really so much street photography as i'd like...

nothing more to say... except people should have a lot more to worry about than a photographer in plain view...

happy days.. its sunny still..and no decent idea for my 52 yet.. :(

Hiya

Thanks cyclone for reminding me that to keep it fun I have to shoot for myself, that is what it is all about and I will continue to do so ;)

Thanks Kev for sharing your story with us. (y)

Thanks too everyone for all the feedback and I apologise if I seemed a bit tetchy last night in my replies.

Cheers

OMG I'm in a tizz with this thread now .... all I was trying to capture was folk walking around, like I was, enjoying the beauty of the bluebells ..... which don't stay around for too long .... hence why there is a lot of bluebell colour in the foreground.

As I said I like the shots, interesting, unusual and provocative.

Don't ever be put off by others, it's your intent that matters not how others read that intent.

and whatever you do don't stop trying new things like this, otherwise the narrower minds in our society win (I don't mean those here, simply the wider community that imposes a mindset)

Back