Cannon 500 & 550 D

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
Yes
Just looking for some info guys. My girlfriend is looking to get her first DLSR, and the two in the title are the considerations. Just wondering what the main differences between the two are, if any (in relation to specifications).

Thanks,
Dean.

Not enough to warrant the extra £££ in my opinion, especially at £499 for a 500D and kit lens from Jessops at the moment..

500D is a fantastic piece of kit and easy to use, I have loved mine.

If it is for the first DSLR it's ideal :D

Agree with the comments above, my 500D is fantastic and is everything I need with a couple of kit lenses. It would be worth shopping around for a deal to what extras you can get thrown in.

I've got a 500D, its great BUT...I wish I'd gone down the second hand route for a better body.

Totally agree. I'd check the classifieds here, you might be able to pickup a 40D or 50D for the same amount of cash with a better lens.

If you really want to buy new, I'd go for the 500d and get a better lens which makes all the difference.

Well I'm probably not the best person to advise you, as i have no experience of the 500D, but my Grandad has a 550D and I've been very impressed with the image quality, particularly in terms of low noise levels at higher ISO. Not sure how the 500D compares on that score though.

500D is a great piece of Kit, the difference in price to the 550D is the big soul searching question.
However 500D should be coming up for Sale now as people trade up to the EOS 7D or the EOS 60D.
Again as already stated in this thread and decent kit lens is needed. So just buy the body of either the 500D or the 550D
I thing the 40D, 50D bodies are just a little bit too big for most most women. As I do see alot of women with XXXD size DSLR's

The ISO range figures are wrong on that chart for the 500D, it has the same range as the 550D ie 100-6400 + H (12800), 1600 is very usable, 3200 usable at a push, the other two only if you like really grainy images.

IQ is apparently better on the 550D as is noise control.

That done I would rather have the better noise control at high ISO of the 500D than a 40D.

The 500D is a no brainer at the moment, just so many good prices and deals.
I ditched the idea of the kit lens and went for the 50mm 1.8, if shes mainly going to shoot people etc then I would recommend doing the same then add something like a fast 28-70mm later

Just to give you an idea of how good the 550D is, I sold my 50D after using the 550D for a few months. The 550D doesn't feel as nice as the 50D to use but the results are what matters the most and they are a big improvement IMO.

Back