Beginner Cannon EOS 4000d Zoom

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, I'm new here. I live in Denmark and have been using my Cannon EOS 4000d for a year or so, I would like a simple zoom lens to take close ups at distance, any suggestions would be gladly received.

TinaDK welcome to Talkphotography

I presume your camera came with the kit lens of18-55mm lens which is a good lens for general photography but it only has an f3-5-5.6 stop . this can dictate lens cost. so an f2.8 lens is better but will cost a bit more right acoss all lens makes.

There are two things to consider, one being how much you want to spend and second what distance are you thinking about? On my nikon I use mainly 24-70mm for general photos- 70-200mm for middle distance and for longer distance an 80-400mm lens; Others will say anything up to 600mm but then you could run into camera shake issues and lens weight, unless on a tripod. For zoom closeup a macro 1;1 ratio lens I would have thought got you far enough away for what you want it depends on what you want to photograph.
You don't say which lens you have already. Also different lens manufactures make lenses for Canon cameras as well as others.

One thing you could do if you have a decent camera store near you is to go in and try their demonstration lenses on your camera and see which suite your requirement the best

Last edited:
hi @TinaDk and welcome to TP.

As you’ll see your question uses a term that’ll confuse photographers.

We tend to use the term ‘close up’ when wanting to shoot very small things, for which we’d use a macro lens.

And the term ‘at distance’ to shoot things that are a long way away when we want to fill the frame.

For closeup, a macro lens of about 100mm is the sweet spot for VFM (a Tamron sp90mm being particularly good).

For distances, usually wildlife, aircraft etc the picture is less clear, a great starter lens would be the Canon EFS 55-250 (often sold in a kit with new cameras), but not particularly long. If you’re really into bird photography you might need something like the Sigma 150-600

Those first 2 lenses mentioned can be had around the £100 point, but the Sigma is over £600 s/h which is probably more than your current setup cost.

Last edited:
Back