Canon 1.4 50mm Lens

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Should the above lens be Very fast at AF? Should it every struggle and go slow or hangs?

Cheers

Should the above lens be Very fast at AF? Should it every struggle and go slow or hangs?

Cheers

my mate just got one of these sent last week from camera box with that your describing! his was broken! my 50mm is quick at focusing.

quick!

iv got one of theses and i find it hunts in low light,
great for outdoor portrait,
not great for indoor night gigs
just my 2p worth ;-)

iv got one of theses and i find it hunts in low light,
great for outdoor portrait,
not great for indoor night gigs
just my 2p worth ;-)

I would agree with that but you could say that about most lenses. In 'normal' conditions AF speed should be quite fast.

ie; my 50mm f1.4 is faster at focusing in the dark than my 24-70 f2.8 which is an L lens!

I had a 50mm f/1.4 stop focusing after just 2 weeks, but luckily the supplier gave me a replacement.

Sometimes mine hunts, but then its not my only lens that does that

It can struggle in low light but in good light it's pretty quick.

Its not very fast - but its fine for most things. If its portraits, then the odd bit of a hunt for focus doesn't matter. If it was for gigs, then you may get irritated at times. But, its a while since I've had my hands on a 1.8 (see sig) but my impression is that the 1.4 is better (ie faster) than the 1.8 at locking on.

it's not that fast at focusing - i tried a 24-105mm f4 L lens in slow light with the 50mm 1.4 and the f4 has the edge when it comes to speed of focusing

My 50 1.4 is faster at focusing than my now sold 100 macro

Back