Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

I see that using MkII converters still gives you an AF restriction in some lenses

I see that using MkII converters still gives you an AF restriction in some lenses

Yes Gary, for all it costs in the overall scheme of things, it's worth upgrading and they seem to come up on the 2nd hand stuff here fairly regularly.

George.

That's a great picture

I'm not going to look at this thread anymore :)

Not sure if I should tell you guys this or not but here goes
I bought a second hand cfast card from Amazon knowing that there was a few weeks wait once applying for the promotional one to arrive and I didn't think that it would arrive before Riat , my card took ages to arrive so much so I thought that I had done something wrong with the uploads , a week later I received my first promo card all well and good,guess what just received my second free promo card! . I now have 3 cfast oh well I'm sure when the new mk3 comes out it will have 2 cfast slots

Not sure if I should tell you guys this or not but here goes
I bought a second hand cfast card from Amazon knowing that there was a few weeks wait once applying for the promotional one to arrive and I didn't think that it would arrive before Riat , my card took ages to arrive so much so I thought that I had done something wrong with the uploads , a week later I received my first promo card all well and good,guess what just received my second free promo card! . I now have 3 cfast oh well I'm sure when the new mk3 comes out it will have 2 cfast slots

....in time for the next Olympics!!

Chipper, tied up this evening but will give you my settings tomorrow, for what it's worth!!

George.
Chipper, sorry I'm not going to do this till Thursday as I'm travelling at the moment, hope that's ok.

Perhaps others can chip in as well?

George.

Have been thinking about swapping in both my 1Dx's for MkII's, so out of curiosity called Calumet to ask what they would fetch for part exchange.

One has 38,000 actuations, the other has 43,000.

The answer was around £1000 each.

Somehow, I don't think I'll be part exing them

Perhaps others can chip in as well?
Coming from the 5Diii/7Dii camp as well, I'll offer what I can......
--Red menu, tab 4 AF Method: FlexiZoneAF or Tracking
Haven't sussed out what this is actually about, but I can tell you that live view zooming/focussing cannot be achieved unless this is set to FlexiZoneAF

-- 1st and 2nd image priority - I set these at Focus +2 on the others.
I've left this as default, same as I had on the previous bodies.
-- EOS iTR AF. - on or off?
Appears to be something to do with autofocus on peoples faces in the viewfinder whenever the focus area is set to wide. I've disabled it as I doubt if it works for birdies!! ;)
-- Selectable AF point. All? Only cross type? 15 or 9?
I've left mine at 'All Points' on the assumption that I don't want to be limited if I'm moving the focus point about.
-- area select mode? 7 to chose from.... Argh
We could probably write a chapter on this...... However, this particular menu item only relates to the availability of the options you will have when pressing the focus-area/m-fn buttons after you exit the menu. I've left them all ticked, but I tend to use spot (centre point) focus all the time anyway. The difference now is that I can move the focus point around when using the big lenses.
--auto, initial or manual AFpt
This is about where the default focus point is using AI Servo, but only when you move from manual to auto focus. I've just left it at Auto.
-- AF point selection movement: Stops at AF area edges. Or Continuous.
This is like the carriage return on a typewriter. If you move the focus point to the right, it can either stop at the edge, or continuing to press right will make it re-appear at the left.

Hope this helps...... (y)

Have been thinking about swapping in both my 1Dx's for MkII's, so out of curiosity called Calumet to ask what they would fetch for part exchange.

One has 38,000 actuations, the other has 43,000.

The answer was around £1000 each.

Somehow, I don't think I'll be part exing them
Sell em privately Nige. Should get £2500-£2800. It's worth it, the Mark II is so much better if only for the f8 AF.

Thanks John! Will go and set that up..appreciate the time taken. Tried to do some seascPes today but every time Inset the tripod up people just wandered in front.. ah well. It was good to handle the camera and also have it on a tripod. I like the buttons on the top; much easier to switch to B. Thanks again.

Last edited:
For those of you that would like a proper shutter count once you get past the 9,999 and have to begin keeping a tally of how many times you have gone past this marker.
Here is a free completely spam free small Astro programme you may not be interested in however has the oddly useful ability of showing the proper and full shutter count.
On another note I have used this programme for my 1D MKIV as this camera is known for not showing the full shutter count.
But I also found the programme very interesting in it's own right.
I have checked and it has been updated to include the 1D X MK II.
It does actually show the shutter count for all digital Canon camera way back to some very old models.

For those of you that would like a proper shutter count once you get past the 9,999 and have to begin keeping a tally of how many times you have gone past this marker.
Here is a free completely spam free small Astro programme you may not be interested in however has the oddly useful ability of showing the proper and full shutter count.
On another note I have used this programme for my 1D MKIV as this camera is known for not showing the full shutter count.
But I also found the programme very interesting in it's own right.
I have checked and it has been updated to include the 1D X MK II.
It does actually show the shutter count for all digital Canon camera way back to some very old models.

Sadly not a Mac OS programme.....but thanks anyway.

I just use the menu function to get the shutter count to the nearest 1000.

andrewjw I came from a Canon 10D to a 1D MKII then a 1D MKIV and now the 1D X MKII
You won't regret for a milli second the upgrade.
I remember going from the 1D MK II to the MKIV and thinking how apart from the extra resolution there wasn't much difference in AF speed and only a small jump in the FPS.
However, this move due I suppose not going to the original X has been a revelation.
The FPS aren't that overly impressive as 10 fps is still very good.
The AF speed has made a massive difference.
What has made the hugest of differences is the ability to shoot clean at high iso.
I found that 6400 iso was the most I would push the MKIV to and prefered to keep it at 3200 iso max really.
Now I have been using 25600 iso and have printed out M2 jpegs straight out of camera for sale at events several times now.
Even my own critical eye has been very happy with the results, most of us are overly critical of our own work.
If you can, go for it, not sure you need to of course but Calumet HERE have three in stock and 24 months 0% finance.
Good luck...

Does anyone own a WFT-E6? It says it's compatible - but can't see much on a 'what's the difference' search with the WFT-E8?

Really starting to see the difference in quality with the 1DX and the 1DXII the more I'm editing. The 1DXII is so much nicer. Don't know the technicals of it all but glad I got it.

In the main a faster transfer and the ability to control via the app. The 8 is backward compatible, the 6 not forward... :(
So the 6 on the mk2 will just transfer - whereas the 8 will do it more quickly - and can also control the app... thanks...

Are we allowed to post FB groups here? Not as advertising - but to get together a group of like minded people?

Please do give me a rap on the wrist if it's not allowed - but have started a new group for 1DX mark 2 owners - as an additional place to share images - TP will always be the number one - but FB tends to be more wordwide - so if anyone's interested - pop over and join the new FB group I created simply for sharing images and discussions...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/canon1dxmkii

Has anyone used the slo-mo video yet?
I thought I'd have a dabble today, 1080p and 100fps... I love the smoothness of the video, but it does appear to be very noisy?!

Apologies for the crap subject matter - but they're at least reliable! :D

I sold my 70-200 2.8 II lens to get the sigma 150-600 sports, hand held the 150-600 for a full 8 hour rally event, gave a few of my fellow photogs a shot of the 1DXII and the sigma, one guy wanted to try it on his 5D3 and gave me his 70-200 2.8 II and I realised I needed this focal length back, got that and a 24-70 II and I'm all set, maybe get the sigma art 35mm next but I'm finally happy.

Heres a shot messing around with the 1DXII and 70-200 II

Just a shame its so soft online.

Chris by Derek Mackinnon, on Flickr

Has anyone got and also used the Yongnuo 600EX-RT flash with their 1DX MKII yet?
I have and have found that they almost work 100%
So what doesn't?
The high speed sync.
Although I did manage to get to 320/sec without a black band along the bottom, 400/sec gives a third of the frame in black.
I haven't updated the firmware ever since I purchased them as they worked with all features on my 1D MKIV inc the high speed sync.

Just wondered about anyone else and if you have updated the firmware and found it to solve this issue.

Has anyone successfully managed to claim the cfast card and reader from canon through calumet and v12 finance?

Has anyone successfully managed to claim the cfast card and reader from canon through calumet and v12 finance?
This doesn't answer your question Derek, but I'm a bit disappointed with the process thus far....

Firstly, I received e-mails saying "Thank-You for sending your application for the CFast2.0 promotion" on the 11th and 15th August (two separate claims).

Then, on the 23rd, I received two e-mails saying that I'd successfully registered for the promotion and that I had to confirm my postal address via the web portal using the log-in details which had already been sent to me. Trouble is that I've not had any log-in details sent to me, nor have I any knowledge of the web-portal to use.

I've now e-mailed them to exaplin my plight and that was last Tuesday. As yet, I've heard nothing more. :mad:

This doesn't answer your question Derek, but I'm a bit disappointed with the process thus far....

Firstly, I received e-mails saying "Thank-You for sending your application for the CFast2.0 promotion" on the 11th and 15th August (two separate claims).

Then, on the 23rd, I received two e-mails saying that I'd successfully registered for the promotion and that I had to confirm my postal address via the web portal using the log-in details which had already been sent to me. Trouble is that I've not had any log-in details sent to me, nor have I any knowledge of the web-portal to use.

I've now e-mailed them to exaplin my plight and that was last Tuesday. As yet, I've heard nothing more. :mad:

Sounds like a right faff :) Maybe it's their way of discouraging claims....

Mine was easy, register ser number on site, they confirm by email, another email saying log in details and link to check progress, another email saying now approved, waiting for card and reader. :)

Has anyone got and also used the Yongnuo 600EX-RT flash with their 1DX MKII yet?
I have and have found that they almost work 100%
So what doesn't?
The high speed sync.
Although I did manage to get to 320/sec without a black band along the bottom, 400/sec gives a third of the frame in black.
I haven't updated the firmware ever since I purchased them as they worked with all features on my 1D MKIV inc the high speed sync.

Just wondered about anyone else and if you have updated the firmware and found it to solve this issue.

The Yongnuo wasn't that consistent on the Mk1. I've had a loan of a few and had issues with them on the Mk1

Back