Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

The lenses are hardly worth while getting from the likes of hdew and digital rev right now. Although the 1DXII is around a £1000 cheaper with DR but glad I kept in in the UK this time.

I got a quote from DRev of £4400. That's without a CFast card & reader. Don't want to say what I paid for my cameras, but if you take the DR price and add the cost of the CF bundle and a spare battery, I reckon they would have been much of a muchness!! :eek:

frabz-what-if-i-told-you-resistance-is-futile-b58dab.jpg

Your not helping..!

I hate taking photo's with an iPhone!! :mad:

16219-1471561461-f6535f5c7b092497d33d6a2793a6c075.jpg

Doesn't make me a 'Pro', nor does it mean that I take brilliant shots, but it does help a bit......:D

Last edited:
I blame George for the second one. I realised in the first hour of ownership that my 5Diii's were history. Then George mentioned getting a second one, despite him having a mk1 already, so I just bit the bullet.

My cameras are almost permanantly attached to these two lenses. However, I sometimes go to the other extreme on cold, dark nights (like a werewolf, you see....!!). Then the big guns come off and the little ones go on. One body gets a 14mm and the other a 24mm, then we sit on top of a hill for hours waiting for the magic like this:

16000-1469605260-20bb083e508debb603025b82734c4393.jpg

Can't wait to see what these new bodies make of an aurora........ :D

I'm still trying to work out the need for the additional LCD panel at the bottom. All it appears to do is tell you the file number/location, which seems to be unnecessary info. Does it do anything else? I've yet to RTFM, so I may be missing something (like a proper paper manual for a start!). :confused:

I've just bought my 2nd body from CVP who are an authorised Canon dealer so the CFast reader and card offer applies for a few more weeks anyway, anyone interested drop me a pm and I'll pass on the relevant details.

They've got some in stock at the moment, so perhaps open to a deal?

George.

I'm still trying to work out the need for the additional LCD panel at the bottom. All it appears to do is tell you the file number/location, which seems to be unnecessary info. Does it do anything else? I've yet to RTFM, so I may be missing something (like a proper paper manual for a start!). :confused:

Also tells you the GPS acquisition status, when it's logging, wireless lan status and wired lan status.

Bottom screen is certainly handy for me. Nice to be able to quickly switch between cards and what fe to record in or size.

I blame George for the second one. I realised in the first hour of ownership that my 5Diii's were history. Then George mentioned getting a second one, despite him having a mk1 already, so I just bit the bullet.

Oh dear, well I'm really sorry, John, mine will be arriving next week as I'm currently off Skye and I don't fancy the chances with the post!!

I had intended to use my mk1 as a backup, but find myself changing lenses to keep using the mk2 hence the 2nd purchase....

Been shooting a White tail eagle chick (Sea eagle) with the 400 DO mk2 and 2x mk3, af simply superb but the damn bird is still a bit far away.

Anyway I'll leave you with this thought....

IMG_8985.JPG

George

Been shooting a White tail eagle chick (Sea eagle) with the 400 DO mk2 and 2x mk3, af simply superb but the damn bird is still a bit far away.
I'm not a huge fan of WTE's - ugly birds!! However, Skye is a favourite haunt of mine for Goldies. This was not too long ago on Skye with the 7Dii:

16008-1469631109-6dc5deeab2ded05e48b2a64129683bff.jpg

Off to Lewis in a few weeks, so hopefully I'll get better than this with the new toys.:D

When you say you're currently 'off Skye', do you actually live there, or did you mean 'off to Skye'? I had you down as a Fifer from your profile page! Lang spoon required.....:p

Last edited:
Bottom screen is certainly handy for me. Nice to be able to quickly switch between cards and what fe to record in or size.
Not been able to swap cards yet Derek, but maybe when the CFast cards arrive I'll find more use for the LCD.;)

I'm not a huge fan of WTE's - ugly birds!! However, Skye is a favourite haunt of mine for Goldies. This was not too long ago on Sky with the 7Dii:

Off to Lewis in a few weeks, so hopefully I'll get better than this with the new toys.:D

When you say you're currently 'off Skye', do you actually live there, or did you mean 'off to Skye'? I had you down as a Fifer from your profile page! Lang spoon required.....:p

Raasay actually, our other house. Goldies come over here as well, but it's only the 2nd WTE chick on our island so far.

Not been able to swap cards yet Derek, but maybe when the CFast cards arrive I'll find more use for the LCD.;)

Having, in the past, made a major mistake and inadvertently set my raw file size to small raw I now set the camera up so that when you press the small button by the bottom led the card choice and file sizes appear on the main lcd

I'm not a huge fan of WTE's - ugly birds!! However, Skye is a favourite haunt of mine for Goldies. This was not too long ago on Skye with the 7Dii:

I'm from Lewis so give me a shout when you're up.

Any update on this, Glen??

BTW, spent an afternoon yesterday initially doing a lot of IS and AF with no shots then took over 1000 shots, mostly bursts of 6-20 of a sea eagle and chick, battery showed 79% left!!!!

A lot more than I expected!!....and I can't recall one OOF shot that wasn't user error!!

George.

Been away on hols buddy,used it for a race weekend before i departed and it didn't lock up since its last visit to Canon but was shooting in jpeg with a new Sandisk CFast card.

Still dont trust it for work so used the 1DX on the 500mm and 300mm.

Packing up the end of this season to spend more time with the wife and kids so all my Canon gear will be up for sale soon.

Best wishes bud.

Hi Gadget Guy..can you tell me about the seascape... Tripod? Filters? Be interesting to a 1Dx2 newbie...

Hi Gadget Guy..can you tell me about the seascape... Tripod? Filters? Be interesting to a 1Dx2 newbie...

Bracket of 5 exposures taken on tripod with no filters,picked my favourite two from the set then blended together in photoshop and adjusted using layer masks.
Comes out a lot cleaner than using merge to HDR in Lightroom or Photomatix Pro but still learning myself,lot better examples in the landscape section of the forum i'm sure but worth doing a search on luminosity masks for a read.

Hmm, didn't take my advice and stop looking at the thread???....:(

Nicky, I've been through all the options in both the mk1 and mk2 and I've decided on the mk2 that case mode 2 works pretty well and if you need to you can then play with the options.

George.

ps but it's a bit of a culture shock from a 7D mk1!!!

Hi George,
I've used a 7d2 and 5d3 for birds in flight and have managed to get stuff I am pleased with. I took my shiny new 1dx2 to Slimbridge today and I was a bit bemused and somewhat fed up not to have a manual to refer to..a paper one, I mean. I have been looking through the menus to see if there are things there that I may not have set appropriately so, if you (or any other helpful soul out there) could spare the time, I would be very grateful if you could help me with this so my next trip out isn't as frustrating.

--Red menu, tab 4 AF Method: FlexiZoneAF or Tracking

-- 1st and 2nd image priority - I set these at Focus +2 on the others.

-- EOS iTR AF. - on or off?

-- Selectable AF point. All? Only cross type? 15 or 9?

-- area select mode? 7 to chose from.... Argh

--auto, initial or manual AFpt

And in the final AF tab:

-- AF point selection movement: Stops at AF area edges. Or Continuous.

Thanks
:)

Chipper, tied up this evening but will give you my settings tomorrow, for what it's worth!!

George.

Back