Canon 1 DX or 5 DS R......opinion appreciated!

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Just about got the cash for a 5 DS R but noticed the price drop on the 1 DX to similar levels on some sites. Always thought the DX was a serious piece of kit and it would have certain advantages for action photography fps etc... Just thinking the technology in the 5D might be more up to date and relevant. Any thoughts out there particularly from the lucky ones who have received their 5 Ds. Which would you choose and why????

They're totally different cameras for different purposes. What do you shoot and what do you want from the camera?

Absolutely!!! 5Ds studio and landscape, 1 Dx action and low light to name but a few!!

orange or apple which is best? Sorry OP but not a great comparison of cameras..

if you want all purpose (as in dark, light, indoor, outdoor, rain, sun) action as you mention then you can't beat the 1dx at all...nothing else in the canon range comes close..

Thanks for the comments! Do a bit of everything really! Motor sports and surf probably have the edge but keen on landscape and portrait too. Previously had a 7 D mark 1 and a 1 D mark 111 and used them accordingly- was hoping to move away from having to have two bodies and use just one but appreciate that means making a compromise so wondering which way to jump - at this sort of money can't have both[emoji41]

Thanks for the comments! Do a bit of everything really! Motor sports and surf probably have the edge but keen on landscape and portrait too. Previously had a 7 D mark 1 and a 1 D mark 111 and used them accordingly- was hoping to move away from having to have two bodies and use just one but appreciate that means making a compromise so wondering which way to jump - at this sort of money can't have both[emoji41]

D810... if youre prepared to switch

Too much glass to change tbh - think the biggest factors for me are on one side the weight of the 1 DX for landscapes, especially up on the fells, possible improved sharpness on the 5 DS R ( I'd like improved sharpness) on the other hand the 1DX offers great fps, better ISO range...appreciate there are other factors to consider and there's lots of arguments re how many pixels you really need but you DX users sound a happy crew [emoji3]

I think we are, Peter, the general consensus I think is that it's the best body Canon has come up with so far.........but we'd still like a bit more Dynamic range, so nothing is set in stone!!

Get the 5Ds R if
- you need more than 18MP
- cannot afford a 1D X
- you need 1080p60.

Get the 1D X if
- you need more than 5fps
- you need more than ISO 6,400
- can afford a 1D X

I watched a presentation in Dursley last week. The 1Dx low light capability was tremendous... The 5dsr detail in very small sections of the image was jaw dropping. The tiff file from a 5drs is huge, almost 300mb and each layer in Photoshop of an equal size. It was made clear that the machine for processing would need to be a bit of a beast. I saw an advert from one of the on line retailers, maybe Wex but not sure, already discounting a medium format camera by £2k.. Perhaps medium format producers will be put under pressure by this, especially given the option of using crops of the 5drs sensor. Interesting times. Expensive too! I'm sticking with my 5d3.

i don't if you've made your choice yet but from what you say you want to photograph a 1dx sounds the best option

a couple of years ago i was thinking along your lines but between the 5d mk3 and the 1dx i went for the 1dx and i'm glad i did
i am strictly amateur and to be honest most things i shoot could be regarded as snapshots but i don't worry about taking it on to the beach, it getting wet i just use feeling quite confident that whatever i point it at will give me decent results ( providing iv'e set the thing up properly in the first place ) and don't feel disappointed coming away from a day with the camera
it is heavy but you get used to it
is it overkill for what i use it for ?
of course it is but i don't care i wanted something that would produce good results no matter what i pointed it at and not worry about the weather or where i took it, for me the 1dx ticked all the right boxes and probably other camera bodies would too but the 1dx is the one i chose

it's an incredible piece of machinery which by far surpasses my abilities but that is what i wanted
in other words if the photo's crap it's not the camera :)

Thanks for the comments- by way of an update I went against my gut feeling and the sway of the comments and ordered the 5 DS R from Panamoz- was pleased with the sub £2.5 k price and quick delivery ( appreciate the various views on warranty etc.. ) . I tried it yesterday for surf shots with a 300 2.8L and 1.4 extender- whilst it was " chugging" a bit on fps - I got what I needed and found the 1.6 crop useful when I started getting wet feet! I varied the settings a bit and tried some with the " fine detail" setting just to see how it turned out! Will have a look later at the results in more detail!

In an ideal world I can see reasons to have both but budget dictates otherwise- should say I've kept my lllD for a better fps when needed!

Thanks again though for the comments and opinion- it's appreciated and really I think part of what this site is all about [emoji3]

1D X is amazing all rounder and will happily do landscapes as well or better than the regular 5D III. 5Ds R is for mega big prints (A1++), so its a dedicated landscape or studio body, where medium format is way too expensive.

Back