Canon 10-22mm or Sigma 10-20mm for Canon 450D (crop sensor)

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

Looking to buy a wide angle lens for architecture, commercial/home property, and landscape work for my Canon 450D.

Which one would be more worthwhile on my crop sensor?

I believe the Canon lens is only for a crop sensor, wouldn't this lens be more efficient (wider angle image than the Sigma) to buy rather than the Sigma?

Both lenses are 10mm at the wide end and both lenses are crop only.

I can't comment on the Canon but I recently bought the Sigma 10-20 f3.5. I love the lens, it's well built, it's EX which is Sigma's higher end glass and it takes sharp images. I have noticed a little distortion, which is easily correctable. The distortion is not as noticeable as my 17-70 Sigma, which isn't bad either.

Both lenses are 10mm at the wide end and both lenses are crop only.

The Canon 10-22mm is crop only. The Sigma isn't.

The 8-16mm Sigma for crop sensors is usefully wider and better optical quality than the 10-20mm, but not so easy to use with filters.

Both are for crop sensors.

Another to consider is the 10-18. A newet model than the 10-22, smaller, lighter and cheaper.

Hmm. The 10-18mm seems ok and it's cheap as chips (nearly). Might go for it.

Hi @Dael_Pix I have both the canon 10-22mm and the 10-18mm and also the Tokina 11-20mm :)
The Canon 10-18mm is amazingly sharp, and cost effective, and would be ideal for your needs as listed.
The Canon 10-22mm is a substantial lens, but its showing its age now. You do get that extra 2mm of zoom but its optically not a good as the newer canon.
The Tokina 11-20mm is again very substantial and at a constant F2.8 is perfect for low light work, its also very sharp.

For daytime work, ease of use and weight the Canon 10-18mm wins hands down. Once the ambient light begins to fail, the Constant 2.8 of the Tokina cant be beaten imho.

Regards
Geoff

Last edited:
Thank you for your input Geoff

I have the Sigma 10-22mm but having a lot of problems with it which I won't go in to here. It's knackered basically.
Just ordering the Canon 10-18mm lens from Wex now (also get a £20 cashback) :)

Is it worth getting a hood for it?

Last edited:
Pretty certain you're wrong here. If the Sigma fitted a FF it would be the cheapest UWA available by quite a margin.

No offence but I'm not too bothered who is right or wrong.

I've always thought the Sigma would fit on the full frame given from all the reviews and photos I've seen with the lens on Flickr and 500px

I've had the Cannon 10-22 for around 9 years, one of my fav lenses, now on a 70D and i cant fault it for what it is.
No experience of the Sigma sorry.

Apologies, you live and learn.

It does physically fit onto Nikon FF but as the picture shows it's pretty useless at 10mm. You can crop but then it would only be about 15mm. On most Nikon FF you can use it in DX mode but what's the point. Buy a FF lens.

I was agreeing with you about it not being a FF lens;). If I'm understanding your quote correctly by which I think you mean the point at which thre is no vignetting then there isn't. Even 'zoomed' in to 20mm the image circle size is still practically the same. Where on my Tokina 11-16mm there is only a small amount of vignetting at 16mm but other problems arise, like the coma being awful ( it's fine on my crop d7100) which makes it useless for astro. Again FF needs FF glass :)

The Sigma 10-20 is in their DC range which is suitable for crop sensors only - it will physically fit on FF bodies without fouling the mirror but will not give full frame coverage.

GPN_3121 by gpn63, on Flickr
GPN_3119 by gpn63, on Flickr

I've always thought the Sigma would fit on the full frame given from all the reviews and photos I've seen with the lens on Flickr and 500px

Yes, it fits but it doesn't give FF coverage.

The Sigma is crop only.

Even if it wasn't, it's the same focal length (10mm).

The Sigma 10-20mm EX DC comes in two varieties. The older f4-5.6 version and now they've added an f3.5 (constant) version, but you can still buy the f4-5.6 as well as it is cheaper.
Both are good lenses and pretty sharp. The f3.5 version doesn't really offer much of an advantage over the f4-5.6 version.
With Sigma model names, the DC part of the model name means it's for Crop sensors. Like the Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC. If it says DG in the model name, that means it's full frame, for example the Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG HSM Art.

I have owned the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 and found it to be pretty good, there was some distortion but that's not surprising on an ultra wide and it's correctable.
They are better built than the Canon 10-18mm (which are equivalent quality to the 18-55mm kit lens) and are much better suited to long exposure work as the manual focusing has a longer throw and thus is easier to accurately to focus.
For the price (£160-180, s/h) the Sigma is a good buy.

The Canon 10-18mm arrived just before 12noon today.....now to test it out :D

ABTog
I already own the Sigma 10-20mm but it's faulty from the start. The angle of the lens was rather good from the images I got out of it.

Images taken with the Sigma. Not doing anything with the lens so there' s no need to talk about it.

_MG_1663 by Daelpix Photography, on Flickr
Linton by Daelpix Photography, on Flickr

The following image was a bad exposure, but if you zoom in on the image on Flickr, you'll see that it's soft of the left side. The image appears soft from the left side of the bridge.
The Ballachulish Hotel by Daelpix Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Sigma DC lenses (and similar third-party lenses) are for crop-sensor APS-C cameras only. Sigma DG is full-frame.

The confusion arises because Sigma DC etc will physically fit and function on full-frame cameras, but the image won't fill the frame - as shown above. Canon EF-S lenses have a lug on the mount to prevent fitting to full-frame cameras. Canon has done this to take advantage of the smaller mirror in APS-C cameras, allowing the lens to move closer to the sensor, making optical design of wide-angles easier for improved performance (at least in theory).

Haven't got chance to test the Canon 10-18mm yet. Had a filling done today, so it was a bit too late to drive somewhere........So it'll have to be tomorrow when I test it.

I still have my Canon 10-22 for my cropped Canon's, love it, one of the very best UWA lenses I've ever used. Now, if only I could use it on my 6d...

My Sigma 10-20mm went sharp on one side after my "assistant" kicked it across the floor. Sigma repaired it to perfection. Can't recall how much, but they give a free quotation. Might be quite a bit cheaper than getting a new lens -- it was for me at the time.

The Canon 10-18mm arrived just before 12noon today.....now to test it out :D

ABTog
I already own the Sigma 10-20mm but it's faulty from the start. The angle of the lens was rather good from the images I got out of it.

Images taken with the Sigma. Not doing anything with the lens so there' s no need to talk about it.

The following image was a bad exposure, but if you zoom in on the image on Flickr, you'll see that it's soft of the left side. The image appears soft from the left side of the bridge.
The Ballachulish Hotel by Daelpix Photography, on Flickr

Your original post didn't say that you already had the Sigma 10-20mm.
That lens can be soft towards the corners, but it tends to improve when you bump the aperture up to f8 or more. That shot was at f5.6, so it's not surprising it's a little soft in the corner. Besides for landscape stuff, f8 is fine.

If you've now bought the Canon 10-18mm, you could do some comparison shots to see whether it is actually better. Compare the same scene at 10mm f4, f5.6, f8, etc to see if they are as good.
As someone pointed out to me when I was looking to buy one of these lenses, the fact that the Canon 10-22mm is double the price of the 10-18mm gives a clue as to the quality of the lens. The 10-18 is the same sort of body, the same quality of glass and IS system as the kit 18-55mm lenses. It's not going to be as good as the 10-22mm, but then for the money the 10-18 is good bang for your buck.

ABTog

I felt that since there's something wrong with the lens, there wasn't any need for me to mention it. I didn't use it that often. I tested the Sigma out using different f-stops and it didn't make any difference. The lens now has a connection issue with my camera so i cannot use it. So I won't be comparing results. It'll teach me buying on eBay from Hong Kong. I'm actually trying to sell the Sigma along with two Canon lenses on here.....if they don't get sold, I may revert to ebay.

ABTog

I felt that since there's something wrong with the lens, there wasn't any need for me to mention it. I didn't use it that often. I tested the Sigma out using different f-stops and it didn't make any difference. The lens now has a connection issue with my camera so i cannot use it. So I won't be comparing results. It'll teach me buying on eBay from Hong Kong. I'm actually trying to sell the Sigma along with two Canon lenses on here.....if they don't get sold, I may revert to ebay.

I know you probably won't want to now you've bought something to replace it with, but you could get the Sigma sorted at a fixed rate from Sigma.

Last edited:
I know you probably won't want to know you've bought something to replace it with, but you could get the Sigma sorted at a fixed rate from Sigma.

I sent it to Sigma twice, but they failed to fix it

Was that with Sigma? They guarantee their repairs?

Yes it was Sigma(UK). The second time I sent it, they said they couldn't do anything about it and they offered to send it to Sigma(Hong Kong), but they failed to fix it. No point sending it back.

I have the Canon 10-18 and I am very pleased. I'm sure there are better lenses but I don't use wide angle enough to justify the cost. Enjoy.

Back