Canon 10-22mm vs Sigma 10-20mm

Gawd, with all the replies I am even more confused about which one to go for :)
However, I think I will try Sigma first (if Jessops let me) then use the rest of the cash to buy a 430 EX MK II online.

I know a number of people that have needed one for work images and all have ended up with the canon in the end. I did recently go shopping with my mum for one of these and she went for the siggy. The first one the shop pulled off the shelf was woefully poor and soft across the whole frame, the second, really sharp. Does seem to me that whilst you might feel a bit of a pain in the shop, get them to open as many as you can and take the best of the pick. (y)

How did you view the pics in the shop?
Via the LCD screen on the camera or did they upload them to a PC for you to view?

The screen on a canon 450. It was more than good enough to see difference in sharpness across the frame between the copies of a lens. The most important thing was to keep the conditions the same between each test. Ideally, getting the camera on a tripod is a good bet.

They said 'Sharpness is disapointing and more colour fringing than most'.

Too be fair, they said this about the Sigma: 'Poor sharpness at frame edges, often overexposed during tests'.

They have also said about the Sigma: 'This old favourite of ours can deliver impressive results as long as you steer clear of it's widest apertures and keep an eye on exposure'.

The only complaint they made about the canon is that the hood is another £30.

I've heard a lot about poor colour fringing on the Tokina and was ready to have to sort it out with ARC, but it turned out (at least with mine) that it was the best lens I have. I've hardly seen any CA on it at all, and definately none that would be classed as bad. That did suprise me a bit though.

The sharpness is supposed to be one of it's pluspoints, especially edge sharpness.

I'd agree about the canon, although I would have prefered a slightly better build quality from it, it wasn't bad but not as good as the Tokina, which at a hundred or so £ cheaper shouldn't be the case.

The main thing I didn't like about the Sigma though was the build quality, compared to the other two (I tested them side by side from a shop for about an hour) it felt cheap and cheerful, the BQ was just poor.:)

Galaxy66 said:
In my opinion too much emphasis can be placed on reviews as there are a few variables between each review such as the parameters of the test, obviously different copies of the lens on test, the reviewers own personal opinion, and lastly who's to know there is not a bit of encouragement from manufacturers for a result in their favour.

True, but my observations back it up, and when I was looking into a W/A there were a couple of people who had the two concurrently and chose the Tokina over the Sigma. That is pretty convincing.:)

Tokina also don't seem to have problems with QC that Sigma have, if buying online (like I usually do) that can be a real plus for the Tokina too.

Gawd, with all the replies I am even more confused about which one to go for :)
However, I think I will try Sigma first (if Jessops let me) then use the rest of the cash to buy a 430 EX MK II online.

Great decision----The differences are so marginal and essentially aesthetic and when stopped down disappear altogether----lets face it DOF is not an issue with one of these babies.Just get yourself up CLOSE and enjoy !!
Pete.

In my opinion too much emphasis can be placed on reviews as there are a few variables between each review such as the parameters of the test, obviously different copies of the lens on test, the reviewers own personal opinion, and lastly who's to know there is not a bit of encouragement from manufacturers for a result in their favour.

True, but my observations back it up, and when I was looking into a W/A there were a couple of people who had the two concurrently and chose the Tokina over the Sigma. That is pretty convincing.:)

Tokina also don't seem to have problems with QC that Sigma have, if buying online (like I usually do) that can be a real plus for the Tokina too.

It was just a general opinion of reviews, wasn't saying either was better than the other:)

Here's a shot today from my new Sigma 10-20mm. I'm not having any problems with the sharpness (I don't think! lol) and the build quality feels fine considering the price.

3203737593_1b515d450a_o.jpg

Ah nice photo there gman just bought my sigma 10-20 and cant wait to get out out there and start using it.

Back