Canon 100L vs Sigma 105 OS autofocus

Edit My Images
Yes
Morning everyone
Does anyone own both these lenses?
Or just use the sigma for small insects ?
What is the sigma like at acquiring focus on small areas like for example a Damselflies tail ?
I already have the 100L as well as an old version of the sigma 105
I am considering getting the Sigma 105 OS
What is the autofocus like on the Sigma especially for picking up focus on small parts of subjects?
My main subjects are insects and my favourites are Damselflies
I often focus stack and autofocus on different parts of the insect and combine the images later
My 7D 2 and 100L combination sometimes struggles to pick up focus on small parts like the Damselflies tail and I’m wondering if the sigma may be better
My 100L also has an intermittent fault so am considering a new lens anyway

I know that most people manual focus for macro and I do normally when there’s time but sometimes there’s not time with a skittish subject

I owned the sigma for just over a year, if you use the focus limiter it's af is OK, but for macro, I use manual focus. On a tripod the af was not an issue, hand held it seemed slower, and I would put that down to my body moving and the lens looking for focus, giving the illusion of it unnecessarily focus hunting

Get the 100L fixed, I think that is king of the hill for Macro on the Canon mount, I had it for 7 years.

Last edited:
I owned the sigma for just over a year, if you use the focus limiter it's af is OK, but for macro, I use manual focus. On a tripod the af was not an issue, hand held it seemed slower, and I would put that down to my body moving and the lens looking for focus, giving the illusion of it unnecessarily focus hunting
Get the 100L fixed, I think that is kind of the hill for Macro on the Canon mount, I had it for 7 years.

Thanks very much it does look like the Canon 100L is the best bet and I may as well get it repaired
It’s a bit tricky as the fault is intermittent I think the aperture may be starting to stick

Back