Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro + 1.4 TC.

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,
I need some help please.
I just received my used 150mm Sigma from a camera shop but sadly i have to return it as OS is not working.
It was also quite heavy so rather than go down this route i am thinking Canon 100mm f2.8 + 1.4 TC.
I believe i will need to use one of my kenko tubes for fitment.
My question is, what can i expect if i get the latest 100mm L f2.8 with the 12mm kenko tube and 1.4mkIII extender?
I think the standard MWD is nigh on 6", will this increase and if so by how much?
Will it serve well as a macro lens like this or should i just go for the Sigma150mm non IS, or maybe a 180mm?
I will mainly be doing handheld macro in the field, i do have a Yongnuo twin light flash for those duller days.
Thanks.

The sigma 105 f2.8 os macro is also a great lens and takes a teleconverter

Why bother with the extender - it would make much more sense to just use your Kenko tubes (I assume you have the set of 3?)

I think he wants to increase the working distance not the magnification ... tubes will make it worse.

Forget the tube in the middle and instead buy a Kenko teleconverter which works very well with the 100mm L macro and as they don't have the protruding front element like the Canon extender will fit fine.

Last edited:
I think he wants to increase the working distance not the magnification ... tubes will make it worse.

Forget the tube in the middle and instead buy a Kenko teleconverter which works very well with the 100mm L macro and as they don't have the protruding front element like the Canon extender will fit fine.
I have one thanks Mike and that's exactly it, will it increase the working distance?
Thanks

I use my Canon 100 F2.8 Macro with both the 1.4 and 2 x Mk3 extenders (with a short extension tube) and it gives great results. AF will slow - but they are not fast in the first place - it really doesn't make any practical difference. Naturally there is some IQ loss with extenders - but it isn't much, if you get the shot right then the images (with Canon Mk3 extenders) will be just fine.

Pretty sure the canon. 100mm doesn’t accept any converters, the 180mm does..!!
It accepts the kenko converter without a 12mm tube.

Google is your friend .... ;)

LINK
It is Mike and it only took me 2hrs to find the answer :).
The answer for anyone else who may ever see this thread is No, adding an extender does not increase the MWD.

Back