Canon 100mm Macro lens

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to get into macro photography. I have been looking at the Canon 100mm 2.8L macro lens and the price has dropped to £660 brand new (park cameras).

Is this the lens I should be buying? I have a Canon 550d. I haven't thought about extension tubes or reversing because I don't really understand them and as far as I'm aware this lens will be easy to use. But is it £250 better than the non-L macro? What kind of lighting will I need?

Does extension tubes + nifty fifty give you acceptable IQ in comparison?

Sorry. so many questions but I'm a relative newbie :help:

Richard,

90-100-105mm is a good place to start off with macro and this lens is as good as it gets in that range.
Is it worth £250 more than the non-L, non-IS? 75% of the time, it isn't worth the extra but the other 25% of the time it certainly is.

Bob

Canon Bob said:
Richard,

90-100-105mm is a good place to start off with macro and this lens is as good as it gets in that range.
Is it worth £250 more than the non-L, non-IS? 75% of the time, it isn't worth the extra but the other 25% of the time it certainly is.

Bob

Weather seal and build quality too.

Thanks Bob,

Any ideas on what lighting I'd need? I'm interested in the usual bugs and flowers and would use it mainly outdoors. I'm assuming 100mm will give me enough range not to scare off the critters but I'm then assuming I'll need extra lighting.

I have an MT-24EX fixed to the front of mine but it's not an essential item in good daylight.....simply that I go out at dusk when the flies and bugs have settled down for a kip. Any Speedlight with a plastic milk carton diffuser will get you started when a lighting boost is needed.

The 100mm should provide enough working distance once you've honed your stalking skills (approach without casting a shadow over the subject)

Bob

It a great lens I should use it more it also a good portrait lens
quick grabbed shot daylight nothing done to it gives youa idea

4691853302_6f099647d3_z.jpg

aslo 2 taken @ f2.8 iso 1600 on a canon 20d so new cameras bettter resolution
2148576963_b1692e65d5.jpg
2149371680_78eb90f46b.jpg

Last edited:
The 100mm is a great lens not only for macro but for any type of photography. The L is certainly much better with build quality and weather sealing.
Most of the time the natural light works just fine and sometimes i even use the on camera flash and it does the job for me! The only thing to master is the focusing, at f2.8 with such close distant you will need some practice to get the focusing right.

Thanks folks.

I think I'm pretty much sold on this lens now. Think I'll leave the flash for later when I might have a better idea of what I want. Just need some decent daylight now.

Back