Canon 10D to 30D or 40D...

Edit My Images
No
Hi folks,

Have just joined this forum and was immediately struck by how helpful you guys are so thought you might be kind enough to help me out with some kit advice...

I've been using a 10D for quite a few years now and although its never done me wrong Im very aware that I need to upgrade and initially was just going to move up to the 20D but after looking around figured for the extra price I may as well go for a 30D.

Now comes the quandry - do I go all the way, bite the bullet, and pay for a 40D - is it that much better considering Im quite happy with my 10D at the moment? Or am i just getting carried away with gear lust?

Any thoughts will be much appreciated...

I've had a 30d for a year and its been so good for me. If you can get one in good condition at a good price then you won't be dissapointed. Having said that, the 40d is a nice upgrade from the 30d so if its not going to hurt your wallet too much more then go for it. I always get the best i can afford, and it will last you a long time.

The 40d body only is available here (http://www.martinscamerashop.co.uk/canon-eos-40d-camera-body-lens-not-included-201-p.asp) for under £500 after canon cashback. If you already have lenses, then thats a good deal!

i currently have a 10D aswell and if I wasn't planning on a move to the world of full frame goodness then I would definately be upgrading to a 40D. It'll be a massive step up and well worth it.

However I have spent a fair amount of time using a 30D and even that would be a great upgrade over the 10D.

Stop and think for a minute:

Why do you want a 40D. You say you're happy with the 10D (And its a fine camera), what do you think a 40D would bring to the table that a 10D doesn't. OK I can list a whole number of differences between the 10D and the 40D, but are they important to you. Sometimes there is one aspect of a camera that makes it the one for you.
OK the 10D is an aging camera but it's well built. Only real drawback is the lower pixel count, but then do you need all them thar pixels on a 40D.

I still have a 300D that still produces excellent results, with a decent lens on it.

Not saying don't ,but just playing Devils Advocate

I would say speed alone is the biggest reason for upgrading, for me anyway. that's the only thing that annoys me about the 10D, it's just so slow at doing everything.

I upgraded from a 10D to a 30D just before the 40D was released, literally a week before. I asked myself would i use the extra features of the 40D and apart from better midrange colours i wouldn't benefit for the extra couple of hundred quid it would have cost me, i wouldn't use live view, i'm too used to looking through viewfinder, and 3" screen, as good as it is isn't worth the extra. Also, i suppose the extra megapixels would have been good too, but the long and short of it is i'm still really happy with my 30D :)

Hi folks,

Have just joined this forum and was immediately struck by how helpful you guys are so thought you might be kind enough to help me out with some kit advice...

I've been using a 10D for quite a few years now and although its never done me wrong Im very aware that I need to upgrade and initially was just going to move up to the 20D but after looking around figured for the extra price I may as well go for a 30D.

Now comes the quandry - do I go all the way, bite the bullet, and pay for a 40D - is it that much better considering Im quite happy with my 10D at the moment? Or am i just getting carried away with gear lust?

Any thoughts will be much appreciated...

Welcome to the forum - i'm sure you will get loads of good advice from fellow users.

I've just upgraded from 30d to a 5d - i'v sent you a private message

In my opinion it would be worth going to a 30D if you can find one used, but I don't really feel that for me a 40D is enough of an upgrade.

It IS the better camera, I think that's fair to say, but the massive jump in price over purchasing a used 30D could easily be spent on better glass...or saved and banked for a rainy day.

The 30D is an amazingly good camera and a fair bit faster than your 10D. I'm sure you'd be hugely happy.

Cheers,
James

Thanks for all your responses folks, think I'm going to go down the 30 route.

Will let you see the results soon!

You can get the 40d for £499 now with canon cashback so the 30d is a no brainer now I reckon.

have to say i agree with alby, the 40d is quite cheap at the mo with the cashback, i dont think the 30d would be worth considering if you can stretch to the 40d

I have seen new 30D's go for more than new 40D's too. I personally would go for the 40D new, claim the cashback and enjoy your new kit. You won't need [or feel the need to] upgrade for a while now :)

40D, as stated above around £500 with the cashback, got 1 last week and have to say it is a HUUUUGE improvement over my old 300D.

30Ds have been going for £300-£350 on ebay recently which seems like a complete bargain. If a 10D is currently suiting his needs then the £200 saved would be best off spent on lenses.

30Ds have been going for £300-£350 on ebay recently which seems like a complete bargain. If a 10D is currently suiting his needs then the £200 saved would be best off spent on lenses.

I've been checking out new though which are currently at £539+ which is menthol when you consider the price of the 40D :wacky:

I have just ordered a new 40D Kit (body + 17-85mm IS USM lens) from Kerso, for a great price. If you dont need the lens Im sure he will give you a competitive price on the body only.

I got the 40D BODY ONLY at jessops on a price match, they gave it to me for £595 with the canon cash back makes it £495,
They are great honest when I was used to 300D's and £350D's.

So easy to use and the extras are worth it.

I know you can keep going and get a 5D or even a 1Ds mk 3 but for the money I really do not think you will look back.
PS: they are the dogs bo**ocks with a grip on them and a decent lens.

This is only my opinion.

Regards Steve

Depends what you do to be honest? People say that you can create world class images with any camera, this is true to a point. If some one hands me a disposable and says go shoot some top class indoor basketball shots they would be off their head!! but if they asked me to shoot some good landscapes with a disposable I would say no problem! As long as you have a good lens who cares about the camera!! ;)

Personally I would have the 40D if you were going for any. I have a 20 and 40D and like them both. I find the 30D the most useless update ever as its a 20D with a bigger screen! :shrug: and from what I've heard the files are not as good from a 30D compaired to 20D files! :thumbsdown:

......from what I've heard the files are not as good from a 30D compaired to 20D files! :thumbsdown:
I think time will show that the 20D was just one of those things where everything came together right and it was hard to reproduce again. I've been reading reports from people who have upgraded from 20D to 40D and finding that the images from the 40 just don't quite match up.
It may be that the 40D is closer to the current limits of pixel technology or, more likely as the 30D doesn't seem to match either, that the processing is falling a little short.

It may well be that the 5D's relatively lower pixel density is its strong point and it's hoped that the proposed '5DII' doesn't aim for big numbers just for the sake of it.

Bob

I think time will show that the 20D was just one of those things where everything came together right and it was hard to reproduce again. I've been reading reports from people who have upgraded from 20D to 40D and finding that the images from the 40 just don't quite match up.
It may be that the 40D is closer to the current limits of pixel technology or, more likely as the 30D doesn't seem to match either, that the processing is falling a little short.

It may well be that the 5D's relatively lower pixel density is its strong point and it's hoped that the proposed '5DII' doesn't aim for big numbers just for the sake of it.

Bob

Very true, aswell its getting to the point where 10-12 megapixles are more than enough in terms of blowing up images etc so it will come down to colour reproduction, handling and noise IMO.

Agreed, the 20D still is a FINE camera. I'd always advise people if they don't want to spend the earth, to pick up a 20D over a 400D / 450D. It's a much better camera, in my opinion than Canon's latest low-end offerings.

Cheers,
James

what's this price match? how does it work?:)

Jessops and most other high street shops do a price match !
It means if you can tell them that one of there compeditors are selling the camera cheaper they will then match the price or beat it.

Jessops was £629.99 for the 40D
I found it at another shop for £599.99
Jessops then gave it to me for £595
Then I get £100 back from Canon so overall I think it was a decent deal.

Regards Steve

ive been following the second hand 30D market for a while. good ones going for around £300. . might buy one as a backup camera, as i,m upgrading to the wifes old 30 , now she has a 5D
so she can have a 5 and a 30. i can have my old 350 and a 30.
her 30 is an ace camera, only upgraded to go full frame.

The canon outlet ones seem to be going for around £350+

I just got a 40d as a second body to my 30d, the 30d is very very good at almost everything, but the 40d is much much quicker at focus'ing on moving targets. I do mainly motorsport stuff, this year concentrating on the BSB.

I am getting rid of the 30d though to help fund another 40d as i really want identical twin bodys, as having 2 different types defeats the object really as i still be changing bodies med race, something i want to avoid doing.

Back