Canon 1100D - new kit requirements

Name
Jock
Edit My Images
No
I have a canon 1100D, it appears to be a decent option for a beginner. I have only got the camera & standard 18-55 lens.

I am going to Disney in Florida and was wondering what I should invest in the way of equipment, bearing in mind weight / carry factor. But also wish to progress photography doing family portraits & landscapes, however I am open to trying other photo opportunities as they arise.

Thanking you all in advance for any ideas or suggestions you may offer.

Busta

Sorry, I should have mentioned, that my new set up is as flexible for all photo options, but I am on a limited budget.

A lot will depend on how much you want to carry with you and whether you want to be changing lenses much. I have a holiday planned later this year and am currently looking for an all round lens as i'd prefer to just take the one. I'm currently thinking of the 17-55mm 2.8 or the 15-85mm 3.5-5.6. Can't decide yet whether the bigger aperture or longer range will be more suitable, but from what i've read both have excellent image quality and certainly a good step up from the kit lens.

Another option is to get a couple of primes, i have the 50mm 1.4 and this covers quite a wide range of scenarios, as well as being smaller and lighter than a zoom. IQ is excellent too.

If you're happy with the results of your 18-55 lens then I would suggest getting a Canon 55-250 IS. It is a great little lens, very light and gives brilliant IQ when compared with the price. It gets a lot of good reviews on here and other forums. Alternatively, you could go for an all in one such as an Canon 18-135 IS or 18-200 IS or a 3rd party lens such as the Sigma 18-125 OS or 18-200 OS. Either way you could get away with a single lens and body. The IQ suffers a bit on the longer superzooms, but I got some good photos with a Tamron 28-300 VC and a 550D when I had it.
If you're after a new camera body as well I would suggest a Canon 550D or 600D as both are good performers and quite a step up from the 1100D in terms of features and IQ.

I would also suggest the 55-250. Then just take loads of photos and work out what you like & where your kit limits you before spending more money.

Modbaby & Itchippy,

I appreciate the ideas, I will do more research & look at some reviews for the lens ideas you have suggested. Many thanks

Busta

For the holiday I'd get another battery and a few memory cards.

Depending on how long you'll be away, and whether you're taking some kind of storage device (laptop for example) will determine how may cards to buy, but I'm sure it would be easy enough to get more if needed while there. :shrug:

I have a canon 1100D, it appears to be a decent option for a beginner. I have only got the camera & standard 18-55 lens.

I am going to Disney in Florida and was wondering what I should invest in the way of equipment, bearing in mind weight / carry factor. ....

Busta

Sorry, I should have mentioned, that my new set up is as flexible for all photo options, but I am on a limited budget.

Hi Busta

Another vote for the Canon 55-250IS lens, it's a cracker of a lens for the price and doesn't weigh that much either...

We went to Disney Paris some years ago (I know Florida is a lot bigger) but I would have struggled trying to use a tripod there, partly due to size and it's so busy. I wouldn't take a tripod.

I think the other thing to remember, you need to carry these around and where do you store them if you're going on a ride - I took my body and 2 lenses - I took the body with 1 lens attached and took the shots I wanted, swapping lenses the following day, if there was something I wanted, but couldn't get - not wide enough or too far away...

Photos are great and are fantsatic memories, but it's not much good if you weren't enjoying yourself there, because of all the equipment etc

have a great time (y)

Thanks for all the ideas to date, I appreciate the thoughts & will consider price against "carry-ability".

I'd vote for a 55-250mm and a prime 50mm f1.8. The 55-250 can be had for approx £120-150 2nd hand and the 50mm for £70-80 new. That two lenses and the kit lens will cover almost everything I could think of for Florida (Great Holiday Place!!!).
If you budget allows then a 10-22mm (£450ish 2nd hand).

I have the 55-250 and 50mm. Just want to add the 10-22mm and become good with all the lenses before ever thinking of getting any more.
A good range of lenses for not too much money considering.

Last edited:
Busta Brown said:

I am going to Disney in Florida and was wondering what I should invest in the way of equipment, bearing in mind weight / carry factor. But also wish to progress photography doing family portraits & landscapes, however I am open to trying other photo opportunities as they arise.

Busta

Hi I went to Disneyland Paris for Christmas and I took all my gear with me including the tripod but never used it, never used my 55-250 ether as there was no need for it. the only lens I used was the 18-55 kit lens although I did wish I could go a little wider at times.
What I would do is buy the 15-85 is usm f/3.5-5.6 and that is all u need for Disney, oh and a circular poliriser and an ND filter as it helps alot keeping a nice colour in the sky. Perhaps this won't be every body's advice but I speak from personal experience.

ltchippy said:
Another option is to get a couple of primes, i have the 50mm 1.4 and this covers quite a wide range of scenarios, as well as being smaller and lighter than a zoom. IQ is excellent too.

50mm is far too long for a theme park as I found that even 18mm was still not wide enough in certain situations.

50mm is far too long for a theme park as I found that even 18mm was still not wide enough in certain situations.

My thinking was it would be good for taking pictures of family in the park with a nice out of focus background. only need to be 10ft away or so.
Also, low cost and small in size so not much wasted if it's not required.

steve burnett said:
My thinking was it would be good for taking pictures of family in the park with a nice out of focus background. only need to be 10ft away or so.
Also, low cost and small in size so not much wasted if it's not required.

True.

Back