canon 1100D vs Nikon D3100

Edit My Images
Yes
How good is Canon 1100D compare to Nikon D3100. I am a newbie and wanted to buy a camera but really confused with which one to buy?

They will be very similar. The only difference is that the nikon is missing the focus motor in the body and you will therefore have to buy lenses with the motor built in or manual focus the others. It doesn't affect many lenses.

You are best off going and playing with the cameras in a shop and then deciding which one you like the most. It's all about ergonomics at this price point!

Go and have a hold of them both, see if one appeals more than the other - no good buying something strangers recommend if you can't stand how it feels in your hands. If you don't like it, you won't use it and that's the worst camera to buy.

I've got the D3100 and the focus motor isn't really a factor (unless you want cheaper old lenses) and neither is the bracketing.

Its a great camera and its really easy to change the settings and just go shooting. Use the Fn button on the front for ISO and then use shutter priority or apeture priority and you are good to go.

It does everything I need.

Its down to personal preference, both a re good cameras, but I personally would go for (and did) the D3100 with this deal...

http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product....mm-VR-and-55-300-VR-Twin-Kit-&ProductID=19283

Both lenses have vibration reduction which is a big bonus (jessops model has a cheaper, poorer Tamron lens in the kit).

I looked at Sony, Canon and Nikon. I've used both Canons and Nikons on other peoples camers and personally found my way around the Nikon easier.

The jog wheel is IMO in a better place, the quick selector between single, continuos, timed and quiet is great. The LCD has loads of info for helping start and make sure you have the correct light in the picture

Both cameras are capable of great pictures, its personal preference that only you can decide on.

On specs alone the 3100 outguns the canon - shooting video in 1080p, having a higher ISO, higher resolution and a larger screen. However these specs are fairly meaningless, the image quality will be every bit as good if not better than the Nikon. As a 3100 owner I am very, very impressed by my nieces old 1000D which seems to have better dynamic range or metering or something than my camera. Maybe she's just a better photographer than me.

She may of just played with more settings, ie the metering options, colour balance etc.

Or were you viewing them off camera after they may of been played with?

I've got the D3100 and the focus motor isn't really a factor (unless you want cheaper old lenses) and neither is the bracketing.

The only lens I can see that I would miss is the nikkor 50mm f/1.8

Great little lens, but no AF kills it a bit for ease of use on the lower end bodies.
You do get the excellent nikkor 35mm f/1.8 DX AF-s as compensation though :).

There is a 50mm f/1.4 though isn't there?

For more cash. The point of the 1.8 is that it's super cheap.

I think going with Canon 1100D will be a better choice at least I get nice collections of lenses also bracketing is possible and I am not very fond of full HD video on Nikon D3100. Also found this really nice Canon 1100D vs Nikon D3100

You don't need bracketing.

Really it doesn't matter which, the only thing that should limit your choice between them is lens selection and both canon and nikon cover all the most popular lenses well.
There are some differences in lens selection worth taking into account, like (for example) canon offers an excellent light weight 70-200 f/4L that nikon doesn't offer an equivalent to, but nikon offers a superb 35mm f/1.8 DX which canon doesn't equal.
It's worth having a look at the lens ranges and seeing if there are any where one brand offers a lens you really like the look of that the other brand doesn't offer a good alternative to.

Bracketing is a nice feature for landscape photographers if you do a lot of HDR, it speeds up the process of taking several different exposures, but you can manually replicate it with exposure compensation or shooting in manual, it just takes a little longer.

1100D has some good write ups in different mags. It may be entry level but the specs are very good indeed. At the end of the day, like i have found, it is how the camera feels not pixel bashing etc.

Back