1. mossienet

mossienet

Name:
    Stephen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    A friend needs some help. Being a NIKON user, I'm not sure about Canon meu set up. He's trying to use aperture mode and has set it to Auto ISO. He can't find where to set the SHUTTER SPEED to the minimum he needs for sports. Help please.

2. Nostromo

Nostromo

Name:
    Dominic
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'm pretty sure it's not possible to set a min shutter speed on an entry level Canon camera.

Phil V likes this.
  3. Jannyfox

Jannyfox

Name:
    Jan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Dominic's right. I have a one-better-than-entry-level Canon and I can't either. Probably the best option is what I do for wildlife - use Manual mode, set your chosen (but fixed) ss and aperture and let auto iso take care of the light changes.

4. Phil V

Phil V

Name:
    Phil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    What he said^

The workaround would be manual and set the lens wide open and the required SS. but he’d have no exp comp.

5. PhilH04

PhilH04

Name:
    Phil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Could he not use 'Shutter Priority' along with Auto ISO? Simply select the shutter speed that you need...

mossienet likes this.
  6. mossienet

mossienet

Name:
    Stephen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks everyone. He's been shooting at 1/1000 ISO 1600 and apertures of f16 (sunny day) and I'm sure that some were above that. Just don't have the knowledge to help him. He's going out tonight to a football match. Kit lens, so he can't open too wide f5.6 at the fl he's using. It'll have to be shutter priority. auto ISO and hope then.

7. gert

gert

Edit My Images:
    No
    How did he get on?

mossienet likes this.
  8. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Very probably madness, IMO. I'd be asking him if f16 is really needed and if he can use a wider aperture.

mossienet likes this.
  9. cargo

cargo

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It's good to try this stuff but very hard on the entry stuff. To be honest I've had my camera dslr for about 7 years and always seem to be shooting between f2.8 and f8 at most. Hey but i'm no expert.

f16 is this In England ?

Hope he got some images.

Gaz

10. mossienet

mossienet

Name:
    Stephen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  11. gert

gert

Edit My Images:
    No
    3200 ISO on that camera produces noisy images, I would have shot a bit wider with a slower SS to keep the ISO down. But overall not bad.

12. mossienet

mossienet

Name:
    Stephen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I think that he was probably at the limit with the lens he was using. Advised him to think about primes in future.

gert likes this.