canon 15mm or sigma 15mm?

Edit My Images
No
i can't find anything anywhere on the internet that gives a decent discussion of these two lenses, ive seen that people say the sigma is sharper, but im not taking it for granted. which one is really better? im aware the canon one is like £150 more, but is it really worth it?

Cheers

(y)

I'm afraid I have no knowledge on the Canon, but afriend has the Sigma and it delivers everything i would expect from a fisheye. If i had to make the decision i'd get the Sigma as a blind choice.

One good use for a decent sized Jessops - you can try in-store (then take your custom elsewhere)

i use the canon all the time. the only problem i have is that you cant put a uv/skylight on it.

i use it all the time when doing event photos. never has let me down.

the sigma is also just as good be i think canon has the buid

just for info you cant front-filter the Sigma - I'd be amazed if there is a fish-eye that can be owing to the protruding element needed to create the fisheye effect.

If its not too rude, can I ask why you want a fisheye? The general consensus is that they are a bit of a gimmick that wears off quite quickly.

im a skate photographer quite a bit, so its useful for that. also i had a wide angle before, and you can convert a fisheye into a wide, but not vice versa, so i think it'd be more worthwhile for that.

and yeah, ive concidered going into jessops, but i don't think any of the jessops have both lenses in the same store, which is sort of annoying, i might have to do a bit of ringing around to find out though.

If you're someone who can decide not to use your kit if you think the conditions are bit camera unfriendly, or are not put in a position where you need to go to a shoot and come back with the goods come what may, then the sigma will probably be a good choice.

If you need to shoot come hell or high water, get the canon.

I'm not sure there's too much between Canon and the EX Sigma (which has been imo very close to L build recently). You sure pay a premium for the Canon brand (deserved) but the reality is i've never been disappointed with EX!!

If you're someone who can decide not to use your kit if you think the conditions are bit camera unfriendly, or are not put in a position where you need to go to a shoot and come back with the goods come what may, then the sigma will probably be a good choice.

If you need to shoot come hell or high water, get the canon.

hmm, thats convinced me quite alot, especially as ive already tried the 15mm in a store, and the build quality was amazing.

I'm not sure there's too much between Canon and the EX Sigma (which has been imo very close to L build recently). You sure pay a premium for the Canon brand (deserved) but the reality is i've never been disappointed with EX!!

aye, i agree with this too, my 10-20mm EX was amazingly built.

one deciding factor is that the sigma can focus 5cm closer, which now i think about it, is quite a conciderable amount, especially with how drastic the fisheye effects would be.

Back