Review Canon 17-40mm lens

Edit My Images
No
Hi, I've just bought this lens for my eos 550d body, any feedback about three performance?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using TP Forums

The lens - cracking! Had some really nice pics outa mine

Personally, I hated it - but it wasn't image quality as such, I just didn't get on with the range on a crop body - not very wide to not very long.

Don't exactly think that's the fault of the lens though, rather my expectations!

I sold it and bought the Sigma 17-70 and was much happier with that as most of my shooting seems to hover around 50mm-70mm, confirming it's my range tastes more than any specific problems with the lenses!

I find it's a lovely landscape lens whether used as a true wide angle lens on a full frame camera or a wide (ish) lens on a 1.6 or 1.3 crop.

On a 1.6 crop body the 17-40 focal length is just about OK as a general lens but for 'general' use the f4 can be a bit prohibitive. EFS 17-55 or EF-S 15-85 would be my prefered choice.

For landscapes though it's a big thumbs up. IS isn't an issue as mine is usually on a tripod and it rarely goes anywhere near f4.

I use it on a full frame 5D II - you might have to be careful though, mine is so sharp, I nearly cut myself on it!

Get out there, get some shots and enjoy it (y)

Same here, I got mine when I went from a 40D to 5D2

Went to LLanelli ( sorry to our Welsh bretheron I wasn't any good at countdown ) and took some pictures from a bridge of the river and railway.

They look like you could actually step into the picture. I'd say it's even better than my 24-105L

I used to have the 17-40mm and thought it was an excellent lens with very good image quality. I sold it in favour of the 24-105mm as the upper end of the focal length was too short. On full frame, taking shots at 17mm is simply awesome!

If money was no object I'd have kept the 17-40, no questions asked. :)

Just love mine to bits.:)(y):clap:

will be getting one when my bonus arrives (going ff with a 5dMKII also)
can't wait - these reviews all sound phenomenal....

i have one on my crop body 50D and its stunning, the zoom range isnt as good as it would be on FF but its blisteringly sharp :)

Any one used this for studio work? Haven't a lot of space so with the wide lens, should get more in. Cheers

Schots said:
Any one used this for studio work? Haven't a lot of space so with the wide lens, should get more in. Cheers

The problem with a wide lens for studio work is that it is less flattering.

Depends what you mean by studio work - if you mean portraits, then personally I wouldn't... however, for still life or product shooting, then I've used it regularly, and been very happy with the results - mainly on a crop body (7d primarily) but also on full frame - real full frame - that silver-gelatine stuff, on a EOS-3 ;)

When I shot EKD, I found that most of my shots were down at 24mm on my 24-105 and I was cramped up against a wall. I was considering the 17-40 for this use (On a crop body you see). Would that not be recommended then? Should I just buy a 5D instead? ;) (joking on the 5D :LOL: )

I got this lens when i bought my 50D about 6 months back.

I love it, so sharp, even wide open.

Although just like Moos3h, most of my shots are over the 25mm range towards the 40 end and i do find myself wanting more range quite a bit of the time.

If i could afford it i would keep it and probably get a 70-200 f4 but i think i will be looking to trade up to the 24-105, as this seems like a much better general/walk about lens.

I do use it for product shots though, but then i also find my 50 1.8 to be sharper and more versatile for this (and also dirt cheep).

I do like having the wide, but on the 50d, i think a 10-22 efs will be much more suitable.

I have been looking at this lens also and had the 24-105 on a Canon 30D in the past which i thought was a cracking lens and gave me some good results.

i just got a used copy off Ebay for about 200 bucks off the brand new price. have been using it for a few days on my 600D and i love the sharpness on all my landscapes from f/11 to f/22. don't find it too good for portraits as it still has front to back sharpness even at f/5.6, i do find an issue though with focusing. it struggles to focus even in bright outdoor light, makes the USM mark quite pointless. has anybody ever had problems with focusing on this L lens as well?

has anybody ever had problems with focusing on this L lens as well?

Cant say i have, and i've tried mine on 3 EOS bodies, film, full frame and crop. The focus was lightning fast on all 3 occasions :shrug:

Cant say i have, and i've tried mine on 3 EOS bodies, film, full frame and crop. The focus was lightning fast on all 3 occasions :shrug:

:plus1: - though it has been 3 different film bodies, 2 crop sensor digitals, and a couple of full frame ones...

Just bought this lens & tried it on a 5D MKii , 7D & a 1D mkiv.

Works fine on them all

I had one on my 500d and it was really nice. Of course, not as nice as on a FF, but whatever.

I finally sold all my Canon gear and moved to the OM-D, but the lens was optically very consistent.
I always longed for the 24-105mm though, once I figured out I didn't need the wide angle focal length as much.

Back