Canon 17 55 2.8 IS major lens wobble! Help!

Edit My Images
Yes
Just bought a used 17 55 2.8 from EBay. Taken fewer than 50 shots with it. Lovely image quality but I've got a big problem which seems to have got a lot worse very quickly.

I notice a slight wobble in the viewfinder with the IS engaged and wasn't convinced the IS was doing a great deal. This was a concern but it's getting worse.

I'm now getting a random uncontrolled wobble at intermittent points when the camera is on. Sounds like "de de de de, de de de de" and goes on until I twist barrel or turn off body. Happens with IS on or off.

What's going on here? I'm guessing it ain't normal and anticipating an awkward chat with the seller - who on the plus side seemed a nice bloke.

This is maddening because the lens is otherwise spotless.

Any advice welcomed. Thanks.

Last edited:
Oops didnt realise you had put used lol, - was the 'wobble' mentioned in the description ?, if not then maybe the seller knew and wanted shot of it, if not then you have the right to cancel.

Last edited:
He seems a decent guy (I met him) so I don't think that's the case. Not mentioned in description. He did say it had sat in a cupboard (boxed) for a long time since he went full frame. I'd like to have a rough idea what's wrong before contacting him.

That sounds like faulty IS to me, great lens, but seems to have its fair share of mechanical problems

Sounds serious. If it only happens with IS on then it is an IS issue but if it still happens with IS off it could be the AF motor as well - either way look for a return and refund.

Back