Canon 17-85 IS replacment???

Name
Neil Thompson
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to upgrade my kit lens.

Assuming i can get about £180 for it and add maybe £50-80 what would be a good constant f2.8 replacment available in around £250ish? dont mind buying used either just not sure what to look for.

Ive heard the sigma 24-70 f2.8 is a good job? Any other recommendation?
Main things i will use it for would be indoor potraits where i want the f2.8 but 70mm is too long or for just general use in low light.

I have the wide end covered by a 10-20 and the long end by the 70-200. Im finding i dont use the 17-85 that often but i recently i was doing some indoor stuff and wish i had the option of f2.8 in that range.

Cheers for any options

Neil

sigma worked for me (y)

i believe it is just in your budget at the moment as well.

If you're looking at indoor portraits i'd spend that money on a Canon 50mm F/1.8 prime and a 430EX II flash if you don't already have one

If as you say you don't use the 17-85mm much you'll probably get more use out of the 50mm and the flash

I've just got the sigma from jessops, £234 less £10 (normally £293) discount voucher. I am really pleased with it, nice and sharp and nice image quality.

Totally agree with wack61 about getting a flash if you haven't already. I've also got the canon 50mm 1.8 and can vouch for that too!

Think it depends what you mean by portraits, if your looking for something as an indoors walkabout :)thinking:) -famil snaps and the like, then the sigma will be brilliant. If you're looking to do something more serious type portraits then i'd go for the 50mm. JMO though:)

I have just ordered (on the basis of good reviews on here) the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens at £212.99 from Warehouse Express. This is to replace the Std Canon 18-55 lens so i should see much better results!

A couple of people said they just leave this lens on there camera semi permanantly as it's such a good lens. (y)

hadnt thought of the 50mm tbh could well be a plan, there quite cheap!

Im planning on getting either the 430exII or the Sigma 530 Super in the next week or so just cant decide which?

What got me thinking was that i was doing some shots of my mates pups and would have liked the dof my 70-200 2.8 could give but couldnt get far away enough to use it for all but a couple of shots.
Got a few others asking for the same sort of thing now and friend has just had a baby and is looking pics as well.

I think the zoom may be better as it gives a bit more flexibility?
I have a few old Manual primes i use the odd time (great optically!) but i wouldnt be quick enough at focusing to get reliable shots of 8 mental pups lol.

Might give the 50mm a try if i can pick one up cheap enough.

Sigma seems to be the job then? I hear tokina are very good but they dont seem to come up that often.

Back