Canon 18-135mm VS 18-200mm

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone

Thank you to all of you that helped me in the other thread, I think I’ve made up my mind and I’ll going for a brand new 1000d, my brother in law also has one so when I’m with him we can trade tips and stuff like that. But the main reason is that is within my budget.

Now I need to decide on some glass and I want a all-in-one type of lens to start with and while I understand that those lens come at a cost both price wise and sharpness and they will never be as good as a dedicated lens I also understand that Canon ones are better than the likes of Sigma and Tamron for this particular type of lens.

I read two reviews on both the 18-200mm and the 18-135mm and apparently the 135mm is sharper and a better lens overall but some people disagree and say that 200mm is better, what do you think? Also their difference in zoom is about 4x do you reckon that will make a massive difference on a daily basis? I have a Kodak with 10x optical zoom and I really like that and 10x is closer to the 200mm than to the 135mm.

I would love to see some opinions from owners and if possible could you post pics or links to pics you took with those lenses?

Thanks

I've recently got my hands on an 18-135, its a nice walkabout lens, but its certainly not as sharp as my Tamron 17-50. I'll get some examples up for you in a minute.

IMG_1027 copy.jpg

IMG_1033 copy.jpg

IMG_1055 copy.jpg

IMG_1073 copy.jpg

Its not a lens for pixel peepers but it does give a good range and will focus quite close as well.

Same boat as me. I like the 18-55 IS but want a longer reach.

All of the pictures I took at the Edinburgh fringe and posted on this thread were taken with my 18-200.
And as a blatant plug it's in the for sale section.

Thanks guys.

For what is worth I can't see the lack of sharpness on those pics but I'm a newbie anyway. I tried to find a place that stock them but Jessops didn't have them so I was unable to compare them. Need to go Jacobs

A word of warning on the 18-200 if you are still considering it is that they do suffer from zoom creep. They have a lock to prevent this while carrying but it does annoy me at times.

I had the sigma 18-200 ( canon was not out at the time ) as my first lens and that did well. I also recall seeing it reviewed quite favourably compared to the canon so if you get a chance to have a play with them give that one a go as well. Definitely think you are doing the right thing trying them first. Reviews can be misleading as one will say the canon is the bees knees and another visa versa

point it down and under its own weight it zooms. that's zoom creep.

there was a review in digital camera a few months back of superzooms and I think both the canons came below the sigma and tamron. In fact the sigma 18-250 came out on tops

I would have a look at the 28-135, its a better built lens and sharper, also worth considering the Tamron 18-200 if you want an all in one.

Back