Beginner Canon 18-55 replacment - 18-135 or 17-85 ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Evening guys,

My Canon 18-55 kit lens has lost its autofocus ability, which seems to be a design flaw with Canon.

I am looking for a replacement lens to cover what the 18-55 did, but also a bridge before reaching a changeover point to my 55-250 lens, body is a Canon 550d
Use is mainly as a general lens, with a mixture of subjects being shot, from statics, landscapes and motion shot from out the window of cars ;)

Abit of research has brought up the 17-85 and the 18-135 as possbile lenses.
After some reviews / thoughts from people who may have experince with either lens, or any other lenses that would fit the bill.

Budget is limited, have been looking at some second had ones at the moment.

Cheers
Ed

18-135 over the 17-85 any day of the week. The STM version of the 18-135 is even better. Of course if you are happy to sacrifice length for speed then the Tamron 17-50 non-VC is a great lens, nice and sharp.

I agree with sam, the STM 18-135mm is a really nice lens. had some great shots with mine. a big jump in build quality too from the 18-55

Thanks for the replies, I have been thinking down the right path then.
Is there much difference in the speed of the autofoucs with the difference in the motors?
Possibly just a minimal fraction of a second, but thought it would be worth an ask as keeping focus whilst panning is key

I recently got the 18-135 stm and think it is a cracking lens very good for video if you want that option

The Canon EF-s 15-85mm is a very good lens IMHO.

Thanks for the replies, I have been thinking down the right path then.
Is there much difference in the speed of the autofoucs with the difference in the motors?
Possibly just a minimal fraction of a second, but thought it would be worth an ask as keeping focus whilst panning is key

I've compared the two lenses side by side and the STM version is noticeably faster to autofocus than the original 18-135.

The Canon EF-s 15-85mm is a very good lens IMHO.
This. The 15-85 is an excellent lens, great range for walkabout. I bought one for my sons 600d and was really impressed with it.

I looked at cheaper lenses and they didn't perform as well, didn't regret buying that at all

Last edited:
As above, see if you can stretch to a 15-85, loved mine, great build quality, sharpness and focussing speed / accuracy.

Another vote for the 15-85 lens - it is a really good lens and much better than either the 18-135 or 17-85.

You've got plenty of great lenses to choose from - but make sure you choose the one you want / need. Some very good recommendations above.

Think twice and buy once - last thing you want to do is buy one and then wish you'd got something else.

I started with the 18-135 STM and it was good but knowing what I know now, I'd go for the 15-85 (providing the IQ isn't too different and I don't know since I've never tried the 15-85) because the focal range is more versatile.

The difference between 15mm and 18mm is a lot more than the difference between 85mm and 135mm imo!

Back