Canon 18-55mm IS Kit Lens

Edit My Images
Yes
I read so many posts where people slate the 400D kit lens, but I've seen a few saying the newer lens is a lot better.

I never thought the old 18-55mm was bad, and I really struggle to see a difference on the new 18-55mm...

What do you think of it?

Mine seems ok, and apart from barrel distortion at the wide end the IQ seems ok to me. I would like to replace it with something that provides a bit longer range to provide some overlap with the 55-250, but given I tend to use the 55-250, probably 90% of the time, I'm struggling to justify the expense.

i actually really like the IS kit lens for general photos its really good.

I thought that the 'slating' was generally aimed at it's predecessor, the non-IS version?

I have one of those and it's o . . k. Just not stellar and very flimsy in the hand.

mmm i agree, you can take some real nice shots with it but generally i would rather have a nifty than a standard kit...:D But now i dont have to, got my sigma 17-70 f.28-4.5 through yay

Look forward to seeing the results of that Siggy.. you just beat me to it :D.

I read so many posts where people slate the 400D kit lens, but I've seen a few saying the newer lens is a lot better.

I never thought the old 18-55mm was bad, and I really struggle to see a difference on the new 18-55mm...

What do you think of it?

First there was the original 18-55 then came the 18-55 mkII . Both were pretty poor.
Then came the 18-55 IS which came as a shock to the reviewers world, who couldn't quite believe how well it performed for a "kit lens". and comments like this were cropping up
There were a few moments when I considered not to publish the results due to "political correctness" because to date it was a quite absurd thought that such a cheap, or better "affordable", lens can perform this good and I'm sure that some will not believe the findings even though they're supported by the published field images. Anyway, the resolution capabilities of the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS is nothing short of amazing.
Quote taken from HERE

I had a standard 18-55 with my 300D before I got the 450D and Yeah....the new IS version is allot better.

Look forward to seeing the results of that Siggy.. you just beat me to it :D.

i willed myself to just buy it. Had a little go yesterday and its really sharp. The AF is a little loud but you could also get some decent macro results with it also

Ok so its never going to match an L lens and it doesn't match my Canon 24-85 but for the times I need a wider angle it does the jobas long as you take care and stop down to at least f8.
There is a lot of lens snobbery around but if you dont shoot a lot of wide angle and/or cant afford a "better" lens then the old 18-55 non IS will do a job

Back