Canon 1D mk iv - Repair advice and query

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
While shooting a football match last night, I somehow cracked the bottom display on my beloved 1D mk iv. The camera, and display, still works fine, but I am concerned about the weather-proofing which will presumably be breached now. Does anyone know if these are expensive to replace, or indeed does anyone suggest just putting some tape over it and getting on with it?! I'm reluctant to do the second option, although I suspect it's much cheaper! I've attached a pic of said damage.

On a related note, recently I have very occasionally noticed the shutter appears to "stick" when taking a burst of shots. Also, very occasionally again, during a burst the exposure will be ever so slightly different for what should be a two (or more) identical shots. Does this sound like the shutter is nearing the end of its life?

Lastly, any recommeded places for these things to be mended?

Attachments

• IMG_4588.JPG
    IMG_4588.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 40
I've no idea about fixing it but definitely would tape it in the meantime. Also the exposure thing I had with my mk3 recently although have just upgraded to the mk4.

Canon Elstree, great service, should estimate before repair, might even do fixed price, they do on some lenses.

The cover is just stuck on with double-sided tape and can be prised off with the application of a little gentle heat.

The parts you need are;
CB3-3523 Cover
CB3-3524 Adhesive mount

Bob

As Bob said plus are you using a slow card? The shutter will slow down till the buffer clears. I have had the exposure thing with the 1D3, 4 and X

Thank you to all of you who have replied, most useful!

Bob, that sounds really interesting doing it myself. May I ask where you would buy genuine parts from? Can I buy direct from Canon? Also, what would you class as "gentle heat" in terms of a method to remove the cover?

Sounds like the exposure thing is common, so I'm not as worried about that.

My memory cards are pretty quick, I have never had a buffering issue with them. I'm not quite sure what is going on with that.

Bob, that sounds really interesting doing it myself. May I ask where you would buy genuine parts from? Can I buy direct from Canon? Also, what would you class as "gentle heat" in terms of a method to remove the cover?
Gentle heat?....careful use of a hairdryer as opposed to a blow lamp. The adhesive will slowly give way to a little persuasion as it warms. Lehmann's in Stoke or some other Canon approved suppliers will have the parts or here;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STATUS-DI...Mark-IV-NEW-/121778298937?hash=item1c5a8d6039

Bob

Last edited:
What is the count on your shutter at the moment?

As for the screen its an easy fix providing you can get the part. I use these guys for my parts http://www.cameraspareparts.co.uk but unsure if they have the part you want. The usually reply to emails quickly. You haven't damaged the LCD anyway just the top cover screen as mentioned. Take it to canon if you are close or phone for a price.

Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 01.17.58.png

Does anyone know the part number for the rear LCD cover window for a 1D IV ?

Mine has a light scratch in it, and if the part isn't too expensive I'll replace it myself. I've tried searching, but can only find the part number for the Mark II, but not sure if it is the same or not?

Back