Canon 1D MkIII lens advice

Name
Iain
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

This might have been posted before so apologies if it has.

What are good lenses that people can point me in the direction of for a 1D MkIII that I'm going to be using for wedding photography :)

Thanks in advance

Macca :)

Morning Peter,

Thanks for your reply.
I wasn't sure on a budget as wasn't sure what good lenses would be and didn't want to price myself out

I will have a look at the 24-105mm & the 50mm lenses, thanks [emoji5]

Might get flamed for saying this but if you need to ask this question are you sure you are up to wedding photography?

As to lenses 24 70 mkii and a 70 200 mkii with either a 50 or 35 1.4 would be a good setup and stand you well as you upgrade bodies in the future.

Agree with above, also don't think the mk3 is too hot with high ISO so the faster lens the better

It's a bit difficult to give a recommendation without knowing your budget but I think the consensus would be the Canon 24-105mm L lens.
The 1D Mk III has a 1.3x crop factor, so the field of view will be roughly equivalent to 40-135mm on a full frame camera. I don't think that's wide enough for general use. Unfortunately the 1D series don't accept EF-S lenses so it's not obvious what you could use instead as a 'walkaround' zoom.

Last edited:
The 1D Mk III has a 1.3x crop factor, so the field of view will be roughly equivalent to 40-135mm on a full frame camera. I don't think that's wide enough for general use. Unfortunately the 1D series don't accept EF-S lenses so it's not obvious what you could use instead as a 'walkaround' zoom.for

Well I think it would be quite adequate for general wedding photography since you would get a reasonable wide angle so unless the venue was particularly small I reckon it would do.

Way back in the days of film I regularly used to cover weddings with a 35mm camera and the lens that came with it was 55mm and I rarely had any problems at all.

B1ts, thank you for your advice. I have recently ventured into 1D ownership and wanted to branch out into weddings as I'd only done some fun stuff off my own back with a 40D in the past [emoji106]

I will have a look and do some research on the lenses suggested,

Thanks everyone [emoji5]

Back