Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

OK just fired mine up and that seems to be what it is. To cancel the registered AF point, hold down the <
AFPoints.png
> button, then press the <
comp.jpg
> button.

Hey everyone - is anyone good with wireless transfer over mobile hotspot? With the WFT-E8 transfer over normal wifi works fine. I'm testing via mobile hotspot as an upcoming venue is saying wifi may be spotty. The results are super slow, practically unusable. Any ideas what the issue could be? I'm sending M1 Jpgs.

Last edited:
Hey everyone - is anyone good with wireless transfer over mobile hotspot? With the WFT-E8 transfer over normal wifi works fine. I'm testing via mobile hotspot as an upcoming venue is saying wifi may be spotty. The results are super slow, practically unusable. Any ideas what the issue could be? I'm sending M1 Jpgs.

Dont suppose you have an iPhone your hotspotting from? I did this some time back and the had the 'maximise compatility' ticked on in the personal hotspot settings which slows connect rate down for devices connected to it, if you untick it speeds things up, always found the mobile hotspots are a hit or miss or timeout it seems every so often right pain

Dont suppose you have an iPhone your hotspotting from? I did this some time back and the had the 'maximise compatility' ticked on in the personal hotspot settings which slows connect rate down for devices connected to it, if you untick it speeds things up, always found the mobile hotspots are a hit or miss or timeout it seems every so often right pain
Thanks Joe, yes it's iPhone X, i don't see the maximize compatibility" option in the personal hotspot settings. I've also tried connecting the phone to a travel router and creating a wifi network that way. This also doesn't work with acceptable speed, neither for 1DXM2 nor R5. Fingers crossed the wifi works.

I have a couple of backup plans:
1) connect laptop to the phone, pop the card in the laptop and transfer from there. This is working fine.
2) take my longest ethernet cable to extend from the venue router closer to where I'll be located. No idea if that will be feasible.

Last edited:
Thanks Joe, yes it's iPhone X, i don't see the maximize compatibility" option in the personal hotspot settings. I've also tried connecting the phone to a travel router and creating a wifi network that way. This also doesn't work with acceptable speed, neither for 1DXM2 nor R5. Fingers crossed the wifi works.

I have a couple of backup plans:
1) connect laptop to the phone, pop the card in the laptop and transfer from there. This is working fine.
2) take my longest ethernet cable to extend from the venue router closer to where I'll be located. No idea if that will be feasible.
I would try and check the settings also see if you have ‘Disable Background app refresh’ on or off, makes a difference and you haven’t got iCloud etc backing up on mobile data as if it is when connecting to another device logic would say your bandwidth is going to be well over worked. I’m on the iPhone 12 maybe a new setting that you can’t see who knows. For me it’s under the personal hotspot bit, hope this helps some what, I can feel your pain hopefully they got good wifi!

9E097633-2E13-4DB9-82A2-C578AFE3A526.jpeg

I would try and check the settings also see if you have ‘Disable Background app refresh’ on or off, makes a difference and you haven’t got iCloud etc backing up on mobile data as if it is when connecting to another device logic would say your bandwidth is going to be well over worked. I’m on the iPhone 12 maybe a new setting that you can’t see who knows. For me it’s under the personal hotspot bit, hope this helps some what, I can feel your pain hopefully they got good wifi!

View attachment 327638
thanks Joe, I don't see this option on my phone. fingers crossed!

Shoutout to Gavin on CPS technical support who has been very patient this morning. We made some progress. Switching the FTP connection from active to passive is working much better. It's not perfect as the camera is reporting error messages, but the camera retries until successful and the speed is good.

Update on the ftp connection problem over mobile network - the camera gets an error when transmitting and keeps retrying, in the end about 50% of images failed to send and it kept dropping the connection so I had to keep resetting which was a pain. I gave up and hooked the phone up to my laptop and sent from there during pauses.

Could someone else test sending via ftp over mobile hotspot? CPS locally are brushing me off while at the same time saying they do no testing over mobile phones or mobile routers.

It would be great to know if it's just me or if others have the same problem.

Back