Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

I'm sure another opportunity will be along presently, Martin (not Mike, sorry!)

Oh I am sure of it....

Trying to teach beginners flash to our camera club....

Never an easy thing and bound to drop a clanger somewhere along the line....

NP on the mike thing.. mip isn't exactly helpful LOL

The cheap Yongnuo's that have no HSS demonstrate the curtain/sync as they don't register the shutter speed in anyway, you can buy a new one for £25-30! :) My partner has one and for the money, it works well!

Last edited:
Hope you guys don't mind me adding this here - as I'm subscribed to this thread - thinking about taking my 1dx2 into Thailand next month for the annual Songkran festival (aka a big water pistol fight) - the camera is weatherproof but in no way songkranproof - so wondered if anyone had any experience of waterproofing such a beast without going to the expense of an Ikelite case - I did start a thread in the equipment forum - but thought I'd drop a note here as I'd likely get a lot of 1dx2 owners seeing this here as well:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...ival-thailand-water-pistol-protection.674292/

It’s been fine with a bit of rain. For prolonged heavy rain plastic bag with elastic bands to keep in pace / umbrella. For buckets of water and hoses fired directly at the camera I’d get underwater housing.

I have just had an unexpected windfall, so am seriously considering getting a 1DX2, selling my 5D3 and keeping my 7D2 as a backup (I find the AF on the 7D2 much better than the 5D3, like the crop factor and use it much more). How much of a technical jump up us it from my current two? Are the settings etc similar? I am getting frustrated by out of focus shots in the middle of an in focus series from my 7D2 (much as I love it), and really fancy the low light ability too.

And could someone tell me about CFast cards? What speed would I need? After a quick look on Amazon prices for 64GB seem to range from £44 to £200!

Last edited:
I have just had an unexpected windfall, so am seriously considering getting a 1DX2, selling my 5D3 and keeping my 7D2 as a backup (I find the AF on the 7D2 much better than the 5D3, like the crop factor and use it much more). How much of a technical jump up us it from my current two? Are the settings etc similar? I am getting frustrated by out of focus shots in the middle of an in focus series from my 7D2 (much as I love it), and really fancy the low light ability too.

And could someone tell me about CFast cards? What speed would I need? After a quick look on Amazon prices for 64GB seem to range from £44 to £200!

I would not say the 1dx2 focus system is very much better than the 7d2.
Menu settings are very similar.

I bought a Lexar 64gb CFast for my 1dx2. It is incredible. Almost no buffer limit shooting raw at 14fps.
You'll need a card reader unless you cable the camera to your computer.

Thanks, Soupdragon. What speed card is that? Yes, I know I will need a reader as well. I am surprised to hear that the AF isn't much better than the 7D2 - that isn't the impression I have got from the rest of this thread and elsewhere.

I'm using the Sandisk cfast card that came with the camera and it's 515 Mb/s. Buffer is not an issue. 5-10 second bursts @ 14 FPS no trouble.

Ergonomically the 1DX2 is way better than the 7D2 in my view. The dual DOF buttons and the extra Mfn buttons on the body are great if you want to customise the camera with different set ups to switch quickly from one to another.

In terms of image quality the 1DX2 is streets ahead.

I know some will say it should be better given the cost but, to me, the cost is immaterial if you can afford it. It simply knocks crop sensor bodies like the 7D2 out of the park.

Last edited:
I'm using the Sandisk cfast card that came with the camera and it's 515 Mb/s. Buffer is not an issue. 5-10 bursts @ 14 FPS no trouble.

Ergonomically the 1DX2 is way better than the 7D2 in my view. The dual DOF buttons and the extra Mfn buttons on the body are great if you want to customise the camera with different set ups to switch quickly from one to another.

In terms of image quality the 1DX2 is streets ahead.

I know some will say it should be better given the cost but, to me, the cost is immaterial if you can afford it. It simply knocks crop sensor bodies like the 7D2 out of the park.

I admit I have not had a 7d2 for a while now but I thought the af ability was very similar.
I agree regards the image quality but do miss the extra lens length and using the lens sweet spot all the time.

Thanks all. I actually (with my wonderful husband’s encouragement) clicked buy on it a couple of hours ago, and have a SanDisk CFast card and a reader en route. I am selling my 5D3 and keeping my 7D2 as a back-up, so I will soon be able to do my own comparison of the AF. I am convinced that the 7D2 wouldn’t have captured the pigeon way back at the start of the thread as well as the 1DX2, but I shall see[emoji3][emoji3]

Thanks all. I actually (with my wonderful husband’s encouragement) clicked buy on it a couple of hours ago, and have a SanDisk CFast card and a reader en route. I am selling my 5D3 and keeping my 7D2 as a back-up, so I will soon be able to do my own comparison of the AF. I am convinced that the 7D2 wouldn’t have captured the pigeon way back at the start of the thread as well as the 1DX2, but I shall see[emoji3][emoji3]

Welcome to the club, look forward to seeing your results..

You are going to love it :)

It's going to make your arms ache! ;)

It's going to make your arms ache! ;)

Considering both my current cameras have grips and the 100-400 is my main lens, I doubt it. When I played with one at The Photography Show it seemed a bit smaller than my 5D3 with grip. I could of course be wrong...

I don't have my 5D3 any more but the 1DX2 with the battery fitted is 200g heavier than a 5D4 with a grip and 2 batteries fitted. It's also slightly taller and wider by approx 5 mm.

I don't have my 5D3 any more but the 1DX2 with the battery fitted is 200g heavier than a 5D4 with a grip and 2 batteries fitted. It's also slightly taller and wider by approx 5 mm.

A quick Google reveals that a gripped 5D3 without batteries is “just shy” of the weight of a 1DX2, so they shouldn’t be enough difference for me to notice. Having something large and/or heavy really doesn’t bother me [emoji4]

Last edited:
Well, I bought a new 7d2 yesterday as a method of extending lens reach.
I had forgotten how good they were.

Well, I bought a new 7d2 yesterday as a method of extending lens reach.
I had forgotten how good they were.

I am selling my 5D3 and keeping my 7D2 for exactly that reason, but my much loved 7D2 will step down from its position as main body and become the back-up/stalking birds in good light body.

1DX2 has arrived, just waiting for the battery to charge. Tumty-tum, tumty-tum......

I am selling my 5D3 and keeping my 7D2 for exactly that reason, but my much loved 7D2 will step down from its position as main body and become the back-up/stalking birds in good light body.

1DX2 has arrived, just waiting for the battery to charge. Tumty-tum, tumty-tum......

First battery charge, I feel your pain.
I guess you're itching to fire 14fps.

All,

Just had one of those free 64GB promo Sandisk cards fail. I can't read it in 2 different IDX II's or on 2 different computers.

Seeing if I can get a replacement from Sandisk :)

While looking for a replacement I found these... Cheap or what ?

Cheap :jawdrop:

Anybody ever even heard of them ?

Just WOW! Did a very quick set up and took it with me walking the dog today. I need to fiddle with the set-up to get it spot on as she runs towards me, but otherwise I was blown away by it. As well as trying it on ducks and my dog, a friend spotted me and asked me into his pigeon loft to photography one day old dove chicks, so I got to test out the high ISO as well. I can't believe the photo below was taken at 25,600. OK, it needed a bit of work, and I wouldn't enter a competition with it, but it is entirely usable!

I have never seen so many in focus ducks in flight!
View media item 13118
4000 ISO!
View media item 13119
This I could technically have got with the 7D2, but it was the second frame of a three frame burst at 14fps, so I actually would have missed the moment:
View media item 13117
And the baby doves at 25,600 :-0
View media item 13116

Whats the default picture style STANDARD please?

Think i may ahve changed it in the past.. the `1dx is 3.0.0.0.0.0. but the 1dxII starts at 1 and currently mines at 3.4.4.0.0.0.

It gives a kick to the saturation of the primary colours and adds some shaprening.

It gives a kick to the saturation of the primary colours and adds some shaprening.

haha I know.. but I need to know what the default numbers are when I got it ?

I think you will find that you do use it, I am sure the selected style is used to create the JPG preview (that is also embedded into the RAW file) that is shown on the cameras LCD, also I think if:-

edit/quote, from the web:-

Neutral
uses perceptual rendering, Faithful uses colorimetric rendering.
The main difference will be how out-of-gamut colors are translated into the chosen color space (sRGB or Adobe RGB). A perceptual rendering will adjust all colors to "squish" the scene's color gamut into the chosen color space, while a colorimetric rendering will "chop off" out-of-gamut colors by rendering them as the nearest in-gamut color.

As I thought, see HERE

Last edited:
Neutral uses perceptual rendering, Faithful uses colorimetric rendering. The main difference will be how out-of-gamut colors are translated into the chosen color space (sRGB or Adobe RGB). A perceptual rendering will adjust all colors to "squish" the scene's color gamut into the chosen color space, while a colorimetric rendering will "chop off" out-of-gamut colors by rendering them as the nearest in-gamut color.

Ah, a lot clearer now ... thanks for that.

Ooops! I have just bought a 1DX2. Canon 100-400mm L II and 500mm F/4L II are my most commonly used lenses, with and without Extenders.

I only shoot wildlife and started off with a 70D about 4 years ago and then a 7D2 3 years ago and experienced the importance of a faster frame rate. Than last summer I added a 5D4 which was my first digital full-frame. I love the 5D4 but not its slow 7fps. At the time of buying the 5D4 I seriously considered the 1DX2 but felt that the extra price difference would not be worth it. However, having now experienced full-frame quality and being tempted by Wex/Canon's £430 bonus trade-in offer for my 5D4, I decided to take the plunge.

I spent yesterday setting it up to my liking but have stayed away from changing the AF Case defaults! I grabbed a couple of seagull-flying-in-very-grey-sky shots early yesterday evening and was immediately blown away by the hit rate and that wasn't even at 14fps (my error in not setting 'H' yet).

I have a question please: I set my 5D4 to 'Fine Detail' rather than the default 'Standard' - I was happy with that but am I compromising anything by setting 'Fine Detail' on the 1DX2?

I exclusively shoot RAW and have set sRGB and AWB as defaults. I post-process in Capture One, not Lightroom.

I am a serious amateur and justify my spending of so much money by believing that I may realise more of my potential and of course using high quality gear adds to my enjoyment. 14fps and better (I think) AF tracking than either the 7D2 or 5D4 are the main advantages. I will still use my 7D2 but for its extra reach. I might miss the 30mpx resolution of the 5D4 sometimes but I don't print my images.

I have a question please: I set my 5D4 to 'Fine Detail' rather than the default 'Standard' - I was happy with that but am I compromising anything by setting 'Fine Detail' on the 1DX2?

I exclusively shoot RAW and have set sRGB and AWB as defaults. I post-process in Capture One, not Lightroom.

The "fine detail" setting affects how the camera processes jpegs and only sets a flag in the raw file data (which your PP software can read or ignore).

Bob

The "fine detail" setting affects how the camera processes jpegs and only sets a flag in the raw file data (which your PP software can read or ignore).

Bob

....Cheers, Bob!

Then as I never shoot JPEG and I exclusively shoot RAW, I think I'll tryout setting to 'Neutral'.

I notice that 'Faithful' and 'Neutral' have the same '0,2,2,0,0,0' default detailed settings.

Last edited:
I notice that 'Faithful' and 'Neutral' have the same '0,2,2,0,0,0' default detailed settings.
I'm not sure why that would be as the descriptions of the two styles does imply a different rendering to the jpeg.

Back