Canon 1D X Mk III Owners Thread

Refreshing to see that they've abandonned the pixel race for this one.

Refreshing to see that they've abandonned the pixel race for this one.

...however for me the only possible advantage over the mk2 might be the af improvement, but really the mk2 is no slouch in that department!!

I often end up shooting at iso 51200 and it would be good if they've used any sensor tech' improvements to clean that up in lieu of pixel cramming.

I like the big fat AF-on button. Certainly on my mkI I've always felt the AF-on button too small.

To be honest, I’m a little disappointed they’ve kept at 20mp.. I just hope it has a true silent shutter mode.

I'd agree, Jason, but I just can't see a mirror slapper ever being silent unless you have a huge sacrifice in FPS, unfortunately.

That I think will be the domain of the mirrorless boys.

Video specs look good, could be tempted to upgrade.

I like the big fat AF-on button. Certainly on my mkI I've always felt the AF-on button too small.
It looks good I agree - however .... I’d be concerned with my palm hitting the other button by accident. It happens occasionally on my gripped d810 and D3s both of which have a larger af-on button than my 1d body.

Official spec out tomorrow......

I hope they sort out the oil splatter general gunk thrown at the sensor problem that both the mk1 and mk2 suffered from.

I’d prefer a mirrorless version. I do a mix of photos and filming and added an R a couple of months ago and very happy with that. As always it’s going to depend on which features are critical for you whether it’s worth upgrading.

I’d prefer a mirrorless version. I do a mix of photos and filming and added an R a couple of months ago and very happy with that. As always it’s going to depend on which features are critical for you whether it’s worth upgrading.

That'll certainly come, Tim, but so far for sports and wildlife, the af isn't good enough yet in anything that's available with Canon......but the critical word is "yet".......

I often end up shooting at iso 51200 and it would be good if they've used any sensor tech' improvements to clean that up in lieu of pixel cramming.

Looking at the spec this is the ONLY thing that would interest me... How many stops better off I would be...... I was hoping for that and as a prime long lens user more pixels.....

As a sports shooter.. and non video user.... the only improvement for me is the higher ISO capabilities and that needs to be good for about £3k or £4k outlay (depending on what I sell as I have 2 mk1's and a mk2 so summat would have to go)

I didn't see enough difference in the mk2 spec when that came out.. I got canon to loan me one for 10 days... the extra stop and more importantly the suprise of anti flicker (much needed) sold it to me........... I will probably go for a mkIII loan before I decide

I didn't see enough difference in the mk2 spec when that came out.. I got canon to loan me one for 10 days... the extra stop and more importantly the suprise of anti flicker (much needed) sold it to me........... I will probably go for a mkIII loan before I decide

That’s a good idea.

That'll certainly come, Tim, but so far for sports and wildlife, the af isn't good enough yet in anything that's available with Canon......but the critical word is "yet".......

I’ll be comparing the R vs 1DXM2 for sports soon and report back. After the 1.4 firmware upgrade for the R, face and eye tracking is quite something, clearly frame rate is way slower.

I've been told that they will be available to order tomorrow lunchtime

anybody up for a sweepstake on the price?

Dave

Probably need to adjust for UK VAT on that. I’ll go for 5950 GBP.

$6.5K in U.S. or £6.5K ($8.5K equivalent) in U.K. Jeez.
Actually the US price is without tax, the UK price includes 20% VAT so they are actually pretty much identical.

Bit of a concern, after a quick look at the video, that I'd accidentally alter the AF point, not sure how useful that will be but only a test will tell.

Good to see an (expected) iso improvement, however.

Worth an upgrade?......hmmm, have to try it first!!

George.

Best thing about this is that it should naturally drop the price of the mk2 :LOL:

Yes but with a price point up by almost £1K the second hand mk 2 market might just hold up quite well!!!!...at least I hope so!!

£6,499.00 ouch indeed, shipping on the 13th next month though, a bit quicker than I thought. Not for me, just not enough over the 1DXII for now but will watch plenty reviews.

I know it’s aimed at Pro’s but it’s just too expensive for the rest of us for what it offers and doesn’t offer i.e. no IBIS, no flip screen, no cloud file support.

Also, love the intro to the DP Review preview if it :p

View: https://youtu.be/u2ccu7ArwBA

Last edited:
Loving the look of that focus point mover

If that appears on the new EOS R I'll be a happy bunny

Dave

CanonRumours posted this promo video.

Edit: found...

Last edited:
Back