Canon 1D X Mk III Owners Thread

^^^hhmmm It’s a very cool video, but I’m not seeing anything new / ground breaking from that camera - aside from the awesome speed through the view finder - wow!
I think we’ve got to the point that in the hands of an experienced pro - we’re accustom to spectacular images from cameras dating back a fair few years now.
I think with the introduction of mirrorless and the wealth of tech that comes with it- eye af especially - we’re essentially making spectacular images more accessible.

I for one think that’s great! However does mean that the ‘technical’ pros as it were must work hard to bring us more imaginative and creative perspectives of the story - and they’re equipped with the cameras to capture them when they find them.

A9 was doing 20fps through the viewfinder in 2017... Blackout free.
and 99 percent af cover.

why cant canon at least spread the af points to the edge?

edit: they harp on how you csn ue the af selector as a back button focus too...

You could do that already on many other cameras since 2014...

Last edited:
and 99 percent af cover.

why cant canon at least spread the af points to the edge?

edit: they harp on how you csn ue the af selector as a back button focus too...

You could do that already on many other cameras since 2014...

My concern about BBF (which I've been using for many years) is that when I use the button for bbf I could inadvertently change the focus point.

Will have to wait till I get a play before deciding if it's worth the upgrade, it's a lot of dosh to upgrade 2 bodies.

George.

Any reason why they can't make it bigger?
I think it would be difficult to achieve, The body would need to be larger to cope with a bigger mirror box and then you'd run into problems with an SLR's typical register distance of 44-45mm.

I think I am going to get my head chewed of Here ? But how many buy the 1dx for stills or video and was it a primary still camera or video Camera as it seems to me that its being more video technology put into it than still ? every one that is in my photography circle never use the video side of it just stills and thats making it a expensive camera at £6500

I think I am going to get my head chewed of Here ? But how many buy the 1dx for stills or video and was it a primary still camera or video Camera as it seems to me that its being more video technology put into it than still ? every one that is in my photography circle never use the video side of it just stills and thats making it a expensive camera at £6500

I don't use mine for video. Ive tried but I'm not really that into video, I bought mine for stills only. My 1DXII has been a tank and been super reliable.

- I'm a new convert to the 1DXii Kev, and use it exclusively for stills - it meets all my needs for birds-in-flight photography with great AF tracking.

Russ

I for one do need both stills&video from my DSLR - in the last few years many of my clients (sports) do require both from me.
Stills from the games/action.
Video from pre-game, post-game, interviews, training, etc.
So video capabilities of the DSLR do have some bearing for my choice of camera - I do also have video camera for certain things.
But sometimes it is not possible to carry all the equipment, plus the easy switch from still to video... I can quickly do the pre/post game stuff on my DSLR and then heading to edit them..
Still, the price tag of 6500 ... am going to have to chew over this a little before making up my mind....

I use the M2 for video too and the proportion of video vs stills is increasing. Full HD at 120 FPS for slow motion is very good. Color matching with other cameras shooting in CLog can be tricky even with a color chart. However at this point I think not worth the upgrade. Given the proportion of video probably better, if anything, to go into the cine line, c200 is about the same price.

I watched a couple of videos last night promoting the new mk III and to be honest.. they put me off :(

The only real important thing for me is the extra one stop and thats not worth the money.....

The video was promoting the new HIF file format which means me upgrading my software.. I would also need an extra card reader and extra fast cf card (I already have one but would need two for working away.. I use JPG working on site and have the fast cf at home.. would need one for each)

Video is no use to me .. They where also promoting the AF face recognition I ahvent even used much with the mkII .. But all the demos where on a race track and one face.. what happenes when you ahve a few faces like rugby or football.. Also in low light which effect face recognition on the mkII

Light up buttons... aww come on.. who has to turn there camera upwards to see which button they are pressing.. pretty sure we can find them with eyes shut

AF is fast and good on my mk1s and my mk 2 so cant see that being a deal breaker either

All in all.. £6.5k and the only real benefit fo me personally and the work I do.. is one stop better iso .... which I would love to have.. but even with a trade in would cost me £4.5k

Its pretty much a NO from me :(

Pretty much what I'm thinking, Tony and unless I'm mistaken it's a different card reader from the CFast we have for the mk2..........need to check.

OK looks like the CFExpress is the same form as the XQD (as used by Nikon) so it's indeed another card reader!!

I had initially said to my local shop that I’d have one, but when the official specs were released he messaged me and said did I still want one. I said NO.. I’ll stick to my mkii’s for now

I'm also a no - not only is it about £4k to change over - by the time I also change over the memory cards and reader - it's going to cost an arm and a leg - so for the moment I'm staying as I am. Those CF Express cards are not cheap.

I see some benefit for video users but I'd be taking a fair hit on two bodies and only getting a 1 stop iso improvement for 8-10 occasions/year. I've no doubt that they've enhanced the AF but my usage doesn't challenge the current setup (nor the previous version). I'm going to sit this one out for a change.

Perhaps I should change the name to the "potential owner" thread until we know if there's going to be any takers!!

I Was thinking of having one as I was wanting to go over to a full frame but I find it to be to expensive at 6500 plus the price of the cards and reader its out of the hands of most of the amateur photographers and I think it will be mostly be the professional Photographers who sell their work that Purchase it ?

Wouldn't going dual uhs 2 be better and cheaper?
'Cheaper' certainly but CFExpress is 10x faster so it's unlikely to be classed as 'better'. With CFExpress you'll be able to shoot at 16fps for over 1 minute before having to wait just 2 seconds to do it all over again.

'Cheaper' certainly but CFExpress is 10x faster so it's unlikely to be classed as 'better'. With CFExpress you'll be able to shoot at 16fps for over 1 minute before having to wait just 2 seconds to do it all over again.
What about uhs 3?

I wonder how many people might use this feature?

960 shots and then you'd miss 2 secs!!!!!!!! then another 960!!!!!! hmmmmm

CF Express is still 5x faster.
Ahh ok

Do many pros shoot for more than 1min?

I am a amatur up and coming sports shooter myself and use the A9

I don't max out the buffer on it much but would love if the buffer clearance was twice as fast

Ahh ok

Do many pros shoot for more than 1min?
It's doubtful so I expect that they'll never be in the situation where, due to the PCI architecture of the CF Express cards, they'll miss a shot during buffer clearance.

Have you ever hit the buffer with your mk2 Bob?
I used to sometimes on the mk1 but never on the mk2.

Have you ever hit the buffer with your mk2 Bob?
I used to sometimes on the mk1 but never on the mk2.
Never.....a typical burst for me is 3 shots and very occasionally 7 or 8 if it gets frantic. I also limit the FPS to 8 or 10 depending whether it's women's or men's football.

My local CPS dealer sent me the pre-order info an hour ago. 7299 Euros (£6240) with 64Gb card and reader and 3 years warranty

Seems to me that the real potential improvements for still photographers is 1 stop, and possibly an improved AF system, is that worth £4K +? Not for me I don’t think.

Seems to me that the real potential improvements for still photographers is 1 stop......
They seem to find 'a stop' with each iteration but have also dumped in more pixels which hinted that they could have found more than 1 stop. This time there's no more pixels but still only 1 stop.....makes you wonder if the tech is stalling and this is simply a mid-life update akin to the 1DMkII/1DMkIIn

Here's an interesting chat with some Canon ambassadors

https://www.canonbody.com/canon-europe-canon-ambassadors-talk-with-richard-walch-marina-cano-wanda-martin-eddie-keogh-on-the-eos-1d-x-mark-iii/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+CanonBody+(CanonBody+Latest+For+the+EOS+Professional)

As far as I remember we all decided that the face recognition feature on the mk2 wasn't much good, perhaps they've improved on that with the "deep learning" that the mk 3 is supposed to have.

It'll be interesting to get some unbiased views on this.

George.

All the examples I saw are of one person in the picture.. no explanation how it works with multiples as in field sports...... Also...even if it worked.. not sure how much I would want to use it....or should i say need to use it?

I think Eddie Keogh showed one where people were moving across the subject and it held focus on the subject, the question, Tony, is whether it does that all the time.

Back