Canon 1D X Mk III Owners Thread

You might be right Russ I think its to pricey For the normal enthusiast ?

Well I ahve upgraded with every model from the 10d.... then at 1d I started using two bodies ...Now have two 1dx and one 1dxII The business pays for them...... But what you get for the MKIII as a photogrpaher and not a video person.. 6.5k for a one stop improvement :( First time ever I wont be upgrading...

wex now advertising at 6.499
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-iii-digital-slr-camera-body-1727870/

Well I ahve upgraded with every model from the 10d.... then at 1d I started using two bodies ...Now have two 1dx and one 1dxII The business pays for them...... But what you get for the MKIII as a photogrpaher and not a video person.. 6.5k for a one stop improvement :( First time ever I wont be upgrading...

wex now advertising at 6.499
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-iii-digital-slr-camera-body-1727870/
The biggest issue imo is that Canon has dedicated its resources to rf, 6.5k for a camera that likely won't see any new lenses, yeah right.

The biggest issue imo is that Canon has dedicated its resources to rf, 6.5k for a camera that likely won't see any new lenses, yeah right.

Which lenses are Canon lacking? For its target market, the lenses available, (short to long telephotos), are pretty superlative. And the rest of the range is pretty comprehensive.

Regards....

Which lenses are Canon lacking? For its target market, the lenses available, (short to long telephotos), are pretty superlative. And the rest of the range is pretty comprehensive.

Regards....

Did I say they are lacking at the moment? Things move on and for a company to announce that they are basically dropping R&D for EF, well that should concern someone spending 6.5k on a body. Basically propping up the used market for a dead system at great cost.

Last edited:
Did I say they are lacking at the moment? Things move on and for a company to announce that they are basically dropping R&D for EF, well that should concern someone spending 6.5k on a body. Basically propping up the used market for a dead system at great cost.

You said that it was likely that they wouldn't see any new lenses. That implies you think the range is lacking, in some way, at the moment. The camera will be bought by people who have a use for it right now. If the lenses that someone needs are available at the moment, and they are, why care if no new lenses are made?

Regards....

Last edited:
You said that it was likely that they wouldn't see any new lenses. That implies you think the range is lacking, in some way, at the moment. The camera will be bought by people who have a use for it right now. If the lenses that someone needs are available at the moment, and they are, why care?

Regards....

Hardly, it implies exactly what I said. When people invest that kind of money they expect the best for a good few years (some may not), if others develop better (and Canon doesn't react with a lens in that mount), which others will, at lower cost, that's a bit of a slap in the face. Will you be buying?

Last edited:
Hardly, it implies exactly what I said. When people invest that kind of money they expect the best for a good few years (some may not), if others develop better (and Canon doesn't react with a lens in that mount), which others will, at lower cost, that's a bit of a slap in the face. Will you be buying?

And people will be getting the best for a few years. The big whites are pretty much best in class. I have an original 300mm F2.8L that is 25 or so years old. It is still unbelievably sharp. The newer ones are even better and have IS.

If I had a need for its capabilities I would buy one in a heartbeat. I had a 1D3 and a 1Ds3 so not averse to buying them. I moved away from action stuff and prefer more sedate stuff like studio and landscape these days. I still sometimes consider buying a 1Dx2 just for the sake of having one though.

Regards...

And people will be getting the best for a few years. The big whites are pretty much best in class. I have an original 300mm F2.8L that is 25 or so years old. It is still unbelievably sharp. The newer ones are even better and have IS.

If I had a need for its capabilities I would buy one in a heartbeat. I had a 1D3 and a 1Ds3 so not averse to buying them. I moved away from action stuff and prefer more sedate stuff like studio and landscape these days. I still sometimes consider buying a 1Dx2 just for the sake of having one though.

Regards...
Exactly, and the newer RFs will be even better, and so will Sonikons. Why would anyone buy into a self proclaimed dead system for 6.5k. Better off just keeping the 1dx2s. Going around in circles here.

Last edited:
Exactly, and the newer RFs will be even better, and so will Sonikons. .....
It'd be quite compromising to design a 300+mm telephoto that put the rearmost element 20-30mm from the sensor and 60-70mm would be the norm. This means that the optical formula would be unchanged between the two mounts and the 'RF' version would likely be the same as the 'EF' version with an additional 24mm on the end of the barrel.

It'd be quite compromising to design a 300+mm telephoto that put the rearmost element 20-30mm from the sensor and 60-70mm would be the norm. This means that the optical formula would be unchanged between the two mounts and the 'RF' version would likely be the same as the 'EF' version with an additional 24mm on the end of the barrel.
Isn't that a bit like saying Sonys 70-200 gm is no better than the A mount version? Or any other E mount prime with the same FL as the A mount version.

Last edited:
Isn't that a bit like saying Sonys 70-200 gm is no better than the A mount version? Or any other E mount prime with the same FL as the A mount version.
No, it's saying that a "better" RF mount super-telephoto could be made with an EF mount without any changes other than a shorter rear end.

No, it's saying that a "better" RF mount super-telephoto could be made with an EF mount without any changes other than a shorter rear end.

They could do that I guess, like Sigma does for Sony E mount or perhaps they would want to offer improved IQ.

They could do that I guess, like Sigma does for Sony E mount or perhaps they would want to offer improved IQ.
It was quite common in the 50's and 60's, Lens manufacturers would make the basic lens with a series of optional rear ends that catered for different mounts and register distances, I have Meyer Gorlitz and Heinz Kilfitt lenses with adapters for Pentacon Six medium format and M42 35mm.

It was quite common in the 50's and 60's, Lens manufacturers would make the basic lens with a series of optional rear ends that catered for different mounts and register distances, I have Meyer Gorlitz and Heinz Kilfitt lenses with adapters for Pentacon Six medium format and M42 35mm.

Wasnt there also Tamron adaptall?

Well today is supposed to be the release day?....

The 10% code DISC10 works on this at Mifsuds Making an very cheap £5849!

Last edited:
Wonder how many the've sold....
I do think they'll sell in reasonable numbers - but maybe not at the rate the original 1dx and 1dx2's sold at. There will be people that will have 1dx2's that are due for replacement, a few with a good disposable income that won't worry about the cost, there's certainly a market, but I do think at the price point it's just pushed a little bit too far for what it offers for some 1dx/1dx2 owners (myself included). (Although the 'it's too expensive' argument does tend to come out whenever something top-end is launched).

Well, I have a 1dx2 and I won't be upgrading as there are no new developments coming for EF lenses. It really is a pro-only camera now, I think. And maybe just the ones [if there are any] that don't have to buy their own kit.

I do think they'll sell in reasonable numbers - but maybe not at the rate the original 1dx and 1dx2's sold at. There will be people that will have 1dx2's that are due for replacement, a few with a good disposable income that won't worry about the cost, there's certainly a market, but I do think at the price point it's just pushed a little bit too far for what it offers for some 1dx/1dx2 owners (myself included). (Although the 'it's too expensive' argument does tend to come out whenever something top-end is launched).

It's interesting that no one on the forum has ordered one, as far as I can see so far...or is keeping very quiet!!

I can't remember this happening with any other new body release, let alone a new one series!

George

As someone has followed / bought Canon professional Gear since the Eos 1D first appeared nearly 20 years ago, I think I have heard and said myself: ‘Canon‘s gone too far here, too expensive, few will buy it‘. Yet Canon‘s financials still hold up well as does their market share. They have very smart marketing people who study price points etc. Sure the R development is a possible cloud over the latest 1dx, but the R&D bucks won’t be lost as it is normally fed into lesser spec cameras like the 90d etc further down the line. I suspect there are enough pros and wealthy Canon fans to buy these in significant enough numbers to cover the costs and more.

Last edited:
Does anybody know the ratio of sales to pro's versus enthusiasts when it comes to the flagship body?

I would love to know how many PJ there are in the world, and how long a pro body lasts? I bet Canon know and have calculated to the cents/click what their revenue and profit is and will be from this sector In coming years. It would usually be a number that then feeds to product development.

As my American cousins would say, are any sales to amateur market just gravy?

Although there is good chance I could be hopelessly wrong on this.

Many of these bodies get bought by the actual ad agency and not necessarily by the pro photographer themselves

I can't think of a sports agency (no other type of agency would go for these bodies) that supplies new gear to photographers.... NOT saying there isn't.. But not heard of this........... When i started even the local newspaper photograhers didnt own ther own gear... but nowerdays no ...

I watched a vid of a sports photographer who works in the US for an agency [name escapes me] that will send a team of 6 to cover an event; this guy was shooting from the rafters but at no time did he mention his kit.

It's interesting that no one on the forum has ordered one, as far as I can see so far...or is keeping very quiet!!

I can't remember this happening with any other new body release, let alone a new one series!

George

George,I was actually going to ask if anyone can recollect if this has ever happened before.but you have beat me to it . Cheers as always:) Logically and personally I think there is more going on here than just pricing. to me more and more folks are moving away from Ff to 4/3 and mirrorless. This may or may not apply to professionals but I think the reason is more to do with technological advances in other spheres (weight) rather than the price point cannon have set.

George the folks that are not pros that use these cameras say for wildlife like me tend to be older. They are a very expensive item when new and very few of us have that type of money as youngsters. Simply as we get older weight becomes a bigger and bigger issue. With the march forwards of technology reach is becoming available in ever lighter packages. As a layman I sort of wondered if this might happen that the 1DXiii might not get the usual pickup. I have nowt to base this on bar watching, and reading the fora.

For me I wouldn't have bought this new generation of 1Dx anyway bar a lottery win or such like. The 1DXii is such a fabulous camera any spare money I have would be better spent else where . But I'm not surprised by this at all. I know we are only a small microcosm of the image making world but I'd be very surprised if this wasn't playing out elsewhere with folks not upgrading to the DX mark iii like they have done previously with other 1series incarnates.

No susbstance just thoughts here !! A one series body has always been expensive there always seems to be a price drop after the initial release where more folks upgrade but for me the mirrorless systems like oly or sony are having an impact especially to older folks whom shoot wildlife. If one is set on staying within canon, then again I think folks are sort of" sitting on the fence" waiting for some form of 1dxr, I've no idea what percentage of image makers whom use 1 series are wildlife enthusiats as opposed other enthusiasts or pro's like Bob has mentioned but I'd lay a bet weight and mirrorless and making folks cautious to spend .

As I say layman talking but it really feels like we are at some form of pivital point in digi camera design Surely there is more going on here than just the price tag??

cheers

stu

....but I'd lay a bet weight and mirrorless and making folks cautious to spend .
I read about the weight savings with mirrorless bodies and find it somewhat amusing that 700-800 grams difference is an issue when it seems that 2/3 of the population have more weight than a 1Dx and 600/4 permanently strapped around their midriff. If I was aiming to carry less weight around then I know where I would start.

When you have a rotator cuff problem it is an issue and the size of a person's waist has nothing to do with that.

:LOL:Bob if I loose any weight I'll blow away. .........,

Back