Canon 1D X Mk III Owners Thread

As filming is becoming a bigger part for me I’ve gone for the C200 rather than the version 3.

Interesting. I couldn't hold it away from my body in that way as my shoulder would revolt. I noticed he was using the mk 3 70-200.

^^^ I would hope a camera costing £6.5k made specially for action/sports photography would have good AF :p

Interesting, Pete, you're the first as far as I know!!

Which body have you come from?.....if it's a mk 2 I'd love to know if you find the AF a noticeable improvement!!

George.

Do we trust them?....not a company I know!
Edit...just had a look, they're a grey importer, but I'm not starting THAT discussion again!!!!

Last edited:
Well got mine last Saturday and it is an impressive bit of kit but as people say for that price it should/wants to be. Weather has not been kind but managed to get out with it on Monday.
This Heron was taken with the 600mm with 2x attached in Manual iso800 f8 1/1250 sec on a Tripod.

View attachment 269335
Pete, did the camera come with one card or 2?

I've just had an interesting conversation with one of the sales staff at WEX. I was enquiring how long he estimated the wait time to be for stock of the new 1dx mk111 and he told me that it was a tricky one as they were being delayed by the virus in China! Presumably some of the components used in the manufacture of them must be supplied from there. They have a long(ish) back order list so a wait of 6 weeks or more would not be unusual. Of course this could all change but presumably all UK stockists are in the same position. No doubt this will affect the roll out of the R5 as well. In a way this could be good for me as it will give me time to really think if I want to spend £6,5K plus another couple of hundred for a second card!

I've just had an interesting conversation with one of the sales staff at WEX. I was enquiring how long he estimated the wait time to be for stock of the new 1dx mk111 and he told me that it was a tricky one as they were being delayed by the virus in China! Presumably some of the components used in the manufacture of them must be supplied from there. They have a long(ish) back order list so a wait of 6 weeks or more would not be unusual. Of course this could all change but presumably all UK stockists are in the same position. No doubt this will affect the roll out of the R5 as well. In a way this could be good for me as it willgive me time to really think if I want to spend £6,5K plus another couple of hundred for a second card!
More thinking time is always a good thing, unless you have a big deadline coming up, like the pro sports togs do with the Olympics. There's a couple of lenses I would prefer to have for the next body I buy - but that might be mirrorless so I am stuck trying to decide whether to wait for the R5. Of course, the 1DX2 is no slouch. 1st world problem.

I am buying all new kit this year that include lenses , and I am not sure whether to invest in the RF system with the R5 or the EF system with the 1DXMK3 , I like the IDX MK3 but think the R range mirrorless is the way forward any suggestions , I want to start my own wedding and portrait business this year but where I live there is a lot of coastal wildlife , which I would like to shot on a hobby side of the camera .

Last edited:
I am buying all new kit this year that include lenses , and I am not sure whether to invest in the RF system with the R5 or the EF system with the 1DXMK3 , I like the IDX MK3 but think the R range mirrorless is the way forward any suggestions , I want to start my own wedding and portrait business this year but where I live there is a lot of coastal wildlife , which I would like to shot on a hobby side of the camera .

I don’t think you would go wrong with either. The future is RF so if your starting it makes sense to go that route. Also if you’re starting check out Sony and the other options to make sure Canon is the best for you.

I don’t think you would go wrong with either. The future is RF so if your starting it makes sense to go that route. Also if you’re starting check out Sony and the other options to make sure Canon is the best for you.
I am not really starting out I have a canon RP with 24-105 F4 EF 4L lens , so at this stage I can go either way , If I trade the RP in against the 1DX MK3 , I can get it for £5000 which is very tempting , but I do like R road map that is appearing and RF lenses , as you say mirrorless is the future .

I am not really starting out I have a canon RP with 24-105 F4 EF 4L lens , so at this stage I can go either way , If I trade the RP in against the 1DX MK3 , I can get it for £5000 which is very tempting , but I do like R road map that is appearing and RF lenses , as you say mirrorless is the future .

With one body and one lens you have all options open. With 20+ lens and 4+ bodies I’m quite locked in. RP to 1DX3 would be quite a jump :) it took me about six years to move up the model range.

I note there is at least one unhappy YouTuber describing what he believes to be the infamous 1 DX Mk II ‘oil spatter’ problem on his new 1DX Mk III.

Given that it was a known issue on the II, one can understand the disappointment on finding on a brand new III, albeit this is a single sample and has not been reported by any of the other reviewers, Canon Ambassadors, etc.

Unfortunate to say the least.

I note there is at least one unhappy YouTuber describing what he believes to be the infamous 1 DX Mk II ‘oil spatter’ problem on his new 1DX Mk III.

Given that it was a known issue on the II, one can understand the disappointment on finding on a brand new III, albeit this is a single sample and has not been reported by any of the other reviewers, Canon Ambassadors, etc.

Unfortunate to say the least.
I was waiting to see whether oil spatter would come up as an issue on the 1dx3 - as it did on both my 1dx and 1dx2 - if it is still an issue as this person has found - I'll certainly not be buying one (not that I was going to anyway due to it being a bit overpriced) - maybe the mirrorless R5 will suit me better once that's out.

I was waiting to see whether oil spatter would come up as an issue on the 1dx3 - as it did on both my 1dx and 1dx2 - if it is still an issue as this person has found - I'll certainly not be buying one (not that I was going to anyway due to it being a bit overpriced) - maybe the mirrorless R5 will suit me better once that's out.

I don't have any oil issue on my ex 1Dx2 ... but then I won't be getting this 1Dx3 either as the R5 looks more promising to me.

A few on the other forums I use are reporting the same issues. As well as locking up and needing to remove battery and turn on again.

Just thinking... So glad I didn't buy one now... would have been sat doing nothing for the last three months and not much to do in the next 6 months probably :(

I wonder how many have sold, Tony, there must just be a handful of forum members with them, and I haven't actually seen rave reviews??...

I wonder how many have sold, Tony, there must just be a handful of forum members with them, and I haven't actually seen rave reviews??...

I havet seen any reviews in the sports communiteis that i am involved wiht which is strange in itself.

Also wondering... when this is all over.. does the price come down or go up ?

It'll need some spectacular reviews, I suspect, for many to reach in to their pockets at the launch price, but there seem to be offers coming out with some reductions now, I believe.

I havet seen any reviews in the sports communiteis that i am involved wiht which is strange in itself.

Also wondering... when this is all over.. does the price come down or go up ?
Could be because there are no sports to shoot at present

Tony I suppose you got an invite to try out a mk3 (amongst other things) from Canon this week?.....possibly not much point if there's no sports for you to shoot at!!

George.

Tony I suppose you got an invite to try out a mk3 (amongst other things) from Canon this week?.....possibly not much point if there's no sports for you to shoot at!!

George.

No point... Have done some dog shoots in last week or so but nothing that would test a mkIII ... Lat time I asked canon for a pre buy loan of the mkII and they lent me one for a few weeks... It convinced me to buy one.. especially the anti flicker which i didnt know about until i tested one.. .. I havent bothered loaning one this time ..

I haven’t seen all the reviews but my Mk2 had the same issue. They didn’t recall the Mk2 for this reason so unlikely they’ll recall this one.

Link to YouTube post;
View: https://youtu.be/KbGrCCS4GXU

Dust, dirt or oil spatter.... ?

Still a bit of a downer after parting with £6.5k
I had an idea it would be the same- and it is. Having put up with a dirty sensor on the 1dx2 - I knew that if it was the same on the 1dx3 I wouldn't buy. And I haven't. And I won't. (And also because it's too expensive!)

I got my 1dx3 yesterday, it's an impressive machine for sure.
I agonised for many months over the subject of Mirrorless vs DSLR and as you can tell, went DSLR.

The things I couldn't get on with regards mirrorless were, EVF lag/clarity and the diminutive proportions. Plus I already own EF glass.

Which body did you come from, was it a mk2?

George

I got my 1dx3 yesterday, it's an impressive machine for sure.
I agonised for many months over the subject of Mirrorless vs DSLR and as you can tell, went DSLR.

The things I couldn't get on with regards mirrorless were, EVF lag/clarity and the diminutive proportions. Plus I already own EF glass.
Isn't the 1DXIII supposed to be a very good mirrorless camera too. Get a Zacuto type loupe for the LCD and it could be the best of both worlds. ;)

Alternative EOS 1DX Mk II/III strap!

If, like myself, you find the 1DX series somewhat of a millstone around your neck if used with the supplied thin strap, try getting hole of a Canon Lens Wide Strap B as supplied with the 300mm f2.8 etc. Thickly padded and with a grippy neoprene shoulder pad, it makes the whole carrying experience significantly more comfortable, if not actually lighter. Fits the Pead Design AL-4 Anchor Links too!

ATB, J

Back