Canon 1D3 or 1D4

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
thinking about moving up from a 1D3 to a 1D4 body ,is there that much difference ,if any between the functionality of the bodies I.e I know you gain 6mp and twin processors but has anyone else made the move previously and seen a improvement in iq .
I have ruled out returning to a 1.6 crop camera as I prefer the larger sensor quality ,if there's not enough in it to warrant a change any suggestions as to what next ,I have already owned or used 80D ,7D2 ,and most other canon bodies .i only shoot wildlife and use mainly a sigma 150-600 sport .
Recently looked at Panasonic micro four thirds bodies to but I'm sat on the fence with that .
The only other option i can think of is a 5d2 that's within my pension budget range ?..??..?

Hello Jeff,
I did exactly this last year, and was very impressed with the improvement in image quality. Take a look here for more information regarding the differences between the two models.
Best regards,
RoyM

cheers for that ,just done a camera body and lens match on juza and its pretty well convinced me .just got to wait for now for a image theft payment to clear and i'll go ahead .

Jeff,

It's definitely an upgrade, AF is better, higher ISO is better and the MP count is good. Maybe ask Den, he went that path a while back. I know you like your 1d3, so whats it not doing that you want it to?

If you have the money available then why not?

I'd discount the M4/3 route simply for the AF on offer for what you want. They produce good IQ images, but I think the continuous AF would frustrate you.

Mike

cheers mike ,just grabbing the chance while the moneys available really ,i.m.h.o the 80D was i.q overkill the 1D4 is familiar territory with upgrades ,and strikes the right balance for me .might as well do it while i'm still strong enough to hold one .nothing at all wrong with the 1d3 either .

Just upgraded my body Jeff to the 1dx ...but i tell you what i aint getting shut of the 1dmkiv .....
The mk3 to the 4 is a massive jump and saying you have had the mk 3 you will be shooting straight away with the mk4......Ps could do with a meet up at some point Jeff i could then bring the mk4 for you to try out

Last edited:
Jeff I can't help with your choices,just wanted to say all the luck. My mark 1Div is a wonderful tool, I can't wait to see what you capture with your when you get one.

good luck

stu

Back