Canon 1Ds MK I - Owners Thread

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,
I had a look on here and could not see one, so.. Here it is, the 'official' (Maybe).. talk:photography Canon 1Ds MK I - Owners Thread.

I have owned one since 2010, and previous Canons had been the 350D and 10D
What a Difference full frame makes using the 1Ds!
Coupled with my EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens, Wide shots seem positively expansive. And using the Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM as my walkabout lens, is a dream.

What are Your thoughts, tips and pictures taken with this venerable 'old' workhorse?

I used one for a couple of years, try not to shoot much over 400 and watch out for blown highlights.

Dust is the main problem (no inbuilt sensor cleaning) I used to dread shooting at F11 or smaller.

It does produce wonderful "film" like files and when I got mine in 2003 it was miles ahead of anything else on the market at the time, including price.

I bought one in January 2011 from ebay in need of a shutter replacement, sent it down to Canon at Elstree, they popped a new one in and off I went, it was my main landscape camera till November 2011 when I upgraded to the 1Ds Mk2.

As an introduction to full frame it was superb, plus the lovely build of the 1 series.

Tips? 7dayshop NP-E3s are great, and only about £15 each. Get a decent strap for it, they're a heavy old beast and a days worth of use will kill your neck on the standard strap. Black Rapid is recommended.

Back